Tail Pecking

• 9 Replies

Junie

Tail Pecking
« on: November 07, 2010, 19:57 »
I have one girl who hs had what I thought was a long drawn out moult.  She had a bald patch on her bacj but has now regrown, but has lost her tail and it is bleeding, I have seen some of the others pecking it too.  She is not a shrinking violet at all and sometimesgives a peck back as well as a sqaurk. 
Do you think she is being bullied, are are the others just pecking because it is bleeding, or causing the bleeding?

Not really sure how to go ahead with this one...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Tail Pecking
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 20:00 »
it sounds like you have a feather pecker and sadly as blood has been drawn the others will join in as blood red can cause them to go into a feeding frenzy. Dry this one off and disguise the redness with purple spray. Fit a beak clip to the feather pecker - this will still allow her to eat and drink but not grasp any feathers.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Junie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 20:16 »
it sounds like you have a feather pecker and sadly as blood has been drawn the others will join in as blood red can cause them to go into a feeding frenzy. Dry this one off and disguise the redness with purple spray. Fit a beak clip to the feather pecker - this will still allow her to eat and drink but not grasp any feathers.

I have seen a couple of them pecking at her tail.

What is the purple spray?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 20:19 »
it is called purple spray and you get it from equestrian places, it disguises any redness and help heal. to stop the blood use wound powder or if you don't have any of that sprinkle on cornflour. If you don't have any beak clips then you can get some vile stuff called ukadex which works. But until then I would remove the feather peckers so that they don't make her really bad but let them stay in full view.

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 20:36 »
it is called purple spray and you get it from equestrian places, it disguises any redness and help heal. to stop the blood use wound powder or if you don't have any of that sprinkle on cornflour. If you don't have any beak clips then you can get some vile stuff called ukadex which works. But until then I would remove the feather peckers so that they don't make her really bad but let them stay in full view.
I made a huge mistake over this Purple Spray.I went miles to a place over here that sold it in their horsey section, AND it was mauve in colour. I wanted it for Monty when his poorly foot was being attacked by the girls. I sprayed it on Monty, but it came out almost clear, not purple at all. Turned out I needed the gention violet spray, which is the anti-pecking spray. I got some off Ebay, but unfortunately it arrived too late for poor old Mont!! Still Ive now got both, one an antiseptic, and the other to hide the redness of any wound. Im well prepared!!

Junie

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 21:01 »
I have just ordered some beak clips from ebay - hopefully they will not take too long, I have no purple stuff, but will try to disguise it somehow - I was thinking of very dilute food colouring???  obviously not red!!! ::)

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33 »
the purple spray has some herbal anitbiotic in it for healing. If you have any savlon spray you can use this. it changes the red(blooming) area to brown and tastes yucky too. the only issue is that is washes off a lot easier than the purple spray and will need to be reapplied daily as the purple spray is almost weekly.

Good luck

peter rooster

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:12 »
I think feather pecking is often boredom. I grow curly kale a good plant to eating pick young leaves early for salads, let it grow more for a cabbage like leaf. Best of all it just keeps growing from summer to spring. I pick a handful of leaves each day and hang from string on roof and a secong bunch hung on run wall. They spend ages pecking at it. Plus I have some loose straw that i push to a mound them put corn in middle so they have to scrat out.
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39 »
Gentian Violet when I was a little girl (yes OK many moons ago  :mad:) used to be used for painting on warts and for thrush in the mouth or ulcers, and even minor wounds,  it's very antiseptic, and its shameful that it is no longer available in pharmacies as its very cheap to buy, but then they prefer to shove the more expensive items at you.  alison

Junie

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 18:40 »
Pecking seems to have stopped..
Put some none stinging iodine anti septic stuff on her tail so it is now orangy brown  watched the girls and any that went for her tail got the beak bits - they weren't happy!  All powdered too, tried the Kale, but it got a good stiff ignoring!

question
tail pecking

Started by magiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 23:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Please help-how to stop hens pecking their stubby bit where tail grows

Started by heididobie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 20:27
by oborne27
xx
wry tail or rudder tail?

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 08:59
by sneezer
xx
Wry tail

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 23:39
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 39 queries.