Poorly chook

• 3 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Poorly chook
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:22 »
One of my 40 week old black rocks has gone off her food and off lay (hasn't laid for days - usually 5 times pw). On Monday she didn't want to come out of the coop....for a while she had runny yellowy poo with little pellets of solid - now not much poo at all.
She hasn't eaten much since Monday - a spoonfull of scrambled egg from time to time and some mashed up layers pellets. She drinks when I coax her.
The strange thing is she's making a sort of clicking noise when she pecks, eats or drinks - a bit like castanets. No bulging of the crop and I've massaged her neck a bit which she seems to like - as she does a warm bath and blow dry!
I have her indoors in this cold weather and apart from sitting down all the time she's quite alert - cocking her head and inquisitive. Any ideas? I'm not really inclined to make a trip to the vet, so if this looks terminal I'll do the deed. But would like to nurture her if we're in with a chance.
Thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Poorly chook
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28 »
check to see if she is egg bound. She may also be in the process of laying a soft egg which does take it out of them. Also when did you last worm them? and what with.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28 »
Thanks Joyfull. I wormed them with flubenvet a little under 3 months ago. If it's time again, should I wait till she's well?

Egg bound? How far up should I feel? Not done that before! Is it obvious to tell? Maybe I should give her another warm bath - she's a bit mucky round the nether regions!
Thanks again, BG

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 14:58 »
They can make that strange clicking noise when they're getting broody......(I'm an expert (?) now!) :D :D

xx
Poorly Chook Help

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 18:19
by CattinJ
sad
Help - Poorly Chook

Started by duckling on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 19:16
by barneyowl
xx
sorry, another poorly chook !

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:51
by Sue33
xx
poorly chook

Started by atsndave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:34
by henamoured

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.