Forcing Rhubarb

• 13 Replies

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Forcing Rhubarb
« on: January 06, 2008, 14:50 »
In order to force Rhubarb does the plant have to be mature, or can you use one that germinated last season?
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

WG.

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 14:53 »
I rather think it will need a full growing season before you can expect much of a harvest at all.  I would advise against forcing it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 14:57 »
I agree there, the plant is immature as yet, also it is recommended that forced rhubarb is not harvested the following year as forcing weakens the plant.

So by forcing it this year, you will only get one harvest out of two years.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 15:02 »
Hmmm, probably not worth it then. But might give it a shot with the plants at the allotment, as they are well established.  Then I can harvest some this year off one plant, and some the following year of the young plant.  Thank you chaps!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 15:13 »
Quote from: "blackhobbescat"
Hmmm, probably not worth it then. But might give it a shot with the plants at the allotment, as they are well established.  Then I can harvest some this year off one plant, and some the following year of the young plant.  Thank you chaps!

I tried it once with a well established crown. Got one serving off the harvest & it knackered up the plant for next year. May have been me that did somthing wrong though!

WG.

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 15:15 »
That is also what I understand DD, forcing a mature crown basically means you leave it for the rest of the year to recover.  You are sacrificing overall yield in order to get an earlier crop.

Trillium

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 16:23 »
Rhubarb is the first crop I get without any forcing so I'm willing to wait for it, and it just keeps producing for ages. Never saw the point in all the early fussing.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 16:24 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Rhubarb is the first crop I get without any forcing so I'm willing to wait for it, and it just keeps producing for ages. Never saw the point in all the early fussing.

Tried it once.

Annie

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 16:42 »
My rhubarb is confused and has thrown up 3 7" stems,should I protect it  or let it get on with if?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 16:49 »
Quote from: "Annie"
My rhubarb is confused and has thrown up 3 7" stems,should I protect it  or let it get on with if?

Cut it & have a mini crumble!

Ours is sprouting as well, did this last year, I left it to get on with it & let nature take it's couse - it survived the frosts & we had the first rhubarb harvest.

SkipRat

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 22:52 »
I dont force rhubarb as IMO it takes too much out of the plant.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

splodger

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 23:05 »
i'm going to do one in my shed   8)  - force rhubarb that is  :lol: been out of the ground for about 6 weeks - half gets planted - half gets forced

sparky

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 23:34 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i'm going to do one in my shed   8)  - force rhubarb that is  :lol: been out of the ground for about 6 weeks - half gets planted - half gets forced

I dug up quite a few crowns from the new plot that was covered in weeds and left them on the ground, When should I re-plant them to get the best from them?

splodger

Forcing Rhubarb
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 23:45 »
Quote from: "sparky"
Quote from: "splodger"

I dug up quite a few crowns from the new plot that was covered in weeds and left them on the ground, When should I re-plant them to get the best from them?

ideally they should have been upside down - so roots are fully exposed - for the frost to accelerate dormancy.

the one to be forced in the shed will be started in a couple of weeks and i shall probably plant the other one at about the same time - depends on weather, ground conditions etc

rhubarb is as tough as old boots - especially if you have an old variety - the one i have - i dug up from someones garden - and they have been trying to kill it for years - as it was in a flower border - and taking over - they tried all sorts - but to no avail - mind you - i've only had it a short while - so there's plenty of time for it to die off yet  :wink:

xx
Forcing rhubarb

Started by amc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 14:01
by matthew2riches
xx
Forcing rhubarb

Started by brotherdeal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:30
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb forcing pot

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 18:01
by pigguns
xx
Forcing Rhubarb?

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 13:12
by RichardA

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.