Heating a plastic mini greenhouse?

• 18 Replies

grendel

Re: Heating a plastic mini greenhouse?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 20:00 »
imagines 3 tier greenhouse cover rising up and floating off like those fire lantern things - followed by several ufo repports.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 22:22 »
Frankly, the level of insulation on these greenhouses is so poor that I wouldn't waste my time and money in trying to do anything with them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31 »
I have a 4-tier one that sits in my greenhouse. I also bought a fleece cover for it from Wilko and sat it on some polystyrene sheeting, then put the clear cover on, then the fleece one. I also had some fleece sheeting which I threw over it. I used a max-min thermometer and found that the inside was about five degrees warmer than the greenhouse itself. I made sure to open both the zip doors on sunny days to give it an airing. This worked for getting a small but early start to veg plants that will germinate at lower temps like broad beans. For outside use, I would say treat it like a cold frame. Get some thick polystyrene "slabs" and set it on them, put some more slabs on edge around the outside of the bottom edges of the covers like a little wall to prevent the lower colder air getting in there, and secure them with something, then anchor it securely against the wind. You can remove the fleece covers when you need more light. If you really want heat, then make a hot bed of fresh horse manure and straw like the Victorians made, and set it on that. Might whiff a bit though  :tongue2: and may not be suitable for such a small structure as it may cause damping-off due to condensation.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

richie

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 22:36 »
imagines 3 tier greenhouse cover rising up and floating off like those fire lantern things - followed by several ufo repports.
Grendel

lolololol brilliant....

xx
Heating an 8' x 6' greenhouse

Started by llinx on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 13:17
by stompy
xx
Greenhouse heating

Started by Nogger on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 12:57
by richyrich7
xx
greenhouse heating

Started by loobs61 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 05:19
by Fisherman
xx
Economical greenhouse heating

Started by tenderness on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 17:34
by jaap

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 28 queries.