Early start!

• 12 Replies

jjherts

Early start!
« on: February 17, 2008, 18:53 »
Well I've been watching the long term weather and by the sounds of it, it is going to warm up this week with night temperatures in the south into double figures.  So I've bitten the bullet and planted my first and second early potatoes!  I've covered them up well and they should be above ground in the next three weeks, by which time I will be earthing them up against late frosts.  I did the same last year and had the first new potatoes on the entire site!

Shallots, garlic and japanese winter onions are growing slowly. Broad beans under cloches are now 8 inches high.  They're doing well as they are Sutton variety.  I grew Aqua Dulcia last year and although a great crop, they were far too tall for my half plot.

Let's hope the weather holds down here in Hertfordshire...

Have sown parsnips in toilet rolls and are in the cold greenhouse.  Also pepper plant seedlings and tomato seedlings are in the warmer conservatory.

This week I will cut toilet rolls saved from friends and home in half to sow beetroot and turnips ready for an early crop.

Covered up my rhubarb with a cloche, it's already sprouting and has suffered some frost damage.  

Fruit tree buds are just beginning to burst.  Spring is definitely earlier each year.

John

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Early start!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 19:03 »

Wildeone

Early start!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 19:15 »
welcome to the mad house
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

flowergirl

Early start!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 19:31 »
sowed some spring onions, carrots and lettuce in the poly tunnel thing, ok i know its very early but hay ho :D

frogdoctor

Early start!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 19:47 »
Well done jj, keep a keen eye on things, and all will be ok.... :)
Respect

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Early start!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 19:58 »
Yep spring is on it's way noticed a plum tree flowering down the lottie today  :D  Welcome to the forums John  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matron

Early start!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 22:53 »
Welcome. You are lucky, our ground is still frozen and you can't even get a spade in it. Just as well really as T&M still haven't even delivered my potatoes yet.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Early start!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 23:39 »
Quote from: "matron"
Welcome. You are lucky, our ground is still frozen and you can't even get a spade in it.

Same here Matron! It's either too frozen or too wet! :cry:

Welcome to you JJ

Please send some of your warmer weather up North!  :wink:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Early start!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:32 »
Definitely too cold and frozen today.  Hubby went out to the car at 6.30 this morning and it was -5 here.

Snap Dragon we will have to compare notes we live in the same area and it is my first time growing veg unless you count the few carrots I grew in a pot last year.

I get my allotment in a couple of weeks I can't wait  :D
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

paintedlady

Early start!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:01 »
Hertfordshire is hardly the deep south - isn't it just a tad too early for any potatoe no matter how deep they are planted :shock:

Have to confess I have got loads of stuff germinating in the house.  I'm getting quite excited now so I can understand the hint of impatience :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Early start!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 17:21 »
Quote from: "chicken soup"
Definitely too cold and frozen today.  Hubby went out to the car at 6.30 this morning and it was -5 here.

Snap Dragon we will have to compare notes we live in the same area and it is my first time growing veg unless you count the few carrots I grew in a pot last year.

I get my allotment in a couple of weeks I can't wait  :D

Hi Chicken Soup

Where abouts are you? I'm in Driffield. There are a few of us here from E Yorks.

I like your signature.... your OH is right at the end! Ha ha, just like my house - girls and cats first!!

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Early start!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 18:00 »
:shock: ... jj ... which bit of Herts are you in ?? Watford Metcheck is saying -2 tonight, and for tomorrow !! With wind chills of -5! :?
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Early start!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 08:19 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
Hi Chicken Soup

Where abouts are you? I'm in Driffield. There are a few of us here from E Yorks.

I like your signature.... your OH is right at the end! Ha ha, just like my house - girls and cats first!!

:lol: I'm not that far from you then I live in HOSM near Market Weighton. :D

Hubby said on his way to work yesterday at Howden it was -8 and very foggy so I was pleased I was still tucked up in bed. :lol:   This morning it must be warming up only -3 hence I am up and about.  :D  :D Now I wonder if the water for the rabbit and chickens is frozen up like it was yesterday?

xx
Early start toms

Started by tiny50 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 21:15
by richyrich7
xx
getting a early start on carrots

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 14:03
by DD.
xx
Is it to early to start tomato plant seeds

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 09:02
by mikem
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.