What should I paint my chicken house with?

• 12 Replies

Henlady

• Experienced Member
What should I paint my chicken house with?
« on: February 13, 2010, 17:30 »
I'm just starting out and now have my hen house about to start building a larger run to it and hopefully get some hens in a couple of weeks.  I wanted to give the house a couple of extra coats before they move in and I have read of people using cresote to kill the mites.  Would this be better than a cuprinol preserver and my main concern is, is it safe.

janet12000

Re: What should I paint my chicken house with?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 17:39 »
Creasote is banned isn't it?

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 17:53 »
thats what i thought but i have read posts of people painting their chicken houses with it to kill mites and i was confused as it does stink as well.

janet12000

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 18:02 »
I have picked up loads of tips on here.
One is that when you have built your house and run, seal up all the gaps in the wood using buliders caulk (sp?) This gives the red mite less places to hide in.
I'm currently making a new house and run and have done this.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 18:38 »
u need not to worry about painting the inside of the house as the paint fumes could maybe damage your girls  spraying with red mite spray of poulty shield on a regular basis will help pervent any red mite investion .

protecting the outside of the house is a must u can use cupinarol ducks back as it has added wax but dont do what i did  :lol: :lol: an paint it on when the day is cold an damp it doesnt dry to well .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 21:05 »
lol, wait till the warm spring days looby,...lol

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15 »
Use a water based preservative such as either Cuprinol Ducksback which is guarenteed for 5 years or the Shed & Fence preserver which needs to be used every year.  Personally I use the latter and I paint the roof at least twice a year and the rest just once.  I think if the Ducks back lasts as long as they claim it will be worth the extra cost.  You should not paint the inside surfaces as it's not needed.  Don't use an oil based paint such as normal exterior gloss for example.  It flakes quickly and the birds pick it off and once you've used this it needs to be stripped down and sandpapered to reapply so take a lot of time and effort.

Creosote is now only available to professsionals and then can only be used for retreating previously treated wood.  It does help eliminate red mite but it is not animal safe so needed to be applied selectively and sparingly and allowed to soak in and dry for a couple of weeks before reintroducing the birds.  All academic now though and I'm not sure if it's replacement "Creocote" has the same red mite killing properities or is animal safe.
HF
Truth through science.

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:14 »
dont worry g/d i am  it will be done properly  :lol: :lol: :lol: when the new roof goes on as then i can get to the bits i missed and yes this time round the girls will be in bed they are green enough all ready .

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 20:28 »
thanks for all the advice, we sealed the joins and i have painted the outsides today, want to give them at least another coat.  But the concrete is down for the base and hubby is putting a layer of bricks on that to raise the house off the wet ground tomorrow.  I'm planning to use gravel around the house and in the run but the hens will have the garden to destroy as well.

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 22:19 »
I am sure I read on here somewhere that you could paint the inside of the chicken coup white as, although it wouldn't deter the red mites, you would at least see them when they turn up.  Is this good advice as I was thinking of doing it after filling up the gaps?

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05 »
I am sure I read on here somewhere that you could paint the inside of the chicken coup white as, although it wouldn't deter the red mites, you would at least see them when they turn up.  Is this good advice as I was thinking of doing it after filling up the gaps?

Red Mite aren't that dificult to see that it justifies this.  They hide in crevices and particularly around perches and once you know what to look for are easy to spot.  Any "white" paint will be picked off by the chx and potentially can be harmful. 

If you want to paint the inside of the house to benefitial effect then mix Diatom into a disifectant/ water base to form a slurry with the consistency of a light batter which you can paint on the perches and corners of nest boxes.  The Diatom will deter colonisation and kill RM it comes into contact with and will produce less dust than sprinkling it in the litter which isn't a good idea as dust in a confined space can be harmful as well as being a good vector for virus infections.
HF

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 13:32 »

Red Mite aren't that dificult to see that it justifies this.  They hide in crevices and particularly around perches and once you know what to look for are easy to spot.  Any "white" paint will be picked off by the chx and potentially can be harmful. 

If you want to paint the inside of the house to benefitial effect then mix Diatom into a disifectant/ water base to form a slurry with the consistency of a light batter which you can paint on the perches and corners of nest boxes.  The Diatom will deter colonisation and kill RM it comes into contact with and will produce less dust than sprinkling it in the litter which isn't a good idea as dust in a confined space can be harmful as well as being a good vector for virus infections.
HF

That is very helpful advice hillfooter, thank you for that, I will certainly take it on board.

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 15:01 »
If you want to know what red Mite look like here they are on the end of a roosting pole!
Red Mite.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 15:03 by hillfooter »

xx
what do i paint the hen house with?

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 16:02
by dizzylizzie
xx
Which chicken house?

Started by dub dub on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 21:25
by grinling
xx
New chicken house

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 05:12
by terri
xx
Chicken house

Started by speedy chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 19:32
by Vember

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 38 queries.