In a bind...again

• 11 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
In a bind...again
« on: October 19, 2022, 16:32 »
Afternoon all - yes, it's me again, blathering on about bindweed.  >:(  A few years ago, the blimmin' bindweed moved from the raspberry canes to my asparagus crowns, which were in a raised bed. The problem became so bad I couldn't weed it out and didn't want to spray for obvious reasons. So, two years ago I decided to give up on the asparagus and smothered the bed with thick plastic and cardboard. I've just uncovered the raised bed and can clearly see bindweed roots in the soil, so haven't done anything else as yet. My question is, do I cover the soil back up with thick cardboard and in the spring top with compost to create a no-dig bed for suitable veggies, or do I try and dig as much of the roots out as possible now? I fear my back isn't strong enough to dig out all the soil and start again with fresh.

Plus, I fear the bindweed is starting to encroach on my other adjacent raised beds as well - I have six raised beds in total and have spotted the stuff in at least two others so far..... Help!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: In a bind...again
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 18:13 »
I would remove as many roots now as possible. The soil is relatively easy to work, and the roots will still be visible.

It will grow back up through a bed in spring.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 21:01 »
The best way to control bindweed is to dig it up whenever you see it.  If the beds are empty now, this would be an ideal time to try and get as much out as possible.  It will regrow, but in a raised bed it will prefer to stay in the loose friable soil at the top, so it makes it easier to remove.  No-dig will not make a difference as it loves growing under cardboard and through mulch and my own experience is that layers of cardboard and deep mulch just make it harder to get at the stuff.

It is a pain, but don’t put anything permanent into beds where you see bindweed, until you get them clear.  The other thing to consider is that it will dive under paths between your beds, so you can spray, or you can patrol your bed edges and watch for it like a hawk. 

Don’t panic and keep weeding  :)

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 22:45 »
I agree dig I had some under plastic for 2 year and it was still alive that’s what no one says about no dig u still have to prep ground correctly if you have bad weeds not that bad just take it steady dig a little at a time try and enjoy it get to know ya ground

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 22:54 »
As for your back you dig in half or quarter spits I rarely take a full spit on tough ground and it also breaks ground up more so you’ll get more of the roots use a fork obviously 👍😀

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:17 »
Many thanks Snowboar, New Shoot and Yorkie for your advice. I guess, as with most things in life, there are no easy answers... I'll tackle the newly uncovered bed and the others and dig out as much as I can now. The one thing that nags at me is that unlike some other perennial weeds the roots snap so easily, that I always feel they're almost waiting to be broken off so that they can regrow again from those points (excellent self-preservation strategy, that).  ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:40 »
we had a real problem with bindweed on the allotments everyone and his dog said you need to dig it out as I'm not into cardboard or black plastic or wasting my time trying to dig something out that comes and comes again  I turned to my old favourite Roundup, and I hammered it with roundup, and it done the trick no more bindweed and I keep spraying all our allotments boundary every year with Roundup to keep it free of weeds I mix up a small spray bottle of roundup so if I see any signs of docks or any other perennial weeds on goes the roundup and using roundup has made such a difference the ground is much cleaner and using roundup has not caused any problems with growing any veg crops whatsoever

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 09:29 »
Thanks Rowlandwells - I like the sound of your approach and think I may have to resort to similar, particularly as it’s spreading to my other raised beds...I try not to use chemicals, but sometimes there are few other options.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 16:55 »
Had some bindweed in my veg bed, just kept pulling it out everytime it grew, seemed to work, think it got fed up in the end !  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 22:26 »
If you have bindweed in with permanent plants - like raspberries - you can grow it up a garden cane until it’s about 18 inches high.  Then treat it with roundup applied by a rubber gloved hand.  I’ve done it quite successfully that way.  Some say use a cotton glove over the rubber one

Wipe Herbicides on With a Glove to Control Weeeds - Terry L. Ettinger Horticulture Consulting Services

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 08:18 »
If you have bindweed in with permanent plants - like raspberries - you can grow it up a garden cane until it’s about 18 inches high.  Then treat it with roundup applied by a rubber gloved hand.  I’ve done it quite successfully that way.  Some say use a cotton glove over the rubber one

Wipe Herbicides on With a Glove to Control Weeeds - Terry L. Ettinger Horticulture Consulting Services

Yes I’ve done that or let it grow a bit taller then slip it off the cane & push it into a plastic bag laced with the weed killer & weight it all down on the ground with a stone until it’s died, hopefully it’ll have taken up the weed killer the roots.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 09:02 by Aunty »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 09:58 »
Thanks Aunty and Snowdrops - I did try the weedkiller in a plastic bag method on one section and it did work. There's just so much of the blinkin' stuff.... :ohmy:

xx
In a bind...

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 21:00
by Growster...
xx
Bind Weed

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:13
by Parsnip
xx
Bind Weed

Started by Lari on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:24
by gremlin
xx
Bind weed

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 18:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 48 queries.