Lavender

• 27 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Lavender
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39 »
Thanks Trillium, I made the Sables at the weekend and they were lovely!  :)

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29 »
Lavender scones are good. Just add a small amount of the flowers - it gets a bit peppery if you add too much - to a normal recipe. You may need to experiment as there are so many varieties of lavender out there

Swing Swang

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 11:47 »
Lavender is a component of 'herbes de provance'

I mix sausage meat with dried cranberries and a pinch of lavender and use it to stuff the neck end of turkey/goose/chicken/pheasant etc.

SS

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 16:23 »
Glad you enjoyed the cookies, Scabs. Almost all of Laura Calder's recipes are fab and so easy. She rarely uses 'exotic' ingredients which is a bonus to people who live far from trendy food suppliers. My very favourite recipe of hers is the Fennel with citrus. I'd never eaten fennel in my life until I gave it a try, and now it's one of my favourites. I could eat the whole bowl of it myself.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 16:35 »
I went to a place near Castle Howard in the summer that sold all things lavender - it was fabulous.  It's on a hill where you can look over Yorkshire for miles and miles.  The shop sells everything smelling, tasting and looking like lavender, plants too that they grow theirselves and it has the most marvellous tea shop.  A big massive plate of salad (and I mean big) which included fresh fruit and coleslaw along with four fat egg mayo sandwiches for just under £5.  A plate full big enough for a greedy fat girl like me and a weary hubby. 

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place but will ask hubby when he gets in.  It is well worth a ride out but you really have to like lavender, which I do fortunately.

scabs

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 17:06 »
Glad you enjoyed the cookies, Scabs. Almost all of Laura Calder's recipes are fab and so easy. She rarely uses 'exotic' ingredients which is a bonus to people who live far from trendy food suppliers. My very favourite recipe of hers is the Fennel with citrus. I'd never eaten fennel in my life until I gave it a try, and now it's one of my favourites. I could eat the whole bowl of it myself.

I'll look up her books on the Intramaweb then. Was this with fennel the root or fennel the bronze frondy stuff, which I have?

I went to a place near Castle Howard in the summer that sold all things lavender - it was fabulous.  It's on a hill where you can look over Yorkshire for miles and miles.  The shop sells everything smelling, tasting and looking like lavender, plants too that they grow theirselves and it has the most marvellous tea shop.  A big massive plate of salad (and I mean big) which included fresh fruit and coleslaw along with four fat egg mayo sandwiches for just under £5.  A plate full big enough for a greedy fat girl like me and a weary hubby. 

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place but will ask hubby when he gets in.  It is well worth a ride out but you really have to like lavender, which I do fortunately.

I'd be interested to know where that is... I have a feeling it was feaqtured on Gardener's World last year...  :)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 17:10 »
I think so.  They've also won all sorts of awards.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 17:12 »
Found it!  Terrington, Nr York.

Here's the link :

http://www.yorkshirelavender.com/home

catllar

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 17:26 »
Lavender is a component of 'herbes de provance'

SS
Never heard that one before. All the recipes I've ever seen list:
Thyme, rosemary, oregano and sarriette (wintersavory)
But, after all, why not?

scabs

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 21:21 »
Thanks Biz!

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 21:37 »
Scabs, this is with the fennel root. A lot of shops carry them now and they're not too pricey - you just need 1 for the recipe. Fennel is very soothing to troubled tummies as well. Fennel is the main ingredient in babies' gripe water (for colic and such).

scabs

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10 »
I'll plant some next year.  ;)

What can I do with my huge bronze fennel?

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 11:36 »
>Never heard that one before. All the recipes I've ever seen list:
Thyme, rosemary, oregano and sarriette (wintersavory)
But, after all, why not?

@catllar - thanks for flagging this (especially as you live in France). A quick internet search implies that Lavender is not traditional in french mixes, but appears in American ones. So now I know!

SS

xx
Lavender oil

Started by sloegin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 20:39
by catllar
xx
lavender and strawberry jam?

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 00:03
by Annen

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.