Gluten free flour

• 4 Replies

Scribbler

Gluten free flour
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:15 »
Anyone recommend a good gluten-free flour for a coeliac sufferer with a brand new bread machine for Christmas?

Or had experience of making their own gluten-free flour by whizzing u porridge oats?

I'm asking for a virtual friend's wife.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

snowdrops

Re: Gluten free flour
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35 »
Porridge oats aren't gluten free unless bought as such. Various supermarkets stock gluten free flours
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:26 »
Plenty of recipes out there - try these for starters:
http://glutenfreeeasily.com/bountiful-bread-basket-top-20-gluten-free-bread-recipes/

There are many flours that are inherently gluten free and recipes will be based on these: rice, potato, sorghum etc. These tend to be mainly starch and do not contain the proteins required to develop into gluten. unfortunately as a consequence they will behave very differently to strong bread flour in the kitchen.

Bottom line is that if you want to approximate bread texture you're going to have to use binders (xanthan and/or guar gum usually, although there are plenty of others such as  psyllium husk etc).

For some reason we all go 'Ooo/Ahh, isn't that cleaver' when these gums are used by 'celebrity molecular chefs', but often object to them as 'hidden ingredients' in packaged/processed foods. You do the research and come to your own conclusions (although personally I think that the minutest amount of xanthin gum in a salad dressing is inspired as it stops it separating so quickly and helps it 'stick' to the leaves better).

If you're uncomfortable with the additives then the texture is going to be more like products traditionally made with low protein flours (i.e. 'cake flour'/ordinary flour) such as scones.

SS
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:31 by Swing Swang »

Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 17:50 »
Thanks for that SS - passed the link on and it has proved very helpful apparently.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 16:48 »
I am a long-time happy customer of Shipton Mill and they have recently started stocking a certified Gluten Free range in their Flour Direct mail order shop... http://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct-shop/flour/non-wheat-gluten-free-flours

I can also recommend the Gluten Free Girl blog which, while American in its recipes, is written by a GF girl who married a chef (sensible woman!)... https://glutenfreegirl.com/ She has several good cookbooks on Amazon.

If your friend wants a certified Gluten Free Granola, try Ludlow Nut Co... https://ludlownut.co.uk/luxury-gluten-free-granola.html

I am not GF myself but I have been customers of all these folks. Shauna Ahern's cook books were a great present for my sister who is GF.

EDIT : If they are just looking for some straightforward supermarket ingredients, I understand the Doves GF flour blend is fine for basic recipes such as bread.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 16:55 by DanielCoffey »

xx
Gluten free

Started by barley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 00:25
by LosingThePlot
xx
Gluten Free!!!

Started by Markw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 07:30
by Milly
xx
gluten free cakes

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 13:47
by Glosterboy
xx
Gluten free pizza

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 19:10
by chris23005

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 37 queries.