Thin eggshell!!

• 7 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
Thin eggshell!!
« on: September 11, 2012, 20:25 »
Please can someone give me some advice about my thelmas egg, she is 28 weeks old and has been laying well for the last month until i gave the girls flubenvet layers worm pellets now her eggs shells are very thin and she has had a  couple of shell less ones to. they where on layers before and where fine they are back on them now cheers andy46
Pull up a perch!!

grinling

Re: Thin eggshell!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 20:45 »
Has she got access to oyster shell and greens (lawn or cabbage) which helps in absorbing calcium? Is she wheezy?

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 20:53 »
They free range round the garden all day eating grass and anything from the boarders that is not nailed down am going to get some oyster shell and she is not wheezing at all, she is just the same girl running around allday. as these are my first chooks and they where fine before worming i thought i had done something wrong. thanks for the advice grinling any more would be helpfull  :)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 21:20 »
Could be lack of calcium if they don't have access to oyster shell.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 20:46 »
What i dont understand is that they where fine before we wormed them and now i am having the egg trouble. "Still thats keeping chickens for you" I am getting some oyster shell friday will let you know if everything gets back to normal. Thanks for the advice  :) :)

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32 »
my girls went through this in their first few months of lay, but eggs have been spot on this year, no dodgy shells, maybe its just teething probs? I did make oyster shell available but they never ate it, they free range over 2 acres so I guess they have enough to keep them healthy.
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 15:59 »
just to let you know i have got some osyter shell and they have had some over the last couple of days and everything seems to have settled down,fingers crossed. Thanks everybody for the advice :) :)

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 17:04 »
One of mine always lays eggs with thin, rough, knobbly shells. She has free access to oyster shell, free ranges every day, and gets live yoghurt every night. I've put ACV in the water and even bought Shell Max to try. I've offered Poultry Spice. Nothing makes any difference. I've watched her in case it's IB but no sign of wheezing or any other IB respiratory symptoms. The others get the same food etc and lay perfect eggs with nice smooth shells. Can't work it out. ???
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

xx
pale eggshell

Started by Trian chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2021, 14:08
by Trian chick
xx
soft eggshell

Started by polytunnelheaven on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 12:53
by kimT
xx
Soft eggshell?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2009, 16:53
by pink-chicken
xx
Feeding eggshell

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 18:22
by Dickie73

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.