Chatting > Design and Construction

Raised beds made of breeze block

(1/2) > >>

Chivetalkin:
I noticed my allotment neighbour has filled their allotment site with breeze block constructed raised beds. They don't seem to have used mortar. I must say it all looks very tidy and pristine - almost clinically so. I can't see any good information online about using this material to construct raised beds.  What do members think about this? Pros, cons?

lettice:
Not quite breeze blocks, but you might want to check out muddybootz on youtube.

For reference the first was his 277 numbered podcast and then he updated at 278 as it did'nt seem to quite work.

I do think breeze blocks if a few stacks do hold together quite well. But, its more the soil and plant roots pushing the odd blocks outwards overtime that may be an issue if not fixed.
Also, wont there be be many small holes between the blocks that will become a great home for many pests to enjoy.

Growster...:
The good thing about this, is that you can lay breeze blocks, or any concrete block - even brick, in a dry state, and if you want to change it all, you can take them all up and start all over again!

I love the concept of dry-stone walling, and using blocks is only another way to build something! I have some really heavy concrete blocks holding up our bean bed here (we're on a slope), and they've been there for years! The mint grows through them and they get covered with 'Mind-your-own-business' leaves, and we love it all! They never move, (but they are darned heavy)!

Concrete blocks are inert, easy to brush off, and while they may look a bit 'ugly' at first, so what! They're cheaper than wooden sleepers, and much more versatile! Maybe try some 'L' shapes, or even a semi-circle so you have lots of holes etc.! Hanging plants like lobelia love them too! And, you can plant stuff right up next to them so it's a no-brainer!

So there's my take on a great idea you have!

(I may even try another similar idea here, but give me time...:0~)

Rob the rake:
Never used breeze blocks for bed walls, although I have made a greenhouse base using them. I have several beds with the sides made from 3 X 2ft paving slabs. The slabs are upright and half-buried. They abut a flagged path, which keeps them roughly in line and prevents them from leaning too much.

hasbeans:
The porosity of breeze might be an issue if you don't line the bed? 
I use whatever is lying around - rotting logs, paving, stones, broken wall - more chaotic and grubby than pristine and clinical!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version