Low maintenance tips please!

• 17 Replies

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
« on: January 01, 2008, 19:05 »
The likelihood is that I will be incapitated for most of this coming growing season.  And whilst my mum will continue with the allotment, it may be a bit too much for her by herself.  We haven't managed to clear the plot completely of the bramble etc.  What would be the best way of attempting to keep on top of it?  

I thought of strimming back the rest of it whilst I am still able, and covering it with plastic/carpet/cardboard etc.  Is there anything I can plant through this, bearing in mind that there are an awful lot of roots beneath the soil.

Are there any other things I should/ should not do?  Bearing in  mind walking may well be akward let alone anything else!

I'd be grateful for any pointers.  Thanks.
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

WG.

Re: Low maintenance tips please!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 19:08 »
Quote from: "blackhobbescat"
  Is there anything I can plant through this
Courgette, squash, pumpkin.

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 19:11 »
Courgettes would be good!  Do things like sweetcorn or runner beans work in that scenario?

Sally A

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 19:14 »
Sweetcorn do not like root disturbance, so if there are brambles doing things down below I'd leave that til next year.

Re the brambles, if you mums not up to digging them out I suggest you just dig down and snip off where you can on the runners coming up and  rub in deep root killer.

WG.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 19:15 »
Quote from: "blackhobbescat"
Courgettes would be good!  Do things like sweetcorn or runner beans work in that scenario?
IMHO, no, not unless you or your Mum want to put in the work

gobs

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 19:16 »
If you mean covering the strimmed bramble with whatever, that won't work.

I think, easiest time saver might be something like this:

1) Make a quasi frame for bramble, to keep it off the ground and so from rooting all over, your mum then should be able to tie long shoots in and make oodles of jam

2) Borrow or hire a rotovator go through the rest and then cover and plant through that all possible things

3) Weed well an area for carrots, parsnips, onions, leeks.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 19:18 »
Are you organic BHC?  Your profile/sig doesn't say

gobs

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 19:20 »
Sweetcorn or beans are not commonly planted this way, but if you are in need, can't see why not plant them up in a slot in the black sheet.

Sally A

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 19:21 »
Now to me, if I was in charge of an allotment site, and I'm not...is where common sense comes in, you give the next person on the waiting list a chance to help out plot holders that need it.

a) it shows their commitment
b) they share the produce
c) they get to know the others
d) they'll know if it really is for them, thus possibly saving wasting a plot for a minimum of 2 years whilst someone tries it out, abandons it, gets the letters etc etc.
e) they generally get a feel for the whole thing.

<<exit left singing "If I ruled the world">>

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 19:25 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Now to me, if I was in charge of an allotment site, and I'm not...is where common sense comes in, you give the next person on the waiting list a chance to help out plot holders that need it.

a) it shows their commitment
b) they share the produce
c) they get to know the others
d) they'll know if it really is for them, thus possibly saving wasting a plot for a minimum of 2 years whilst someone tries it out, abandons it, gets the letters etc etc.
e) they generally get a feel for the whole thing.

<<exit left singing "If I ruled the world">>

Some people are funny, she could get into a lot of trouble through that, potentially, especially if they really wanted one.

But that just reminds me, very important, you let the person in charge know about your problem and make it clear that you want to keep it and get back to it, once recovered. Depending on your site and the people you also might get help from them. We do that here, just tidied a chaps garden, who is ill.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 19:51 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Sweetcorn or beans are not commonly planted this way, but if you are in need, can't see why not plant them up in a slot in the black sheet.

Runner beans especially like a lot of water. They are not going to get it planted through a hole in a sheet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 20:06 »
Thank you for all your replies.  I've got some ideas now.  If anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know!

I'm trying to be organic, but I may need all the chemical help I can get this year!

gobs

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 20:08 »
Quote from: "DD."

Runner beans especially like a lot of water. They are not going to get it planted through a hole in a sheet.

Nobody ever waters any runner beans here, would go out of business.

And they are fine. 8)

But I can't see why couldn't you water them down the whole , if you so inclined, as with corguettes and cucumbers, much easier in fact as they are grown upward normally, so easy to find the hole with the cane in.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 20:34 »

Nobody ever waters any runner beans here, would go out of business.

And they are fine. 8)

But I can't see why couldn't you water them down the whole , if you so inclined, as with corguettes and cucumbers, much easier in fact as they are grown upward normally, so easy to find the hole with the cane in.

But they get the rain - which they are not going to get with a sheet stuck over the soil!

WG.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 20:38 »
But they get the rain - which they are not going to get with a sheet stuck over the soil!
Depends.  They won't get light rain but they'll sure as heck get a lot if it rains heavily!  8)

xx
Low maintenance

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 15:27
by kari
xx
Low maintenance allotment?

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2020, 20:09
by Flowertot
xx
Strawberry maintenance

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2023, 12:13
by Twood
xx
Ideas for low maintenance (low water/weed smothering) crops

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 19:39
by Christine

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.