Wolseley Merry Tiller help.

• 41 Replies

Gwiz

Re: Wolseley Merry Tiller help.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 16:28 »
Ah, the mesh screen that was fixed to the top actually holds it all together, It should have 2 x 4ba screws. Under normal use, it should stay together. It seems as if you've got all the bits, so don't go buying new! ;)

aardvark

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 17:15 »
Gwiz,

Marvellous - will continue to get other bits to separate on me then in the sturggle with this thing.

I have also found a manual (not exact model - but closest that briggs and Stratton have on their website (mine being 130202 0842-01 - website only has 130202 0842-99) which states that the needle value should be opened 1½ times - I have read elsewhere that you should start on about 2½ which might explain the carbon deposits I am getting on my spark plug - so will also look to reduce that before breaking anything else.

Many thanks again and I will keep you informed.

Aardvark.

Gwiz

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 17:55 »
just think of all the fun you're having. ;)

one day you'll look back on this and laugh. :D

ex-cavator

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 20:40 »
All part of the learning curve. You'll be fixing your car next - think of how much money you'll save  :D

aardvark

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 18:20 »
OK - the latest...

Last timeI took it apart - I noticed that the points (on the lever arm) were quite pitted and the metal platted wire running from this arm had come disconnected from the circular thingy that it connects to.

As the clutch start jobby (earlier post) is comming part more frequently - decided to order some bots from briggs bits.

They arrived this morning so put the new points and the clutch start, and with a little help from easy start running happily again. Left it running for 15 mins tweaking the mixture.

Also connected the belt and the tines seems to move happily in both directions - yet to work out the differences between the 2 forward gears - seems to be the same speed.

The only issue I seem to be getting is that it doesn't want to start without a little help from easy start - any ideas on the solution?

If the weather holds up OK tomorrow - I will do an oil change and put the pull start etc... back on it - and see if it starts OK with that (rather than the drill I have been using).

Cheers

ex-cavator

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 18:53 »
OK - the latest...

Last timeI took it apart - I noticed that the points (on the lever arm) were quite pitted and the metal platted wire running from this arm had come disconnected from the circular thingy that it connects to.

All sounding a lot more promising. The metal plated wire to the circular thingy - from your new improved description (  :nowink: ) I'm now guessing this circular thingy (small silvery cylindrical part?) is the condenser - bit of a black art but basically important for ensuring you get a good strong healthy spark - as opposed to a weedy little spark that fails under compression. If you're in any doubt about the strength of the spark, for the sake of a couple of quid it's probably worth replacing the condenser as well  :)

aardvark

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 20:22 »
Thanks ex-cavator,

the new points set came with a new 'circular thingy' - it is attached to the spring breaker arm rather than the condenser - unless I am reading my engine manual wrong. High ligeted below.

Just wish I could work out why it is a bit of a pain to start it up initially.

I know I will need to run it for an hour or so to clear all the rubbish out of it - so hopefully that will help.

I'm starting to enjoy it again - big smile this afternoon :D

Cheers

Gwiz

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44 »
They can be a bit of a pain to start from cold, but you shouldn't have to resort to using a drill to get it going ;)
Basically, from cold, you are having to drag petrol up the pipe and into the carb.
Ive found in the past that you have a better chance of starting easier, if the petrol tank is at least half full, also, if the diaphragm is dodgy, thats not going to help.
The wire you mentioned is to help earth out the condensor when the points are closed.

aardvark

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 15:21 »
Right - did an oil change and the beast is still working!...

I don't think the oil has been changed on the rotavator since it was last serviced (sometime in 2002), I ran the motor for 5 mins - left it for 20mins to cool abit then drained it - is was like runnyish treacle thinning out towards the end (possibly water in there?).

Put new stuff in - but manual says it takes 600ml - I only got 550ml in over about a 10min window to let it trickle down (including a little spillage), so assume there will still be some of the old cack in there - will re-check next time I start it up. - might even do another change in a month or so after it has been used for its purpose. just to make sure most of the old goup has gone.

It still is a pain to start (unless I use easy start) - so it could be the diaphragm, I didn't open that area up on the carb (couldn't separate it from the main carb body :( when I cleaned everything else up - so decided to leave it...) - if all it takes is a couple squirts and and a few turns inbetween - then it will do for now :) - still easier than digging (and more fun).

Now to find a suitible container to put the old petrol and oil to take to the tip for proper disposal. (would a 4pint plastic milk bottle do?  or would it disolve due to the petrol or some other chemical reaction occur)?

Cheers for all your assistance and will keep you upto date on progress of using etc... let me know if you have any other ideas - tips.

Aardvark

aardvark

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 20:57 »
OK the latest (this is starting to annoy me! - and you guys probably)  :mad:

I have changed the diaphram and corrected the Ignition Armature Air Gaps (which I had previously dropped mistakenly to fit really close to the flywheel :blink:) so now it is set to about .012.  tried getting it started (although admittedly only 1/5 tank of petrol in) no joy.

The spark plug is alot cleaner now (more brown / clear than black soot) - I assume the mix is better since the diaphram change.

Still will not start without easy start assistance :( takes it 4-5 starts (easy start before each fireup) to run properly - could it be a poor spark? would a weak spark make it difficult to start but enough to keep it running once it has been started?... I did notice that the spark plug has a crack on the outer ceramic of the spark plug - will change that tomorrow.

Cheers

Aardvark

Gwiz

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 05:36 »
If you haven't done it already, clean the metal magnets set into the flywheel, also the ends of the armature that are directed towards the flywheel.
A dodgy spark plug will give you no end of trouble, so yes, it can make starting impossible.
Try not to use easy start, it's strange, but the machine will end up depending on it. ;)

smud6ie

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59 »
A method I have used for a number of years for setting the air gap between the F/wheel and armature is as follows: Cut a 90mm x 60mm piece of plastic from a 4pint milk container or other suitable thickness non magnetic material .

1 : Slacken the 2 bolts holding the coil armature.
2 : Turn the F/wheel so the magnets are away from the armature and slide the piece of plastic between.
3 : hold the plastic firmly and turn the F/wheel until the magnets grab the armature and both poles line up.
4 : Retighten the 2 previously loosened bolts and turn the F/wheel to remove plastic.
5 : Spin F/wheel to make sure nothing is rubbing,if it is then there may be some wear in the main bearrings and a thicker piece of plastic will need to be used to compensate.

Another cause of poor starting relating to an air leak is poorly seated valves

Smud6ie
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:01 by smud6ie »

aardvark

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36 »
Thanks all again (especially Gwiz and ex-cavator) for your advice, help and patience on this... it has been appreciated.

I played with the choke and whilst starting up - and it fired up nicely (using the drill) and no easy start.

put everything back together (pull start and covers) and wouldn't start :(...

let it a few minutes and played with the choke again - bang... all running with about 4-5 pulls. :)

left it running 10 minutes - gave it a 5 minute rest - started again after a few more pulls (and playing with the choke).

So my thanks again.  If only you were in a pub nearby - I would get you each a pint (saved a fortune - would have cost me £75 + parts for a service etc...) I guess it has cost me <£50 to get it running again (including replacement parts and oil for a service (excluding the socket pieces (20-34mm which I will use on other apps anyway)). And I have learnt a great deal.  :D  :D  :D

Will let you know how it performs after I get it working on the allotment.

Cheers

Aardvark.

Gwiz

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41 »
It's been a pleasure.
My Invoice should drop onto your door mat tomorrow to ruin your morning tea and toast. ;)

Glad to have been able to help. I look forward to hearing how it works. :)

ex-cavator

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 13:49 »
Glad to hear it's sorted. There's nowt as satisfying as doing it yourself and saving money into the bargain  :)

Tell me which pub and I'll be there  :lol:

question
Wolseley Merry Tiller

Started by DaveMort on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2023, 08:42
by DaveMort
xx
Wolseley Merry tiller engine

Started by Gareth Williams on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2024, 18:07
by Gareth Williams
xx
Wolseley Merry Tiller engine

Started by John Wrigg on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 16:29
by John Wrigg
smiley
WOLSELEY MAJOR MERRY TILLER CULTIVATOR

Started by MaryM on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 08:21
by MaryM

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.