Oh dear... so wrong, but the chooks didnt care one bit!!

• 19 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
The back door was open today and the chickens were wandering in and out of the kitchen as always when it dawned on me that the dogs food bowl was still on the floor...filled with CHICKEN dog food!!  The 3 ex-batts had eaten the lot  :blink: :blink:
They loved it..but I feel awful..chicken eating chicken couldnt be any more wrong, I know it wont hurt them, but I cant help feeling majorly creeped out!!! The girls could have been eating one of thier cage mates from the battery farm. Ooops  :ohmy:
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Oh dear... so wrong, but the chooks didnt care one bit!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 20:13 »
 :lol:

Dont worry too much, my girls run straight for the cat food bowl every time I forget to close the back door. I always know what I've done by the frantic peck-pecking noise at the bowl and 8 terrified cats running for cover  :tongue2:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 21:40 »
They would have noticed that and woofed the lot in about 2 seconds flat  :lol:  and sneakily too if you didn't hear them  :lol:  :lol:

They won't have known what is was Carla apart from yummy so I wouldn't worry  ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 21:58 »
Mine always go for the cat food too so I tend to try and make it fish flavoured fopr my sake!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 22:51 »
They were stealth chickens  :lol:  It was only because I remembered that they got caught! They hoovered it down, totally loved it..there was loads (I have a labrador!!) and they ate the lot. They had to drag their crops to bed  :D :D  Still, chicken eating chicken..so wrong. Im only buying non-chicken dog food from now on if they're going to start sneaking in. Cheeky chooks :)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 22:54 »
Giggle to funny LOL ROTFLMAO
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 23:16 »
I was at the supermarket the other day and saw a big sign saying "chicken pet food".  I thought hooray - they must have started stocking chicken food!  How progressive of them!  So I rushed over to look.

My hubby laughed at the expression on my face when I realised they were selling pet food made of chickens, not pet food for chickens.  :blush:

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40 »
My hens are little opportunists and will break for the cats' bowl in the kitchen at any chance they get.  It doesn't matter if it's chicken or tuna!  It's upsetting, but I sometimes wonder if it is just chicken flavouring on the same 'meat' or if it is actually chick.  Hhhhmmmm. :dry:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 13:17 »
I know they use battery farm chickens that have reached the end of lay in pet food, baby food and cheap pies, pasties etc. I dont think there's much chicken meat in pet food...just tubes and stuff urgh :/  When I worked in a pet shop, we refused to sell a leading brand of dog food due to the fact they used animals that had been medically put to sleep, your pets would have been eating meat tainted with medicine, disease and whatever they use to put animals to sleep. We just felt it was wrong. The laws of what can go in pet food are very lax.
My chickens have stood by the back door ALL day today hahaha, think they're hoping I'll leave the door open for them to stuff their beaks :) :)

Robster

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 14:53 »
Yes it doesn't sound right does it.  It always amazes me and pleases me that they run across the coop to snatch up the slugs and snails.  Actually makes me think about that being tomorrows egg.  And that doesn't sound right either

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 15:19 »
I was at the supermarket the other day and saw a big sign saying "chicken pet food".  I thought hooray - they must have started stocking chicken food!  How progressive of them!  So I rushed over to look.

My hubby laughed at the expression on my face when I realised they were selling pet food made of chickens, not pet food for chickens.  :blush:

I remember an uncle while in a petshop trying to sidestep the question " horses don`t eat meat do they dad" from his young daughter who was very much in love with ponies at the time. :D

SamT

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:52 »
Is it ok for chickens to eat cat/dog food?  I gatther these chooks have snuck in and eaten it but is it something you could knowingly give them or is it not recommended?

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:58 »
I believe that a little bit of protein is quite good for them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42 »
My chickens have stood by the back door ALL day today hahaha, think they're hoping I'll leave the door open for them to stuff their beaks :) :)

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhh yes - they will remember that treat and be watching that door like little vultures now  :lol:

They are very sneaky and quiet when they are up to no good.  Not as dumb as they look sometimes  ;)  :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42 »
Far from it  :)  Bird brains can be quite sharp  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Oh dear

Started by vanessa.xx on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 17:34
by bantam novice
sad
oh dear

Started by barley on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 09:14
by snowdrops
xx
Dear Georgie

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 00:19
by wildwitchy
xx
Winter Care for Poultry article

Started by Trillium on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 20:08
by Trillium

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.