Fence height

• 7 Replies

steptoe and son

Fence height
« on: February 07, 2010, 21:23 »
With summer just around the corner  :D I've been ordered to fence off an area of the garden to keep the chickens off the lawn, path, patio etc.  She says that the children have to come first  :unsure:
Anyway, how high?  Should I clip their wings too?

Cheers,
Neil 

walker

Re: Fence height
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 22:04 »
neil i think the mininum height would have to be 6 ft and wing clipping aswell they could probably get over that if the really wanted to.
someone with more knowledge should be able to give you more info.
can you not build an enclosed type run that would be the only sure way of keeping them in.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 22:43 »
in my limited experience and seeing 1st hand that off others 4foot'ish  enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51 »
depends on the breed of bird - some bantams can fly really well clipped or not  :lol:
other birds will look at a 2 foot high fence and not bother trying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32 »
I have a 3ft green wire fence, and eight hens - ex-batts, Light Sussex and Rhode Rock - none of them have bothered going over the top. The ex-batts only think in two dimensions anyway, and while the LS and RR get up on all sorts of things, they've not tackled the fence. I wonder if it's because it's green and they can't see a clearly defined edge to know how high to go?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:08 »
I have a 3ft green wire fence, and eight hens - ex-batts, Light Sussex and Rhode Rock - none of them have bothered going over the top. The ex-batts only think in two dimensions anyway, and while the LS and RR get up on all sorts of things, they've not tackled the fence. I wonder if it's because it's green and they can't see a clearly defined edge to know how high to go?

I think they like to land on top of the fence before jumping down the other side and netting does not look firm enough to land on. My hens stay inside a 3ft wire fence apart from the LS who will go OTT if she thinks shes spotted a better egg laying site.

With hard fencing i would go with the 6ft high option.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 09:12 »
It does seem that the construction is relevant. The animal needs to see the fence and recognise it as such if it is going to be detered or attempt to get over. Secure tops or flexible tops make a difference as most animals won't land on a moving edge. The shape is also important as the animal will position itself to get over or onto the top of the fence. These points are general for animals e.g. a horse will run into a wire fence and be injured but will not run into a wall and foxes tend to use the top of the fence/wall to get an extra push with their hind legs. Having said that chooks have their own behaviours and quickly learn. Mine learned that they can climb netting and that a four foot stone wall is not only an easy ascent, but allows them to avoid other fences and walk into the neighbour's garden where they steal the dog food (! - if they keep on they will be the dog food!). Clipping wings might work, but again mine learned that they can fly like crabs to surprising heights.
Given that preamble, I'd suggest that for asthetics and to get sunshine into the children's area, you have two choices:
1. Use high mesh fencing. Our main run now has 2400mm high fences which are panels of mesh stapled to CLS timber and bolted together so that they can be moved. The advantage is that they are adaptable, reasonably cheap, strong and almost invisible (stain the wood). With a triangle support they have stood up to really ferocious gales and snow. The disadvantage is that they collect leaves.
2. Use a solid fence which would be a windbreak for the garden. A four foot fence with a high skirt sloping upward from the fence made of loose mesh would work without being too expensive (would look like a letter K without the bottom r/h leg). We've used this method successfully in our own garden and it can be used on gates.
HTH

eddy h

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:46 »
I have barnevelders which are not great flyers,and 4 foot is enough.What i have noticed is that if they have some thing in the run ,a perch for example to launch off they might go for it;

clip
Wire Fence - Best Height?

Started by MartF on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 01:02
by MartF
xx
Wing-clipping and run fence height.

Started by Diggit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 22:13
by evie2
xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
question
Height of run

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

56 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 19:35
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.