Bark paths on allotment

• 5 Replies

ptarmigan

Bark paths on allotment
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:15 »
I've got raised beds and a free supply of bark clippings.  Usually I put weed suppressant down before the bark chippings. Do I need to?   or could I just tip bark straight onto paths?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bark paths on allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:31 »
Weed suppressant membrane stops perennial weeds from growing through the bark chipping, or any germinating seedlings from pushing their way up too.

Works well for me
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 16:54 »
Either way has it's issues. I use bark paths. If you are looking for year long growth free paths, put down a membrane first. Bark/mulch has to be really quite thick to stop the usual suspects coming through. But membrane is not foolproof in itself  over narrow paths and snaking roots can still invade the beds.

My paths get moved around every year or two, so I use the woodchip as a compost for future beds in effect, and therefore no membrane. Blown in weed seeds root in the bark chippings but are easier to remove with membrane underneath. I guess I spend overall about half a day a year clearing my no membrane chipped paths from weeds/couch. Not a huge amount of time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 16:58 by victoria park »

snow white

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 17:37 »
Part of my paths have membrane down and part don't.  There is not much difference to be honest in weed growth.  Dandelions still manage to grow through the membrane from drifting seeds.  Do what you have time and money for.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 21:13 »
Part of my paths have membrane down and part don't.  There is not much difference to be honest in weed growth.  Dandelions still manage to grow through the membrane from drifting seeds.  Do what you have time and money for.

For the third, I'd second Victoria and Snow White. There isn't much difference. If you have no time, energy, do not want  to spend on it, of course, you can do it without the membrane. It will be easier to move, if you change your mind about the lay-out.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 23:09 »

I have all my paths covered with bark and re do them most years, but the moles love them, though they don't interfere with the raised beds as a result!

A tree contractor dumps a regular supply, so that he does not have to pay to dispose of it!
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
Bark clippings for allotment paths

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 22:18
by Madame Cholet
xx
Bark for paths?

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 15:08
by celjaci
xx
Paths on the allotment

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 12:01
by compostqueen
xx
paths on allotment

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 20:44
by titch

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 38 queries.