Weepy eyes

• 6 Replies

Bess

Weepy eyes
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:11 »
I have a light sussex bantam who has very weepy eyes for a couple of weeks now.  I have been bathing them in cold tea and some times bicarbonate of soda also.  I thought it was helping but they got worse again.  Vet prescribed antibiotic ointment for eyes but now she seems worse.  Cannot see to eat or drink.  Just pecking randomly until she hits it right.  The eye seems swollen in the morning but it seems to me that it is a build up of liquid.  I have moved her to a coop of her own because others now picking on her.  I am going back to vet tonight but wondered if anyone else has had this problem.  There is no wheezing but I do think there is a bit of a smell.  Any advice would be appreciated

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Weepy eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 20:44 »
I had a couple a couple of weeks ago which started off with bubbles in the corner of one eye, which eventually swelled up and scabbed over. We think, and so does the vet, that it was mycoplasma. Both birds came out alright though. Hope the same happens for you.

Bess

Weeping has stopped
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 16:10 »
D - thank you for your comments.  Weeping of eyes has stopped but she is still not seeing properly and they are crusty looking which makes it sound like yours.  What did the Vet give you to treat their eyes or did they come okay themselves.  I have stopped putting ointment in because it was very strong but I continue to bathe her eyes with cold tea.  She is eating and drinking though again still "shooting in the dark".  I would be interested to know of your treatment

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 17:38 »
Bess - get her to a vet, if it is mycoplasma all the birds will need an antibiotic such as tylan, denegard, aureomycin or baytril.
Staffies are softer than you think.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:48 »
As Joyfull has said it is best to get the bird to the vet. My two which came down with it got through by theirselves, it took the first bird  tow or three weeks and the second only a week. I only spoke to the vet after they had both come through and so didn't get any treatment - for better or for worse. Again, as Joyfull said there is ample amount of antibiotics that the vet will prescribe if he thinks it is mycoplasma. Was it only one or both eyes affected? I was lucky, my two only had one eye affected and so could still eat! I hope this helps, although I doubt its what you wanted to hear, but I hope your bird gets through one way or another!

Bess

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 23:28 »
Vet has prescribed a five day course of Baytril.  Hen (Barbara) is managing to eat even though both eyes are affected.  It is a bit hit or miss at her finding the food and water but I keep a good watch and she is getting enough.  She does seem to succumb to things because a few months ago I thought she was a gonner with a twisted kneck and no co-ordination , but she came out of that.  I think she has been a wee weak hen from the start because she must be about 16 months old and has never laid an egg.  However, I am very fond of my wee weakling so I hope the Baytril does the trick. 

irish rose

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 10:48 »
Awww hope she gets better soon :)

xx
odd eyes

Started by flapper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 22:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
BAD EYES

Started by HAPPYCHICKENHOME on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 18:29
by ANHBUC
xx
's pecky four eyes ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 15:29
by peggyprice
xx
gunky eyes

Started by happyozchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 03:01
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.