'Bulb' energy supplier

• 5 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
'Bulb' energy supplier
« on: June 02, 2018, 15:26 »
Has anyone used this energy supplier?  I need to change my supplier and they're quite reasonably priced and use a lot of green energy - but are a variable price rather than fixed, and I don't know what their switch / service is like.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
Re: 'Bulb' energy supplier
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 16:30 »
I haven't used them, but they came 6th in a recent Which? magazine survey, and i know a couple of people with them that seem happy. I would be wary of variable rates though, there is a lot of insecurity in the wholesale energy market at the moment. I personally would recommend getting a fixed deal (I run an utility consultancy company dealing in business energy so am looking at the market and possible concerns for it every day).

Not sure if i am allowed to post a link, but whilst i really only deal with companies, i have also developed a domestic energy comparison site to help people, so like to keep on top of domestic suppliers as well.

The other point to say is that there are a number of the smaller suppliers that are in real difficulty at the moment due to massive increases in wholesale costs, some of these may fold in the coming months which could cause a few problems for their customers (mostly if they are in credit with their accounts, it can take a while to get the money back)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 17:34 »
Thanks, GT.  I'd got similar concerns about the wholesale rates going up, having seen info from Money Saving Expert.  If you're referred to Bulb by someone who is already a customer, you (and they) get £50 credit - and they're already the cheapest of the suppliers.  But it wouldn't take much for the credit to be wiped out with variable rates increase.

Another supplier with a low tariff is Tonik - but as you say they are a small supplier so bear a greater risk.

Hmm, tricky.

The site policies say that you can't post links in posts to websites you've got an interest in (though you can put it in your profile www field if you want, if memory serves me right).

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 18:30 »
No problem Yorkie, I thought that would be the case regarding links to a website, but have updated my profile  ;) if that is not allowed just let me now and i will delete it.

I always take online reviews with a pinch of salt, most reviews are left by people that have had a bad experience, not a positive one. But when offers like the bulb one are there, lots of positive reviews follow (for obvious reasons). These offers were cracked down on by Ofgem a few years ago, but seem to be coming through again now

Having seen the recent rises in wholesale energy costs, even though the big 6 have just announced increases of around 6%, there will be more increases on variable tariffs later on in the year. There are deals out there that are cheaper than Bulb or tonic, but again with smaller suppliers. In fact you can get deals that are fixed for the same price as bulb (give or take a few pounds a year depending on you usage) but again with smaller suppliers.

Whoever you go with, i always recommend to give monthly readings to them (if you don't have a smart meter) to ensure you can see exactly hoe much credit/debit you are with them, and ask to change your payment plan accordingly.

My advice is to fix prices for as long as possible, because due to all the various market factors, prices will keep rising for the foreseeable future (won't bore everyone with all the reasons, but it's actually quite scary how much they are likely to go up over the next 5 - 10 years - think energy efficiency!)

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 21:35 »
our previous elec company (no gas in the village) went bust and Midlands took it over until the contract ended. Currently with Iresa which has been pulled up for cust service.
We always shop around especially as there are no deals for just elec.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 21:53 »
We switched to bulb last year with no problems and my bills are less than the crappy british gas tariff I was on.  They are 'greener' rather than green as I believe they get most of their power from hydro, which is kinda ok in terms of those dams are built and better than fossil but I couldn't stay with them if they were looking to build more.  Hopefully they will spend some of the profits on wind/solar

xx
Switching energy companies.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 12:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Energy saving sites.

Started by dugless on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 20:59
by JayG
xx
Changing Energy Suppliers

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post June 01, 2019, 22:34
by jezza
xx
Energy Bill/Smart meters ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2024, 22:16
by jezza

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 45 queries.