Sore - what could the cause be?

• 20 Replies

scooter

« on: September 28, 2008, 15:21 »
Here's a pic of sweetie

We noticed a couple of days ago that she was losing feathers and thought it was down to moulting. However this morning we've noticed that it looks sore and appears to have been bleeding a little.  
She doesn't appear to be picked on but we have seen the other three have an odd peck.......don't know whether this is down to the blood as I know they are attracted to it. We've also seen Sweetie have a peck at it herself. She doesn't seem overly bothered by it and was quite steady when we sprayed some aniseptic on it and gave it a little dab.

What could cause this and what could we put on it,if anything is needed?
Life is good

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 16:41 »
It does look like she has been pecked and I would put some purple spray on it (available from horsey suppliers).  It is antiseptic and the colour deters pecking.

scooter

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 16:48 »
They seem to pecking her even more in just the last few hours so I've put some vaseline mixed with baby oil on it and hope that the others will give her some peace until I can get some purple spray

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 16:50 »
You may decide to separate her if she is getting badly pecked.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 17:08 »
We've kept the others locked outside the run for now and will let them all get together again when it gets towards dusk.
I don't know how they will get on tomorrow while we're out at work. We can't really keep them apart and we don't like letting them free range when we're not around  :(

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 17:25 »
perhaps you could cover with something? like a stretchy bandage around it and under her tummy to keep in place? or cut an old sock down and pop a little non adhesive dressing with a smearing of good old germoline? Otherwise that will become a huge wound in no time and possibly infected.
Good luck with her she looks like a lovely hen.

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 18:59 »
If you can just seperate her for a while it may be a lot better. One of ours was pecked to death......quite a long time ago..... when we were away and our neighbours were looking after them :( It takes no time at all for chickens to become cannibals when there is blood around!!

scooter

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 19:23 »
Think we're going to have to let her free range tomorrow while we're at work and leave the others in the run. I'll get some spray while I'm out.
We tried to bandage it but it won't stay on.
She won't leave it alone herself. The vaseline and oil we put on had all gone when we checked her and she's been kept separate.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 22:58 »
Hi scooter,

sorry your hens poorly, our silkie cross was badly savaged last year, open flesh on large areas of back, never thought she would survive, but we sprayed her with antiseptic spray and covered wounds with lots of germolene complete with local aneasthetic, we separated her from the others and fed her normal food plus chopped boiled egg, I was really amazed at how quickly the wounds healed up and how little she seemed botherd by it all. hope this might help :)  good luck
janet

scooter

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 17:15 »
The sore looks much better today but we've kept her separate up until the last hour. I've cleaned the area and sprayed some purple spray over the area (stained all my hands in the process lol.........yes I know I should have used rubber gloves) and they're all scratching around together. The others still have a odd peck when she walks past one of them but its only the odd one........they were chasing her around the garden yesterday. I don't know anything else to try. We can't really keep her apart again........found her wondering around the garden when I got home because she'd got out of the pen some how (its not covered; only the run is where the others have spent the day).
Will the odd peck cause more problems or is this to be expected since they've been apart all day and is the 'pecking' order just being re-established? Don't know what else to try.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 17:59 »
If the odd peck draws any blood it could cause problems as they will all go for it  :evil:

scooter

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 19:01 »
Just been watching them now they're back in the run together and they won't leave her alone. Don't think it will be long before they draw blood again. Poor thing doesn't know where to turn.
Think we'll just have to risk it tomorrow and leave her in the pen again and hope she doesn't get over it. It would be cruel to leave them all together during the day.
I don't think they will be ok together until her feathers have recovered but I guess that could take weeks  :(

scooter

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 20:03 »
Thanks for the advice Jellyhead.......not sure whether I sent the pm right.

scooter

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 17:36 »
We've managed to keep them apart again while we've been out at work. Sweetie has had the run of the pen and access to the house (to keep her dry) and the others have been kept in the run (covered).
Since getting home we've smeared the area with tea tree cream and let them get together. The others have the odd peck, obviously don't like the taste, and give up for a while after giving their beaks a clean to get the cream off. Then they'll go back for another try and decide it still doesn't taste nice.
I don't know when they'll give up and leave her alone for good. If I was Sweetie I'd just turn around and give them a good slapping........but then again they're only chickens lol.
We're trying to keep a brave face on things but it is sad to see her picked on; she's the smallest of the four as well.
We'll keep them separate again during the day tomorrow and will probably do now until the weekend.

The way they cuddle up at night together you'd never think there was a problem!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 18:35 »
Hi Scooter -yes it is very upsetting to see birds peck each other and draw blood, i was horrified at the damage done to poor Biggins' feet!
Anyway Ive heard that Ukadex is pretty effective at deterring pecking, apparently though its smells horrible! Heres a link to have a look...

http://www.merrydalepoultry.co.uk/accessories.htm

Might be worth a try??

xx
Sore eye?

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 16:24
by Beano
xx
Sore Bum

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 19:19
by mrs.ploppy
xx
Sore vent

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 14:22
by raeburg
xx
Help on Sore leg on chooks

Started by ganner on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 16:51
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.