Is it Bumblefoot?

• 12 Replies

NormandyMary

Is it Bumblefoot?
« on: August 22, 2010, 14:44 »
Ive just had Mont in a warm bath of salt water and antiseptic to see what I could do with his foot. It is so very swollen, the swelling going up his leg. He has what I can only describe as a raw fleshy lump on the SIDE of his foot. I thought I might be able to squeeze anything nasty out, but its was rock solid. I cleaned it as best I could, and sprayed it with antibiotic spray. He's now resting in the conservatory, after eating banana and granary bread with butter and marmite. He was in the bath for a long time, I was hoping to soften the area as much as possible.
Anyone else got any ideas of things I can try? Im going to make him an appointment for the vets tomorrow. The swelling makes his poor little toes look deformed. Bless him, he's been through so much, I could weep for him!

animartco

Re: Is it Bumblefoot?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 15:24 »
hi. It does sound like bumblefoot but I don't think I have ever had a sufferer. However your 'treats' seem a bit iffy. It is not a good idea to give butter or any dairy products to chucks I don't think, and marmite while the vitamins are good, is very salty, so go easy on it. What about sunflower seeds and peanuts? They are my standard treets. Birds love them. Also of course birds need fruit and veg. Banana? Now? There are blackberries in all the hedges and they also love elderberries.
Hope someone else replies with a bit more knowledge about bumblefoot.
Hope he gets better soon.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 16:01 »
I know that quite a few of us give banana as a treat, and I thought Marmite was okay, obviously thinly spread. That's why I put a minute bit of butter on the bread so that the marmite spreads well.
I would never knowingly give my chooks anything they shouldnt have. They have always been healthy birds with normal poos.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 18:01 »
bananas are fine, mine love them (good for zinc I think) I would skip the butter though.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 20:52 »
If you go to Aunt Sally's information pages there is one about identifying and treating bumblefoot :)
Tried to copy and paste the link but didn't manage it.
Good Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 20:59 »

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39 »
Monty is booked in at the vets at 2pm this afternoon. I just hope and pray that it wont be a one way journey. I was assured by the receptionist that the vets know about poultry, so hopefully they will give him a fighting chance. He needs it after all he's been through. If possible, please send a positive thought to him for 2.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42 »
it could be bumblefoot.  One of the resons you can't "squeeze anything out" is that pus in chickens is solid, not liquid.

When I was doing work experience at a vet (many years ago now) they had an ex bat in for bumblefoot treatment, and the vet explained about the pus thing.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:46 »
Good luck and positive thoughts!  Keep us updated

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:12 »
fingers crossed this afternoon for you,   ive just got back from the vets with my new girl as it thought she had bumble foot, it was swollen yesterday and she was limping on it,  the pad under her foot was swollen and a bit at the top of her foot.   Vet examined her this morning and said it wasnt bumble foot as there was no dark scab or point of entry as it were and it was very soft so im all relieved, he did put a wee needle in it though to see if there was anything inside and it was just blood.    Keep us posted on Mont, hope its good news for you.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

NormandyMary

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 17:45 »
Monty is back home with us after a very long visit to the vets. The vet was fantastic with him. She said that he had an abcess on his foot (perhaps that's what the french call bumble foot),so she cut all the infected tissue away, coated it with antibiotic, gave him a big jab and gave me even more antibios to bring home. Ive got to bathe and spray him for 5 days, so he has taken up residence en famille again, so that I can keep him clean and dry. She hopes that he will be walking on it again within a few days. PHEW!!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 16:19 »
Monty is coming on leaps and bounds. Ive been seeing to his wound every day, getting all the nasty stuff out, bit dubious the first day, but one I knew I wasnt hurting him I was okay. The swelling has gone down quite a bit, and he can almost put his foot down flat now. Im hoping that by the end of the week, he will be well enough to meet his new hareem..and do the bizzz!
One good thing, OH actually carried Monty today for the first time while I did his box out. I think he was afraid of him up till now.

evie2

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 18:48 »
Good news about Monty, Mary, he's a real fighter, he'll think all his xmases have come at once when he meets the new girls :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Bumblefoot???

Started by julieschooks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 15:49
by julieschooks
xx
Bumblefoot???

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 19:32
by Chuckles
xx
Is this bumblefoot?

Started by Julias hens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 19:46
by ANHBUC
xx
Bumblefoot?

Started by helencrawford on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:32
by New shoot

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 34 queries.