Is it to early to start tomato plant seeds

• 12 Replies

LILLILEAF

Is it to early to start tomato plant seeds
« on: January 25, 2020, 20:18 »
I am ready to plant my tomato seeds but is it to early to start them off.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it to early to start tomato plant seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 20:30 »
Do you have growlights? I'd say you wont have enough sunlight to prevent them growing leggy otherwise.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 20:43 »
It depends if you have a heated greenhouse.  I don't start mine until mid March because my greenhouse is unheated.   

I find tomatoes grow too fast to keep them constrained inside on the windowsill for months on end.  If they haven't got a warm enough environment to move on to, all the benefits of early sowing are wasted and you don't end up getting tomatoes any sooner.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01 »
I'll be starting soon. In fact grow lights and a heated propagator are not necessary, but a heated greenhouse from March onwards is.

They'll spend 6 weeks or so in the house, accompanied by aluminium foil, on a well lit window sill, before being transferred to a heated greenhouse (well insulated with bubble wrap) with a minimum overnight temperature of 10C.

According to previous years diaries, I'm already a few days late!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:19 »
I always start a few of the smaller pot tomatoes, like Gardenpearl at about this time. I grow them on the window ledge until they can be taken out to the greenhouse during the day, and then brought back inside on cold nights. These are specifically to give me a some early tomatoes, and once the later sown ones are fruiting, the early ones go in the compost bin.

I wouldn't think of sowing the majority of my tomatoes until much later, as I can't plant them out until the end of April beginning of May here (even inside the greenhouse)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40 »
I just do 12 or so that are destined for the heated greenhouse. A later sowing will be made in March for the unheated one and another a little later for outdoors.

Stewarty

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 18:52 »
I'm just setting up my seed trays in the conservatory at home, and intend to let them acclimatise before sowing seeds for tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, maybe cucumbers and melons in a couple of weeks time  -  massive self-discipline on my part, aiming not to sow until mid-February....!  When I finally plant out into the allotment greenhouses I intend to do it differently this year, after decades of planting into grow-bags on shelves in the greenhouses  -  I've had various problems with various brands of growbags in the past few years. So this time I'm intending to plant into B&Q Verve multipurpose compost in pots. I'd like advice as to the best size pots to use  - all info gratefully received......

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 16:12 »
I'd like advice as to the best size pots to use  - all info gratefully received......

I use the size of pot that the supermarkets put cut flowers in. In fact mine came from Morrisons, there were some empty ones and I asked if I could have them.
I think the best results come if you gradually build up pot size from seedlings to the finish size.

Br

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 20:24 »
I’ve always wondered about that. I mean, how does the seed know what size the pot is?  I can see how it helps for convenience, but surely it can’t affect growth?

I find tomatoes get huge before I’ve anywhere to put them if I plant them now. And I’ll never forget the year I did it with beans and courgettes! 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 19:17 »
I’ve always wondered about that. I mean, how does the seed know what size the pot is?  I can see how it helps for convenience, but surely it can’t affect growth?

My basic understanding was that it's something to do with the compost getting sour if not accessed by roots - i.e. if the plant is too small to make an impact on much of the compost.  Might not be right though!  :wub: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 21:24 »
Well, that sounds logical at least. I wonder if it’s water-related, too. Repeated watering would perhaps wash the nutrients through before the plant got to them, and roots do need air as well. Ok, I’m convinced. I’m going to try traditional seed trays this year. I’ve always gone straight for small pots, but there’s a lot of wastage. And while pricking out seedlings is extra work, it’s hardly unpleasant (especially when one has no non-Gardeners around to moan about the uses to which the kitchen table and spare room are put!)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 22:57 »
I'd like advice as to the best size pots to use  - all info gratefully received......

I use the size of pot that the supermarkets put cut flowers in. In fact mine came from Morrisons, there were some empty ones and I asked if I could have them.
I think the best results come if you gradually build up pot size from seedlings to the finish size.

Br

Have used the 'Morrisons'  cut flower pots for the last couple of years , they are ok to use but the rims are not that robust , be careful if you need to move them.  I will be starting ours in 3 inch square pots and pot them into the "Morrisons" pots. They do look small after potting on but soon adapt to their new home.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 09:02 »
(especially when one has no non-Gardeners around to moan about the uses to which the kitchen table and spare room are put!)
Not to mention the kitchen forks and spoons that need to be put back in the drawer before my wife spots them - preferably washed first!

xx
When nto plant tomato, pepper and chilli seeds.

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 17:19
by Kristen
xx
Early start!

Started by jjherts on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 08:19
by chicken soup
xx
getting a early start on carrots

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 14:03
by DD.
xx
Early start toms

Started by tiny50 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 21:15
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 53 queries.