Bedding killed my Chicken

• 25 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Bedding killed my Chicken
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:23 »
Hi - I've just had a P.M done on a chicken that was put down by the vet yesterday.  She had an impacted crop and had become very skinny.  The PM revealed she had a blockage in her gizzard because of the amount of her bedding she'd eaten.  I've been using a hemp based(?) very finely chipped (like wood shavings )product for months with no problems until now but had noticed they would peck at it a lot.
I need to change to a new product so was planning on a mixture of straw and larger sized chippings.
I guess I just wanted to post this as a warning to others as I feel I am responsible for the death of a chicken that could have been prevented.
Cat

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Bedding killed my Chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:48 »
That's very sad news.
The straw might not be a good idea as it provides a hiding place for red mite. Larger shaving would be ideal. I use a product called miscanthus which is really good and cheap too.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:02 »
that really is so sad.
I have used a hemp and rape based bedding for years without any problems. I can only guess your girl liked the taste of it as none of my girls eat it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:55 »
Where can u get miscanthus from?

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 15:30 »
Hi there,
I'd also heard that about straw and gave up using it a couple of years ago for that reason....so I've gone for a Mendip shavings bag but the shavings look really big, so I'm hoping that will help.  My other two (I only had 3) aren't looking 100% at the moment so I'm on tenter-hooks.
I've read that liquid parafin can help as oils like olive oil can damage their livers - has anyone ever used liquid parafin?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 16:10 »
I must admit I used to worry when I had my old horse on hemp bedding. I wasn't allowed to use shavings on one yard I was on. Horses tend to drop hay everywhere and hoover up later and must have eaten some. With the bedding being so absorbent I worried about colic. Moved the horse....just in case! I used large shavings with my chooks,  bale to last months costs about £7 from agricultural stores.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 17:55 »
As with Tosca - large shavings are just fine. Avoiding them eating long material  can be a problem as they start eating a piece of grass, cotton etc and must keep on to the end of it. It then makes a "knot" in the crop and this holds everything tight. Oils didn't seem to work for me, but white maggots had a magical effect. They're cheap (get from fishing tackle shop), don't have any side effects and are irresistible to even a bird with a full crop.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 23:19 »
Where can u get miscanthus from?
Any farm or horsey store should stock it for about £6-£7 a large bale.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 18:43 »
Same here - my darling got an impacted crop from eating bedding.
Sorry you lost her this way.

I am trying Arboise, but not sure I like it. I was advised against Wood Shavings as they dont compost well apparently.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14 »
When I used hemp bedding for horses I was advised to spray it with a weak solution of disinfectant to prevent greedy horses from having a taste. I don't know if this would be recommended for chooks! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

dugless

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56 »
I have used Barley straw, My hens did not touch it. and it composts quite nicely.

No red mites either
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:06 »
Sorry to hear of your loss  :( This was interesting to read - I have sadly just lost my 7 month old Bantam (vorwerk,orpy,sussex) Alys, vet could not say what was wrong - tried antibiotics, temp was fine but was though she lost use of her legs every now and then ?
Now I use shavings and shredded paper - so I am wondering if I have had the same fate.
So sad - she never even got to lay an egg for us  :(
Other 3 hens seem to be fine (although keeping watch !)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:19 »
I have used Barley straw, My hens did not touch it. and it composts quite nicely.

No red mites either

The other problem with straw is that being hollow, it holds moisture, which can then turn mouldy and can give poultry respiratory problems.

We always use shavings.  Having a big garden and deep litter system, we keep the pooey straw then rotavate it into the ground, often in my polytunnel.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 17:38 »
Hi just wanted to report that since changing to very large shavings, things seem better although my (one remaining) chook does peck that them but I don't think she eats them.  I sprayed them with anti pecking spray initially so they tasted bitter and this worked fabulously - would advise it to others if you're worried.  I did it in the morning and let the nest box air before they settled in for the night.

dugless

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26 »

No red mites either

The other problem with straw is that being hollow, it holds moisture, which can then turn mouldy and can give poultry respiratory problems.

We always use shavings.  Having a big garden and deep litter system, we keep the pooey straw then rotavate it into the ground, often in my polytunnel.
good maintenance prevents mould I change the straw daily.
I will say I am fortunate I get a large  Bail from the farmer for free, the field is at the bottom of my garden

xx
Chicken Bedding

Started by stujem on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 20:05
by jinty1911
xx
Bedding for chicken house

Started by allotmentnut on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:03
by mamashango184
xx
OMG I think I have killed her!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 06:12
by karlooben
xx
Chick Killed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 22:37
by pushrod

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.