Help I have 19lb of damsons

• 24 Replies

Beetroot queen

Help I have 19lb of damsons
« on: August 26, 2009, 14:17 »
And all six of my jam and chutney books dont have a recipe I like the look off, I like doing chutneys so would prefer a chutney but I am also happy to do jam.

Question is with jam, no recipe I have found makes it clear about stones, it says remove some if you want too, well surely I cant leave them in, can I  :unsure:

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Help I have 19lb of damsons
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 14:22 »
I don't have it with me, but isn't there a damson recipe in Val and John's book?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 14:25 »
I don't have it with me, but isn't there a damson recipe in Val and John's book?

I havent got around to buying it yet, waiting for some pennies in the bank  :blink:

I have just pulled off a jam recipe of this site, just dont want to make all jam with 19lb  :lol:

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 14:48 »
Fair point!  :D

Jam,  chutney, damson and rhubarb crumble.... erm... damson gin....

I'm struggling.  :D

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 14:51 »
How about making a tarte tatin with plums instead of apples - or a plum upside down cake instead of using pineapple - or crumble - or is freezing them an option for the winter?

I've never made it but an idea just popped in my mind - how about a bash at a plum sauce similar to that used in those chinese duck pancakes?

- or in a fresh fruit salad of course!!!!  :tongue2:

Buntybunny

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 16:36 »
Hi there, quick post, lucky you  :D  Been using a great damson jam recipe from the list. Got jars and jars  :lol: 4lb damsons, I made it double each batch.  Yummy jam family love it!!!

Happy cooking  :) Buntybunny

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 16:37 »
Sometimes the plum stones are loose and you can get them out as you prepare the fruit.

If not, I've always found that the stones boil up to the top as you make the jam, so you can skim them out. Not 100% foolproof but you do get most of them :)

I think you'd have to get the stones out first to make a chutney though, cos i don't think you'd see them with all the other lumpy bits in the pan.
Good luck  :)

madcat

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 16:46 »
Damson cheese is what you want - then you dont have to fish the pesky stones out, but you get more than if you make damson jelly.  Jelly is very pretty and tastes good, but pound for pound, cheese does a lot more tea-times.

Put the damsons in a jam pan or big saucepan, cover with water and simmer gently for 15 - 20 mins till very soft.  Scoop out any loose stones and leave to cool a bit - you don't want to it to scald you.  

Push through a sieve with a wooden spoon into a big measureing jug if you have one, or a mixing bowl.  Takes a bit of work but you are left with the skins and stones in the sieve and the flesh and juice goes through.  Return to the pan and add 12oz sugar to every pint puree.  Then treat as you would any other jam.

Works with any small, stoned fruit - although you may need to adjust the sugar content a bit.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

madcat

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 16:48 »
I've got a damson chutney receipe too (parents had damson trees!) but I wasnt impressed with it.  Very sharp and smooth.  A little goes a long way - I found I used it in cheese sarnies to jolly them up for lunch boxes.  Let me know if you want it.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:08 »
Delia does a chutney has anyone tried it

I have done one batch of jam and have another on the go, first jar was tried with breakfast and both kids loved it so bring on the damsons  :D

will have a look at the others thanks all  :D

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 13:52 »
The River Cottage Year has a recipe for plum/damson compote with a chilli dipping sauce as a side benefit.

Basically boil up damsons with water and sugar for 20 mins. Strain off some syrup and add chopped chillis and soy and vinegar and garlic. Bottle. Sauce done!

Take out stones from cooled puree and compote done.

I count the damsons in and so know how many stones to fish out. Tiresome, but foolproof!

Brambles

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 13:58 »
A friend of ours came in this morning with a dustbin bag of plums.   I am looking into freezing at least half, you can freeze them in sugar water with or without skin/stones, but I am trying a few just in the freezer as-is... :unsure:

Parsnip

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 16:26 »
Have you got somewhere that you could sell the jam/chutney?
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

madcat

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 20:55 »
A friend of ours came in this morning with a dustbin bag of plums.   I am looking into freezing at least half, you can freeze them in sugar water with or without skin/stones, but I am trying a few just in the freezer as-is... :unsure:

Likewise in desparation (there arent enough hours in the day) - I open freeze them, tip them into a bag once frozen and they keep and keep.  A bit soft when they come out but good for stewing or pies or jam.  Or liqueur! 

xx
DAMSONS. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THEM ?

Started by Eddie Spud on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 16:05
by Tim Munslow
xx
Very soft damsons!

Started by Richardm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 21:39
by Trillium
question
freezing damsons

Started by uppsiedaisy57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 21:22
by orchardlady
xx
Bottled damsons going mouldy?

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 10:42
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.