cabbage root fly

• 16 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
cabbage root fly
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 18:26 »
cabbage root fly lay eggs at base of plant usually where the plant stem has rocked from side to side leaving a gap between soil and stem the fly then crawls down and lays its eggs the larvae then feed on the roots the proper collars are impregnated with insectaside and covers the gap between stem and soil if the female lays her eggs on the foliage it would not be any advantage to her what so ever hence they are called cabbage root fly
werks for me  :wink:

gobs

cabbage root fly
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 19:50 »
Quote from: "bigsprouts"
cabbage root fly lay eggs at base of plant usually where the plant stem has rocked from side to side leaving a gap between soil and stem the fly then crawls down and lays its eggs the larvae then feed on the roots the proper collars are impregnated with insectaside and covers the gap between stem and soil if the female lays her eggs on the foliage it would not be any advantage to her what so ever hence they are called cabbage root fly
werks for me  :wink:

Hence they are called cabbage root fly, as you quite rightly say, usually they lay their eggs in the soil ( which can be up to at least 12 cm distance from plant, by the way) and then NOT SO USUALLY  lay them on the plant, they prefer the midribs on cabbage, etc leaves, but some had them maggots in big sprouts, too, whether it works for you or not. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2018, 14:53
by Deborah1
xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 19:32
by allot2learn
xx
Cabbage root fly.....Help

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 07:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 17:12
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 35 queries.