Why are spring onions so hard to grow ?

• 33 Replies

hubballi

Why are spring onions so hard to grow ?
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:13 »
I have germinated spring onions about end of Feb. They have been the same size all along with not much thickening or height increase. Some go thin and whispy at the base or the ends and wither. I keep them moist but not waterlogged and cool.

Springlands

Re: Why are spring onions so hard to grow ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35 »
It was probably still too cold in February for them to grow - that is why they did not increase in size. I would try again now that the weather is a little warmer. I planted some about 10 days ago and they still have not put in an appearance - they can be a bit slow to germinate even at this time of year. There are some faster growing spring onions - think they are called Red Appache from Suttons.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:38 »
thin them, or they wonr grow
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46 »
They're easy.

Sow a pinch (about 6 or so) per moudule. I use the 6 to half a seed tray size.

Germinate in the warmth, harden off, plant out the module. They'll grow as a nice clump with no thinning required.

I'm suprised that with the current weather you've have to water at all, never mind keep moist!

This is for the first sowing of the year, later ones are direct sown and I've never thinned them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38 »
They're easy.

Sow a pinch (about 6 or so) per moudule. I use the 6 to half a seed tray size.

Germinate in the warmth, harden off, plant out the module. They'll grow as a nice clump with no thinning required.

I'm suprised that with the current weather you've have to water at all, never mind keep moist!

This is for the first sowing of the year, later ones are direct sown and I've never thinned them.

I remember having great success with spring onions last time I grew them (about 10 years ago), so this year with my renewed vigour of gardening spring onions were high on my list.  I planted a 3-4ft row of them but only got 3 germinated!  I've planted some more in a planter outside but they are yet to show an appearance as well (about 2-3 weeks ago now).  I would blame the seeds but I shared the packed with my mother and she said hers were germinated ok (under a cloche I believe).

I will try your method DD :)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52 »
They are not hard to grow at all!  You seem to make heavy weather of growing everything H!   :nowink:

Sowing direct into your garden soil or plot might be the best idea. When the weather picks up a bit that is and the soil is not waterlogged and cold, as I suspect is your seed tray containing your onions :D

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59 »
THey stay thin for ages and you begin to wonder if they will ever be big enough to eat. Then, before you know it, they are getting too big and so strong they would test out grandad.

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 16:06 »
i sow mine in pots outdoors and in the garage for protection and never get good germination or growth, i cant seem to grow them either :wacko:
only1 has germinated so far this year and they were sew at least 4 weeks ago.
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 16:45 »
I sow mine in pots of compost and sprinkle them in liberally and they seem to do ok. I can't say what percentage actually germinate though. I never thin them out either. I think they can take a while to show themselves though.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 21:21 »
They're easy.

They are not hard to grow at all!  

I've had 4 years of failures with them too, despite following DD's advise to the letter last year  :( I have a brand new packet of White Lisbon to try this year.

Funny enough I have more problems getting spring onions to germinate than parsnips  :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 21:30 by Lardman »

Spana

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 21:34 »
I struggle with them too. :(

Thought i had it sussed last year, noooo. Did one sowing in a pot in the green house with the intention of sowing more pots to get a supply all summer. The one and only pot took so long to get going that i never got round to doing any more. They were thin pathetic things. :(

I am going to try again this year, only because i have a free packet of seed from somewhere but  i have to face it, i'm not good at spring onions :( 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 21:43 »
Last year I sowed a couple of rows direct in a bed and had a jungle of them, couldn't eat them fast enough. And at one point the seed packet slipped in my hand, and a few days later I had a random thicket of them all over the place. Yet this year I tried a Feb sowing of half a row in my polytunnel and they're completely pathetic. From a 2 foot row there's about 6 tiny weeny little stems grimly clinging onto life and showing no sign of getting any bigger. Don't know if that's because it's an early sowing or because it doesn't like the tunnel/beds in the tunnel, but if the former they certainly should have found enough warmth to start growing by now. My leek seedlings sown in a big pot in the tunnel in March are looking fine though.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 22:00 »
love spring onions - so easy to grow and keep for so long

I grow a short row every month or so and have realt good results with them.

Still eating the ones overwintered from last summer!

RsT

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 22:34 »
I find them easy in pots.
Layer of well rotted manure, layer of cheap compost, sprinkle seeds generously, dump in corner of greenhouse, forget for a couple of weeks, spring onions on the go!
For later sowings do the same but outside as greenhouse too warm (well hopefully might be some time soon :D)
Not so successful outside so for the last couple of years have stuck to the pot method.
When i started veggie gardening a few years back my mum said you have got to try Spring Onions, they are so easy........

hubballi

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 08:40 »
Mine are now going wispy and white at the tips and shriveling. My leeks have hardly germinated. New spring onions sowings haven't even come up. All from new seeds and different packs. Garlic chives also haven't come up after 2 unsuccessful  sowings. Last year I even bought a small tray from a shop and they all died and went pathetic in the end.  :(
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 20:43 by sunshineband »

xx
why can't I grow spring onions?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:18
by Yorkie
xx
"Spring Onions Are One Of The Easiest Things To Grow" :(

Started by garrarufa on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2022, 19:48
by Alank
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
Why are radish so hard to grow ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

94 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 17:19
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 35 queries.