Broadband (BB)

• 9 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Broadband (BB)
« on: October 04, 2020, 17:30 »
Anyone know much about maximising broadband speeds?

I'm currently on standard (phone line / ASDL) BB with my provider (Plusnet).  I've run a few speed tests and appear to get about 5 - 6 Mb download speed from the laptop over wi-fi, although it rises to about 10-11 Mb if I sit next to the router and plug in the 1m ethernet cable.

However, I only get 1Mb upload speeds.  This means that when sending larger (can be 20Mb) files over email, or downloading them from / saving them to the work system (currently working at home rather than in the office), it can take a looooong time.

I could buy a longer ethernet cable to plug my laptop into the router direct.  But I suspect that that wouldn't improve the upload speeds, which seem to be limited to 1Mb for this type of BB irrespective of who your provider is.  I think? Or would I be wrong?

I suppose, at heart, the question is whether ethernet would solve the problem, or whether I need to bite the bullet and pay more for fibre BB?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 17:32 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Broadband (BB)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 17:37 »
Connecting via ethernet cable will always give you better speeds than over Wi-fi, especially if you've got the standard Plusnet ADSL offering of the Sagemcom 2704n router which is a bit weak on the Wi-fi front for many people's hoped for usage (i.e. good coverage throughout the house.)

You are right about the upload speed Yorkie - 1.2Mbps is the absolute max for ADSL2+, and the only way you can improve on that is to go for fibre if it's available (speak to them nicely and you should get a good deal. ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 17:51 »
Thanks JayG, thought as much.  In fact I have a rather older router - the Thomson TG585v7 from 10 years ago   ::)

But from what you say, while the ethernet cable would improve download speeds it's not going to speed up the saving or emailing of files, which I presume use the upload speed?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 18:01 »
Yes, you just can't get more than 1.2Mbps upload speed from ADSL2+, whereas FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) should give you many times that, depending on your distance from your fibre cabinet (and what deal you sign up for.)

An online 'fibre availability search' will give you an estimate of what speeds you could expect:

https://www.bt.com/broadband/availability/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 18:16 by JayG »

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 19:49 »
Just a thought, if you’re working from home would work contribute to the cost of an upgrade? If MPs can claim up to £10,000 for equipment etc surely mere mortals can get something towards it all? Not of course that I regard you as mere mortal Yorkie, I meant the rest of the workforce lol  :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 20:41 »
 :lol: :lol: Oh what a lovely thought and if only  ::)

Unfortunately the employer isn't up for such largesse ... I've just also upped my fuel bill by about 40% to cover my heating for this winter  :ohmy:, and that's not going to be covered either.  Oh well, at least I enjoy my job  :D

But I have just remembered that I have some PowerLine adapters  :D, which essentially plug into your normal plug sockets and apparently act like an ethernet cable, so I'll get a little immediate boost (hopefully, fingers and work settings permitted) until I resolve the fibre aspect.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 10:03 »
But I have just remembered that I have some PowerLine adapters  :D, which essentially plug into your normal plug sockets and apparently act like an ethernet cable, so I'll get a little immediate boost (hopefully, fingers and work settings permitted) until I resolve the fibre aspect.

Powerline should enable you to work from a more convenient room using an ethernet cable without losing significant upload or download speed compared to Wi-fi, although if you have the type of adapter which outputs both Wi-fi and ethernet you may find Wi-fi is faster via the adapter than using the signal output from the router in another room, especially if it has one or more walls to travel through.

(Upstairs/downstairs connections via powerline adapters can be flaky or even not work at all - depends on your house wiring.)

jezza

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 19:46 »
Hello I dont know if this is of any use I dont have standard broadband, my mobile phone is my broadband I use my computer at one end of the room the phone is on at the other it  very useful if I want to take my computer outside  it can run up to 10 devices  jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 21:45 »
Thanks all  :D

Well I decided to go for it and move to fibre broadband.  Just the standard stuff, 30Mb+ download and 8-10 Mb upload.  No need for the ultra fast version with only me in the house!

I've unpacked the PowerLine adapters and have plugged one end in ... only to realise that the ethernet cable is only 1m long and my laptop is more than that away from the plug socket!  So it's not going to work as an interim measure unless/until I get a longer ethernet cable.  Ho hum.

I did think about the mobile phone option but I do have some people who call me on the landline, and am on PAYG for my mobile, so that was a step too far for now  :wacko: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:13 »
Hope your upgrade goes smoothly and you got a good deal Yorkie.

In the meantime I'd check the Powerline adapters work properly before investing in a longer cable (Currys do a 2m ethernet cable for £9.99, although no doubt they would be cheaper online.)

xx
Broadband suppliers at it again.

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2022, 09:43
by Goosegirl
xx
Changing broadband provider

Started by madcat on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:53
by al78
xx
Intermittent broadband reception.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2018, 13:41
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 48 queries.