What to do whilst on a possibly very lengthy waiting list...

• 17 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Is there anyone else on a very lengthy waiting list? I don't want to dig up my lawn as the kids use it to play....I am going to have to think of veggies in a couple of unused flower beds and we have a glass leanto laughingly called the "garden room" (what the estate agent called it when we moved) where we keep the recycling and the washing machine and tumble dryer. I could put a very wide shelf in the garden room (over the tumble dryer) and use it for grobags i guess. Would probably only get a couple in but it's south facing so they would get sun. I have a blackberry bush by the shed that is going great guns...can maybe put an arch up for that leading to the shed. I do have space to grow herbs... I'd like to grow salad leaves and I'd like an apple tree but the tree (s) would beed to go to the north facing end of the house i think and i am worried about it blocking loads of light from the lounge / front window.

Sorry that this is a bit of a ramble.....

Jaye

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:24 »
I revamped a disused flower bed and enlarged it quite a bi and also dug up some lawn, but both areas were not part of the main lawn and so can be easily protected from small people playing, not that I have any yet but will have shortly as I hope to be approved to foster in three weeks time.  I was lucky enough to inherit a greenhouse and conservatory too so use those too to grow stuff.  I got my allotment a couple of months ago after a 2 year wait.  you could do worse than spend a couple of eyars planning and dreaming!!  and growing a bit here and there too!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:48 »
Hi Jaye,

I joined the council waiting list for an allotment in July 07 for one of the three sites in my town. The list was huge and I was told it would be at least two years! :(  :( so I resolved to a long wait :( :(

A couple of weeks later an elderly neighbour said that there was another allotment site in town which had been left in 'trust to the people' through a will and was managed by a local estate agent. Low and behold in Sept 07 I signed a tenancy agreement and took on one of the many vacant plots (and its cheaper than the council ones!) It seems as if people didn't know it was there :?

I would put in some leg work and make sure there aren't any similar sites near you. It may cut your wait!!

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 16:59 »
Jaye, before i recently got an allotment i dug up a 1m x 3m bit of garden turf and planted runner beans and below them lettuce, carrots, spring onions etc, growing on 2 levels allows more things in the same space.  Remember though where the most sun comes from and plant the beans so they don't take all the sun from your ground level crops, ie smallest crops at the front where they will get most sun.  It is good fun for the kids too as they realise carrots don't grow on Supermarket shelves  :lol:  

CD
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

splodger

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 17:08 »
i have successfully grown veg in the flower borders - and most things can be grown just as well in pots

i've grown allsorts in pots - like lettuces, cabbages, leeks, toms, peppers and chillies, beetroot and radishes etc - just get a few pots and have a play in the dirt  :lol:

wildeone

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 18:53 »
I've been on the waiting list for about 9 months now and i've moved from no 169 to in the 30's - woo hoo.  

As for what to do while you wait....... grow a few toms and courgettes and post loads of sarcastic comments on here - werks for me! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

brucesgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 18:57 »
Like Splodger I grew veg in amongst the flowers in the beds, they are just as decorative, and runner beans up against the garage wall. I grew french beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and loads of other veg in pots.

This also gives you a bit of experience in growing stuff, and raising plants from seed.

Where theres a will there's a way  :D

Boothy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 20:28 »
i grew cabbage and carrots in an old 'side on' tea chest tucked behind the garage - half filled with tyres and other large junk, put in a tarpaulin (rmember to perforate) then filled with tops soil and compost - grew peas, radish, lettuce, spring onions, tomatoes, chillies (started indoors) in pots and troughs lined round the bottom end of the garden.  Still waiting for the allotment.
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 20:37 »
You could try Square foot gardening thats the UK site or Herefor the official US version, the system works very well.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sally A

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 20:51 »
Another take on square foot gardening is in Carol Kleins books Grow Your Own Veg, lots of other helpful tips too for larger scale stuff.

I got it via the bookclub at work (possibly Book people) for about £5

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 20:59 »
Any elderly folk around your way need their garden culitvating?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 21:13 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Another take on square foot gardening is in Carol Kleins books Grow Your Own Veg, lots of other helpful tips too for larger scale stuff.

I got it via the bookclub at work (possibly Book people) for about £5

Sally is that book good, i have a few already but the latest Marshalls newsletter reckoned it was quite good

CD

Sally A

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 21:25 »
It was well worth the £5 I paid, some of the recommended varieties seem to have disappeared, but the growing tips are very useful.  Can't see it on the book people website at the mo though.  Here's the amazon link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product//1845332938/ref=br_fq_3

I'd do a google for a better deal first though.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 22:13 »
Thanks for the comment guys. All suggestions gratefully received - you have some great ideas.

Richy I hadn't heard of square foot gardening before but it sounds interesting  so I have ordered the book from Amazon.

I have toyed with the idea of raised beds for a whle tbh - I have a book on gardening with kids and it had a plan for 4 raised beds put in a square with a path in between. In the centre corner of each bed there was a little piece of wood to make a little seat for small children. Then a wigwam of sweetpeas and mangetout had been set up in the centre so it effectively made a little den for them. They had grown spinach and beetroot and allsorts in the bed. It's definately worth thinking about.

Jaye

wildeone

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
Thanks for the comment guys. All suggestions gratefully received - you have some great ideas.

Richy I hadn't heard of square foot gardening before but it sounds interesting  so I have ordered the book from Amazon.

I have toyed with the idea of raised beds for a whle tbh - I have a book on gardening with kids and it had a plan for 4 raised beds put in a square with a path in between. In the centre corner of each bed there was a little piece of wood to make a little seat for small children. Then a wigwam of sweetpeas and mangetout had been set up in the centre so it effectively made a little den for them. They had grown spinach and beetroot and allsorts in the bed. It's definately worth thinking about.

Jaye
Is that 'Eddies Garden' my daughter (4) loves that book so much that she pleaded for a runner bean wigwam and loved it when it was built!!!

xx
waiting list's

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 22:57
by yummy
xx
Top of the waiting list. What can i do in the meantime?

Started by andimac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 08:38
by BumbleJo
xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs
xx
What to do with broad beans whilst away

Started by flynn95 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 14:19
by Totty

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.