Recipe Competition - Vegetarian Main Course Dishes

• 51 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
We're looking for vegetarian main course recipes -

We’re looking for filling vegetarian dishes that use a lot of spices and herbs. Multi-cultural offerings are more than welcome! Let's celebrate the diversity that makes Britain great! This competition will run until Wednesday 30th June.

The best recipes will be published permanently on our sites.

There's Prizes! We've got a few great recipe books to give away that we were sent to review including The Great Allotment Cookbook and Grandma's Ways for Modern Days plus a copy of our Easy Jams, Chutneys and Preserves if you haven't got one.

The competition is open to all members and you may enter more than one recipe. The winners will be chosen by Allotment Growing at the beginning of July

The Legal Stuff

By entering you agree to grant to the allotment growing website group including sub-domains and associated sites thereof a non-exclusive licence to publish and use your recipe and extracts from your recipe on the site.

The prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternative. Prize(s) unclaimed after 28 days will be deemed to have been forfeited and Allotment Growing reserves the right to offer the prize to another entrant. The winner will need to provide their name and address in order to receive their prize.

Recipes should be in line with the theme of the competition. Entries that do not comply in the sole opinion of Allotment Growing will not be eligible. The decision of Allotment Growing to accept or reject an entry is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 17:17 by John »
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
Re: Recipe Competition - Vegetarian Main Course Dishes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 14:03 »
Come on you lot - I know there are loads of talented cooks out there! Get your recipes in. :D :D :D
Val
Recipes Galore!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 14:59 »
Sorry, used to be a cook and am a veggie, but nt keen on spiced food. :(

wighty

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 21:10 »
How many are we allowed to enter?   I can probably fill a few pages! Are we going hot spicy or just using a variety  of herbs?  (Note to self, look up Aubergine rolls tomorrow).

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 21:41 »
Imam Bayildi  (The priest fainted.)

2 large aubergines
4tbsps good olive oil
1 onion sliced thinly
1 green pepper sliced thinly
1 large tomato thinly sliced
Garlic to taste
1tbsp tomato puree
1/2tsp paprika
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
Loads of chopped flat leaf parsley.

Halve the aubergines lengthways.  Scoop out some of the flesh to leave something that resembles a thick skinned canoe.  Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add onions, peppers and garlic and fry  until softened.  Add  chopped aubergine flesh, tomatoes, puree, paprika, allspice and cook gently for a few minutes.  Season to taste.  Add half the chopped parsley and allow to cool a little.

Place your canoes in an ovenproof dish and fill with the mixture.  Any extra mixture you can also place in the dish around the aubergines.  Pour in about half a pint of boiling water around the aubergines.  Cook for an hour in the oven Gas6, 200C 400F.

Serve warm or at room temperature with flatbread, yoghurt dip made from cucumber and mint and tomato salad.

This is my all time favourite meal to serve to my vegetarian friends.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 22:10 »
onion and potato bhagies
8/9 tablespns gram (chickpea) flour
1.5 teaspns chilli powder
1.5 "      "      salt
1 teaspn ground coriander
1 "     "     ground cumin
1  "      "    garam masala
1 medium potato....cut into thin sliced/pieces
1 onion...cut into thin sliced/pieces
lemon juice......................oil to fry

Sieve flour into medium bowl
Add cold water as necessary to make a thick cream conistency
Add all spices and mix well
Add the sliced veg ensuring they are well coated with the mixture.
Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix again.
Heat oil up slowly intil hot.
Ladel out the mixture using a tablespoon at a time and lower carefully into oil, space them about to avoid sticking, about 6 in a batch.
Turn heat to 3/4 full and cook for 8-10mins until golden brown.
Taste and add extra spices for next batch if they are not spicey enough for you!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 23:29 »
How many are we allowed to enter?   I can probably fill a few pages! Are we going hot spicy or just using a variety  of herbs?  (Note to self, look up Aubergine rolls tomorrow).
As many as you like! As for hot spicy or just a variety of herbs, either or! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 13:09 »
Random Spicy Pasta

I often make this with Tuna or Chicken if i have it in but it works just as well with extra veg.

Some pasta (200g Dry?) Shells are the best as they capture the source.
Green Pesto (half a pot of bought or make your own with recipe at the end)
Tomato Paste
2x Red Peppers (Cut in half and roasted in the oven - after roasting chop into chunks)
1x onion (Cut into quarters and roasted in the oven) - after roasting cut into chunks)
4 fat garlic cloves (Roasted i the oven)
10 Cherry Tomato (Cut in half - can roast a little whole first for extra flavour if you fancy)
10 small broccoli florets
2 carrots (Peeled and cut into Cubes)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder/Kenyan pepper) (paprika gives heat, so add as much or as little as you like – I like it hot so use some Shri lanken chilli powder that gives some real heat)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Boil the pasta, roast the veg.

Drain the pasta, add the veg and stir in. (Let the heat of the pasta warm the pesto through

Add a good squirt of tomato paste, the spices and stir again ensuring all the pasta is coated.  salt and pepper.

Add the cherry toms

Drizzle oil if you like it – makes it a bit smoother and adds the lovely nutty flavour of the oil

(Haven’t tried this but might at the weekend - crumble in a little goats cheese on top and bake in grill for a few mins - could add an extra edge to it? Maybe even stilton?)

Apologies as ever, my things tend to me made by eye so i dont have proper measurements unless i make it again soon and weigh everything!

Veg can be added/taken away as you wish- Should be a gloopy consistency not too dry with everything covered

For pesto - i usually buy if im honest - good shop bought stuff is nice, and the cost of pine nuts makes it more expensive to make your own some times – more so if you don’t have basil spare!!

I usually use the following recipe

˝ a clove of garlic, chopped
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 good handfuls of fresh basil, leaves picked and chopped
• a handful of pine nuts, very lightly toasted
• a good handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• extra virgin olive oil

Blizt the garlic and basil, add the nuts and blitz again, add a bit of cheese and blitz.  Put in a bowl and stir in more cheese and oil until it is gloopy and looks like pesto! Salt and pepper to taste.

Is a nice tea time dish - not fancy enough to Win, but it is a nice quick healthy tea!
I hate signatures but love irony

wighty

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 19:53 »
Aubergine Cannelloni (serves 6)

3long thin Aubergines
Olive oil for brushing
three pack mozzarella cheese
4 tbsp Pesto (either green or red)
3oz cheddar grated
i/2 pt passata

Slice Aubergines lengthways and griddle, brushing with oil.
Oil a shall dish.  Cut Mozzarella into thin slilces.  Lay two slilce of cheese sise by side on each abergine slice.  Spread with a little pesto then sprinkle over a litte grated cheese.  Roll the aubergines up in rolls and place in the dish.  Spoon over the passata and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Bake in over 200C (400F) or Gas mark 6 for 25 mins until bubbling and golden.  Serve hot with crusty bread and green salad.

My FIL asked me what the meat I had used was and wouldn't accept there was none.  (He doesn't eat vegeterian).  Easy to reduce quantities.

GSDPenny

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:34 »
Haven't posted much although I've been lurking and reading for years, and have a very productive allotment as a result of the hints and tips on here.

I couldn't resist this competition though as we've introduced a couple of veggie nights a week, despite being confirmed meat-eaters, and this is our favourite so far.  My OH cooks once a week and this is his creation, hence the title.

BERN’S SPICY BEAN BURGERS (Makes 4 LARGE burgers)

FILLING
2 slices of bread (wholemeal or white)
1 tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
(Think broad beans, or borlotti beans, or a combination of the 2 will work well here and am growing some specifically for this!)
1 tin sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
(Hopefully this will be replaced by home grown crop late summer)
1 chopped onion
2 grated carrots
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Teaspoon crushed garlic
Chilli, cumin, fresh coriander, Cajun powder – to taste - will absorb quite a lot
1 beaten egg

COATING
Wholemeal flour
1 beaten egg
Breadcrumbs (wholemeal or white)

In food processor:-
•   Blitz bread to breadcrumbs and tip into large bowl
•   Grate carrot and add to bowl
•   Chop onion and add to bowl
•   Empty 2/3 kidney beans and sweetcorn to processor and blitz to mush. Add to bowl.
•   Add remaining ingredients (apart from egg) and stir
•   Add beaten egg and bring mix together
•   Shape into burgers – if mixture is too sloppy, add a little flour, too sticky, add a little water
•   Place on a plate of wholemeal flour to coat, then dip into egg and then breadcrumbs
•   Leave to chill in fridge for at least a couple of hours to firm up a bit
•   Bake in oven (at least 180°C) for about 20 mins (could also shallow fry, but baking is healthier and works perfectly)

You'll only need 1 burger each, but I normally open freeze the other 2 burgers before bagging.  Haven't tried cooking from frozen as I defrost first, but I suspect they would just take a little longer.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 10:41 »
I love the sound of those burgers.  I'm going to make some for my barbecue later.  :)

GSDPenny

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 10:59 »
Let me know how you get on - we've never tried this in case they end up sliding through the bars, but I think I'm worrying needlessly as they do make quite a firm burger, especially with a thick coating and ample chilling.

wighty

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 19:48 »
Layered Pancake stack (To serve two)

4 pancakes#
180g spinach
4 tb sp marscapone
1 onion
i garlic
3 toms
1 red pepper
2 courgettes
1 tbsp tom puree
30g cheddar

Cook spinach until wilted, squeeze and mix with marscapone.  Cook onion, garlic, chopped tomsl, red peeper and courgette until soft, add tom puree.  Lay pancake on baking tray and put halve ratatouillle on top  and spread.  Add another Pancake then spinach mix then pancake then rest of ratatouille then last pancake.  Sprinkle with cheese and bake `5 mins.  Serve with salad.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 20:49 »
I am getting soooooo hungry (and I have already had tea!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 21:07 »
I  Have a few more absolute favouites that  we cook time after time. Let me know and I will    pass them on.

thumbup
Recipe Competition #2 - Frugal Recipes

Started by John on Competitions

34 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 16:20
by Moosey
smiley
Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes

71 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 11:47
by DD.
smiley
Recipe Competition #3 - May - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

34 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 17:08
by Yabba
smiley
Recipe Competition #4 - June & July - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

36 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 09:37
by Patricia

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 37 queries.