Rotovator suitable for communal use

• 3 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Rotovator suitable for communal use
« on: April 14, 2010, 21:20 »
Hello,
Can you help? I could do with some expert advice.
I'm on an allotment site that came into being last year.  We have about 70 plots that measure 8m x 8m.  Most people have single plots, some have doubles.

It's possible that we might be able to get sponsorship for some communal equipment.  One thing that's being proposed is a rotavator for communal use.

Can some kind soul recommend an appropriate type of machine so I can get costings done?
I've never had a rotavator of any sort so I have no idea what would be suitable. Also if you think there would be ongoing costs such as maintenance, parts?
Many thanks!
Penny
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 21:47 by Ice »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

PennyS

• My website
Re: Rotovator suitable for communal use
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 17:33 »
I realise I missed off some probably vital information...

The soil is mixed.  Half the site is on quite heavy clay (on which most allotment holders are building or have built raised beds).  The other half is loam.  Most of the clay is quite stony, and half of the loam side is stony (possibly remnants from road building or local railway, not sure!).  So any rotavator would have to cope with stones.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Penny

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 18:16 »
Just so you don't think you're being ignored, I have read this but I don't have the knowledge of various rotavators to advise.

What I do know is that several threads similar to this normally mutter things like "you need insurance and to train everyone that use the rotavor or you could end up being hammered by elf-n-safety so it's not worth the hassle"

Not helpful, which is why I hadn't replied until now.

¥

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 20:53 »
Just so you don't think you're being ignored, I have read this but I don't have the knowledge of various rotavators to advise.

What I do know is that several threads similar to this normally mutter things like "you need insurance and to train everyone that use the rotavor or you could end up being hammered by elf-n-safety so it's not worth the hassle"

Not helpful, which is why I hadn't replied until now.
¥
Thank you Yabba, that is very helpful information.  I know absolutely diddly squat about rotavators.  Health and safety always gets in there somewhere doesn't it!!!
Thank you, Penny

xx
Best tools for communal use ?

Started by freckledbeck on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 22:47
by freckledbeck
xx
communal rotavators

Started by skyblue80 on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 07:26
by Rangerkris
xx
Shredder suitable for conifers

Started by vikingraider on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2023, 15:04
by Subversive_plot
question
Secateurs: Felco #8, suitable for cutting brambles?

Started by michellela on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 14:45
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 28 queries.