A quick question about Spring Onions

• 30 Replies

littlemisssunshine

« on: January 04, 2008, 20:00 »
As many of you know this is my first growing season at my plot. I am now thinking about seeds and when to plant.

I have ordered a collection of seeds and the spring onions should be sown outside "late winter/early spring as soon as soil is workable".  Does this mean I can do it now?

If there is somewhere on the site that covers the bleeding obvious, please just point me in the right direction and I'll wander off to find the answer!

First season nerves, me thinks  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 20:04 »
Not here to disappoint, but personally, I've given up on spring onions all together. Not to despair though, if your seed is fresh and you got nice crumbly richish soil for them. End of winter in my book would be March and spring there after.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: A quick question about Sring Onions
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 20:11 »
Quote from: "littlemisssunshine"

I have ordered a collection of seeds and the spring onions should be sown outside "late winter/early spring as soon as soil is workable".  Does this mean I can do it now?

No not yet, the soil is far too wet & cold. As gobs mentioned, March at the earliest. I don't sow until at least early April, when it has warmed up and the soil dried out a bit.

Never had a problem with spring onions, but you have to be patient with the germination, and annual weed seedling can quite easily hide them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

splodger

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 20:13 »
spring onions - although you'd think they would be simple - can be really temperamental

germination being a real problem for many - but if you don't sow - you won't know  :wink:

for early sowings in the ground (jan - mar) i like to warm up the soil - either covered in carpet, plastic etc - or by using cloches

in my experience - there is nothing better than learning by trial and error - learn by mistakes - etc - rather than 100 different opinions - at the end of the day the seeds cost you less than a quid - will take up hardly any space - and can be in and out before most things get going - so suck it and see - if they don't germinate - do them later next year - etc etc etc

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 20:20 »
Wow you guys are quick, I only posted a moment ago.  Cheers for advice, will hang on until March time.  I am so eager, I cannot wait!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "splodger"
at the end of the day the seeds cost you less than a quid

I spent £1.90 with Moles seeds for a 50g packet. They arrived today - about 15,000 seed!! Guess what Mrs. D. found this evening whilst tidying the pantry - an unopened packet from last year.

Lettuce with your spring onions anyone?

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 20:23 »
:lol:

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 22:35 »
Gobs, out of interest, why did you give up on spring onions?

It concerns me when you say this because you seem to be such a confident gardener and know what you're doing! 8)

Annie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 22:42 »
I cann`t grow them either!There is a v.old thread on this somewhere and I am not alone. :cry:

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 22:57 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"

It concerns me when you say this because you seem to be such a confident gardener and know what you're doing! 8)

I just don't seem to have any meaningful success with them, Sweet. Bad germination rate and then they take a life time to grow(I personally tend to think all of them nowadays are a cross with leeks) as I remember when I was a child they were as fast as radish  four weeks or so, no chance, now. So I'm just quite happy not to bother and harvest young onions for salads, thank you. 8)

As onion seeds grow much more of a treat and all spring onion supposed to be is a young onion, I only grow onion seed.  :wink:  And harvest as required.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 08:20 »
Quote from: "gobs"

I just don't seem to have any meaningful success with them, Sweet. Bad germination rate and then they take a life time to grow(I personally tend to think all of them nowadays are a cross with leeks) as I remember when I was a child they were as fast as radish  four weeks or so, no chance, now. So I'm just quite happy not to bother and harvest young onions for salads, thank you. 8)

As onion seeds grow much more of a treat and all spring onion supposed to be is a young onion, I only grow onion seed.  :wink:  And harvest as required.

I think you are looking at childhood spring onions through rose coloured glasses, gobs! :lol:  I've been growing them nearly as long as tomatoes (43 years now) & they've never able to keep up with radish!

A spring onion is not just a young onion, it a variety in it's own right.

gobs

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 08:45 »
Quote from: "DD."

I think you are looking at childhood spring onions through rose coloured glasses, gobs! :lol:  I've been growing them nearly as long as tomatoes (43 years now) & they've never able to keep up with radish!

A spring onion is not just a young onion, it a variety in it's own right.

Yes, I'm exaggerating there a little, but I'm happy to use young onions instead. :lol:

What would be it's separate Latin name , please?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 09:03 »

What would be it's separate Latin name , please?

Allium thingymebob.

wildeone

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 09:11 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "splodger"
at the end of the day the seeds cost you less than a quid

I spent £1.90 with Moles seeds for a 50g packet. They arrived today - about 15,000 seed!! Guess what Mrs. D. found this evening whilst tidying the pantry - an unopened packet from last year.

Lettuce with your spring onions anyone?
can you grow them in pots?

Boothy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27 »
I grew mine in pots (well small trough style pots) last year

Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

xx
Quick Green Manure for late Winter/Early Spring sowing?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 08:37
by New shoot
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Quick question please

Started by mum23kids on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:20
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 34 queries.