Never done this before.

• 13 Replies

Livinhope

Never done this before.
« on: July 16, 2010, 15:11 »
Can anyone tell me how to prepare the ground to plant a fruit tree please?  Do I put anything in the bottom of the hole etc?

Polytunnel-er

Re: Never done this before.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 16:06 »
i used bonemeal in mine :)

you can get blood fish and bones too :)

there might be more but i use that and some fresh compost mixed into the soil i took out the hole!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 16:11 »
Depends on how good your soil is. If poor, then lots of aged manure also mixed in will help. I highly recommend the use of mycorhhizal to the roots. Dust it right onto the roots (if possible, or the root ball after removal from pot). This encourages lots of feeder roots to get the plant well on its way. Also, before you add the roots, water the hole very well first so the roots have something to chase to maintain health.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 16:15 »
The advice that I got years ago was to spend as much on preparing the hole with compost/fertiliser as you did on the tree. 

If you got it from the pound shop then I guess that you would need to spend a bit more! :D

savbo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 16:18 »
I think Kew's latest advice is to use a shallow hole and not use too much compost so hole doesn't slump when cocmpost decomposes away... research showed many trees drown in sumps or their roots going round and round in well-fed hole without being encouraged to spread wide and stabilise the tree

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 16:34 »
I haven't got the tree yet, and it's from a good fruit nursery.  I know it's a bit premature but I can't collect it until November but I thought perhaps some preparation beforehand wouldn't come amiss.  Our soil is chalky but it does respond well to compost and fertilizer.  I can appreciate the information from Kew and I suppose that can be sorted by topping up the ground level so that it remains flat.

What is mycorhhizal?  Does it come under a brand name?

I use a fair bit of bfb on various things and every spring my ornamental trees and apple tree get a treatment of sulphate of potash. 

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 16:45 »
I read that too, Savbo, but I don't believe it. Wherever the tree branches spread out to, then add another half measure of length for the actual root for that side. EG if a branch stands out 6 ft from the trunk, then the main root on that side is 9 ft long, which casts serious doubts to the Kew theory. I could see roots with no food at all and sitting in heavy clay going round and round, but because the loosened area is only that big.
And if there's soil slump, it's because the person planting neglected to firm in the soil as they filled several levels, which causes the future slump.
I believe a lot has to do with the technique used and knowledge of the person doing the planting.

Mycorrhizal bacteria, an innoculant, is sold over here under the trade name of Mykes, but good garden centres will know what the local brand is. It's a natural bacteria fungus, which looks like a brown powder, that you dust directly onto roots to encourage feeder roots. The basic idea is much like the nitrogen fixing nodules you get with legume plants, which also comes as innoculant in package form for areas never planted before with beans. More and more public gardens are regularly using mycorrhiza because it gives the plants a great natural boost without the stress that fertilizers give plants, and plants are more successful and resistant to pests and diseases. It doesn't guarantee resistance, but definitely helps.

Here's more info:
http://www.bunchgrapes.com/mycorrhiza.html

GreenOwl

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 16:53 »
Mycorrhizal is sold as "Rootgrow" as well.

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 18:55 »
Very many thanks to everyone, I shall have plenty of time to make a nice home for my tree.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:20 »
good points Trillium...the Kew stuff I think was from research into which trees failed during the Great Storm, as those were mostly in the SE I guess many were on clay. What I have taken on board from it (and planting trees is part of my job!) is not to mollycoddle trees too much, make them work at finding food and resisting wind and you'll probably have a more resilient plant at the end...

M

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 14:06 »
I agree with what you say, Savbo, but when you've paid out big money for a fruit tree, you want to make sure it lives and not do a cucumber on you  :lol: :lol:

Livinhope

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 21:40 »
I'll follow the advice I've been given by you all and not the Kew stuff.

fatcat1955

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 00:25 »
An old saying that comes to mind, Spend a pound on the plant and a fiver on the hole.

Livinhope

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 10:57 »
Heavens the tree was over £15.

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 37 queries.