HHints No 23 Now is the time to rid your lottie of cats.

• 41 Replies

Rob the rake

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 00:02 »
The thing cats hate most is having their dignity ruffled, so buy a super-soaker and let 'em have it.
The only thing you'll hurt is their pride, and they soon learn to beat it to pastures new.
Of course, it takes a sadist to enjoy this process and I personally derive no pleasure from it.

. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Rob.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

frazzy

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 00:21 »
i wish it worked on rabbits Rob  :cry:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 10:13 »
Quote from: "frazzy"

lead werks on bunnies :wink:
still alive /............

mkhenry

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 17:36 »

Urine sprayed on the plot will help to keep rabbits away :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

noshed

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 21:47 »
cats chase them off...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Cat or rabbit
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 22:42 »
I am starting to see small excavations on my plot that look like a rabbit but not v deep and cannot see any rabbit 'tods', if you know what i mean.  Just wondering if it is a rabbit or a cat (have seen a cat around the plot now and again).  Usually it seems to go for freshly dug areas.  

Any ideas?  reason for an answer is to plan best method of keeping it out or if a cat then maybe just ignore it as damage should be limited.  Ok now as not much in the ground but could be a bigger problem come the Spring.

CD
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

mkhenry

Re: Cat or rabbit
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 22:46 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
I am starting to see small excavations on my plot that look like a rabbit but not v deep and cannot see any rabbit 'tods', if you know what i mean.  Just wondering if it is a rabbit or a cat (have seen a cat around the plot now and again).  Usually it seems to go for freshly dug areas.  

Any ideas?  reason for an answer is to plan best method of keeping it out or if a cat then maybe just ignore it as damage should be limited.  Ok now as not much in the ground but could be a bigger problem come the Spring.

CD

Could be a cat take steps to deter it now.  Check out my hints and tips about cats on the link below. :wink:

Selkie

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 22:49 »
I'd say a cat too - our littlest one does that sort of digging in the flower-bed by the side of our house (sending little bits of earth all over the path :x )

mkhenry

Re: Cat or rabbit
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 22:49 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

CD

Just thought it might be a bird.

I had that prob a few years ago.  It was a big black bird looking for worms in the softer soil. :lol:

Could be a cat take steps to deter it now.  Check out my hints and tips about cats on the link below. :wink:

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
cats
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 15:07 »
Thanks for the responses.  

MK, holes too big for a bird i reckon.  Great tips from your link by the way i will use some of these.  I assume the cure for cats is the same as Badgers? as i could not find anything specific for cats in there.

Cawdor

mkhenry

Re: cats
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 18:48 »
Thanks for the responses.  

MK, holes too big for a bird i reckon.  Great tips from your link by the way i will use some of these.  I assume the cure for cats is the same as Badgers? as i could not find anything specific for cats in there.

Cawdor

Sorry cawdor John is putting some of my other Hints about cats on in the next few days.

The best one by far is to bury a pot (Mug size) in the ground. Part fill it with Jeyes Fluid,and cover with a Freesbie size and shape lid in which you have punched some holes around the edge.  The idea being so that the smell can get out but rain can not dilute the contents.

The hole must be mushroom shaped so that the mug is the stalk and the lid is the cap.  Then cover the lid with 1" approx of soil.  Thats it the best deterrent ever.  Place two or three in the problem areas,and after a few days even the most determined cats will go elsewhere.

This fluid is poisonious to cats so do not let them come in contact with it. :lol:  :wink:

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
cats
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 23:24 »
Great thanks, i'll have a go at that.  It won't be diggin much for a while the ground is quite hard due to persistent frosts, down to minus one now in my potting shed (i have a sensor in there) and falling, white roof tops all round.

Cawdor

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
cat?
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 16:59 »
Has anybody had experience with cats burying food?  i did not think they did but something digging on my allotment, which i thought was a cat is burying food.  Found a sausage roll today and a piece of chicken last week, both buried in the soil and covered over.  Does this rule a cat out or do they do this?  Taking MK's advice on anti cat measures but just checking it is still a cat i am dealing with.

CD

Rob the rake

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Urine sprayed on the plot will help to keep rabbits away :wink:

Not by the direct method, I hope! :D

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Re: cat?
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 20:51 »
Has anybody had experience with cats burying food?  i did not think they did but something digging on my allotment, which i thought was a cat is burying food.  Found a sausage roll today and a piece of chicken last week, both buried in the soil and covered over.  Does this rule a cat out or do they do this?  Taking MK's advice on anti cat measures but just checking it is still a cat i am dealing with.

CD
Fox?
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Can I use this on my Lottie?

Started by mifty12 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:49
by Trillium
xx
new lottie

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 21:56
by WG.
xx
might have a lottie!!!

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 20:24
by noshed

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 35 queries.