Chicken acting weird/looks sick then goes normal again ?

• 6 Replies

SamT

Chicken acting weird/looks sick then goes normal again ?
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:12 »
My chickens are nearly 3yo. One of them is extremely friendly and loves having cuddles but one morning I went to let them out and she was sat hunched up (not fully puffed like when they are sick) and didnt move when I opened the pen door and the others came out. I went to check 10 mins later and she had come half way down the path but then just stood there all hunched up again. I was worried she was sick so picked her up and put her on my lap where normally she buries her head in my hair makes snuffling noises gets comfy and has a nap but this time she just stood there and did nothing. After a few mins I put her down and she didn't move again so I picked her up again thinking she was dying and gave her more cuddles and stroking her feathers. After 15 mins or so she slowly starting coming round and then the snuffling started and her presto she was back to her normal self. This was about 3wks ago but last night my partner said she was acting the same again and when she went into the shed instead of jumping onto the perch she just stood in the corner. This morning she's come out right as rain again so just wondered if anyone had ideas as to what this might be?  Her egg laying has been totally random for the last 6 months she lays a lot from the perch at night (she's a hybrid so think she's running out) so because her timing and location for laying is out I did wonder if this was perhaps a minor laying trance she was in but standing?

kegs

Re: Chicken acting weird/looks sick then goes normal again ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 13:01 »
No ideas I'm afraid, apart from the fact that 3 years is quite old for a hybrid so maybe she's just having a 'senior' moment.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 13:20 »
She might have been egg bound. Once she'd successfully laid the egg she'd feel much better.  Now she's getting an old girl in hen terms you might well find that her egg laying becomes erratic, but she will appreciate your love and care to see her through her old age  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 16:54 »
They can act the way you have described when they have a soft shelled egg they are trying to lay.  If she lays from the perch and it breaks the other hens will quickly eat it leaving no trace.  One of mine doesn't like to perch when she has a softie in her system.  A warm bath can some times help them to lay the egg.  Make sure you dry her thoroughly and gently so she doesn't catch a chill.  Warm setting on a hairdryer is good for this.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SamT

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 15:15 »
Thanks for your information. She has been laying a lot of soft shelled eggs since her first moult last year, prior to the moult she was a brilliant egg layer even in her 2nd year but since the moult there has been a dramatic drop and there is a lot of soft shells she's laid she's seems to have lost her ability to lay hard shells very often. When I went to check in the shed yesterday I did find a egg under the perch which looked like it had a very very thin soft shell but had broken upon impact luckily the others hadn't eaten it so it confirms what her issue is.

Is there anything I can do to stop this soft shell business or is it an age thing cos the other 2 hybrids of same age are still popping eggs out no problem. I hate to think of her in pain.

Many thanks.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 15:41 »
Assuming they have daily access to oyster shell either separately or in with their grit, you could mix some poultry spice into their food to start off with and see if this helps.  If there's no change, try a pinch of limestone flour again mixed into the pellets of the hen laying softies with cod liver oil.  The oil will help the flour coat the pellets and aids absorption of calcium.   Cut back on treats for a while to make sure they're getting the right amount of pellets in their diet too.  Good luck and I hope she improves.   :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 16:01 »
I cut a grape in half and dip it in lime stone flour for the one that lays softies.  It is worse when they are moulting.

xx
chicken acting different

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 18:15
by dizzylizzie
question
Chicken acting odd?? Any ideas.?

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 12:07
by carolbriar
xx
Chicken acting strangely

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 16:32
by grinling
xx
Weird chicken

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 20:18
by asd1

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 30 queries.