Heating a plastic mini greenhouse?

• 18 Replies

JarHead

« on: April 04, 2007, 01:19 »
Hi all,

Can anyone help me? I have one of those 3 tier mini "greenhouses", the ones with the plastic cover and a pair of zips on the front. I want to provide some heat to protect against frost. Is it possible with these? I've seen a mini parafin heater that says it can be used in a cold frame but I don't know whether I can use this with my plastic covered one without burning it down.  Any ideas?

WG.

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:31 »
Hello JH and welcome to the site.  I can't see how you'd get away with a paraffin heater in one of those.

You can gain some protection against frost by placing plastic bottles full of water into any unused space (they warm up through the day and emit some heat through the night).  

Also, positioning against a stone or brick wall will help a lot.   Or cover the whole greenhouse nightly with an old blanket, tarp or black poly sheet - suitably weighed down of course.

JarHead

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 01:44 »
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is the heater I looked at, http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=C560

No good?

Thanks for the advice.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:44 »
Where are you based anyhow - good idea to put this in your Profile since you'll be asked time and time again for other questions?

Are you likely to get a severe frost now?

JarHead

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:47 »
I'm in London, the last frost date is late april. I also wanted to bring on some seeds in their as I am short of space in the house.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:48 »
Quote from: "JarHead"
Hi, thanks for the reply. This is the heater I looked at, http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=C560

No good?

Thanks for the advice.
No picture but I think my answer holds good.  A picture of your greenhouse would help even more but, if I picture it correctly, then a paraffin heater is more likely to kill the plants.

... cue 15 replies from folks who swear by them  ...

JarHead

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:50 »
Thanks, I guess I'll have to find some space for the seeds and cover the frame if we get frosts.

Thanks for the help :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:21 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

... cue 15 replies from folks who swear by them  ...

Swear at them !! get an electric one if you can Jarhead, if it's thermostatic it will only come on when it's needed and wont coat your plastic in soot etc. Don't like paraffin heaters at all they also increase the humidity in the air, increasing your chances of rot or mould and electric one will blow air around helping to stop stagnant spots.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

noshed

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:51 »
In London a plastic greenhouse will be fine without heat. I germinate stuff inside the flat and then put them out in the plastic prior to taking down the plot. I've got tomatoes in there now which are doing well.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

CJ

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 14:03 »
I have a mini greenhouse - one of the wooden framed ones.  When it is really cold I put a layer or two of bubble wrap onto the shelves under the pots or lay it lightly on top of the seedlings. This seems to have worked throughout the winter :)

shaun

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 18:17 »
if your cold frame is sat on concrete/paving slabs try to get a sheet of polystyrene to sit on the floor and put your trays/pots onto this
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

JarHead

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 00:37 »
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Tarak

Re: Heating a plastic mini greenhouse?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05 »
I know this is a old thread, but hear is three ideas that someone might build on.

1. Use an aquarium heater.

2. You can get cheap off ebay USB powered cup heaters to keep your coffee warm - might be able to hook these up to a rechargeable battery with a trickle solar/wind charger - then you would only need to recharge the battery a 12 vlt car battery about once a month..

3. I use a thermostatic switch with a small Snake/Reptile heater/mat. Before that I used T lights (little candles) but they only burn for about 5 hours.

Hope this gives you some additional ideas.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08 »
I should imagine the original poster doesn't even have the mini greenhouse now Tarak!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 19:57 »
I have heated a small mini greenhouse in the past with an old slow cooker in the bottom of it, and just leave it on if you have a possibility of frost.
Or you can use a 12v car windscreen heater which is controlled by a frost stat. it is always best to line it with an additional internal layer of material. you will halve half the heat loss.

Mark
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Heating an 8' x 6' greenhouse

Started by llinx on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 13:17
by stompy
xx
Greenhouse heating

Started by Nogger on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 12:57
by richyrich7
xx
greenhouse heating

Started by loobs61 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 05:19
by Fisherman
xx
Economical greenhouse heating

Started by tenderness on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 17:34
by jaap

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 36 queries.