Courgette recipes, please post here...

• 28 Replies

muntjac

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 20:27 »
chop em in small 1/2 inch chunks  with same in runner beans . fry the beans n courgettes n then add onions add pre pressure cooked for 14 mins rabbit meat in lots and fry that add your shop bought  curry sauce or make your own  add rice , you can freeze the curry if ya wanna .just like wot i cooked for me dinner tonite  :)
still alive /............

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 13:52 »
For a lovely ratatouille-type pasta sauce, use the following:

3 medium courgettes
1 medium aubergine
6 small tomatoes
1 large onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Chop the onions and sweat down in olive oil (garlic flavoured olive oil works really well).

Chop the aubergine into small dices (1.5cm sq) and roughly chop the toms and add to the pan with the garlic, season well (esp with salt - I know, but these are aubergines and tomatoes!). Cover, and let them sweat on a low heat for 10 mins.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a squeeze of tomato puree, plus the courgettes, cut into slightly larger chunks (I tend to quarter lengthways and then into inch-long batons).

Mix everything, add some herbs of your choice - basil and thyme work best for my tastes. You can use dried for this recipe, as it is a slow cook.

If you like things a but spicy, you can add a finely chopped chilli or two - depending upon your tastes.

Re-cover and slow-simmer for about 30 mins, until the veg have softened. If the mixture looks like drying out, add a little water.

Take a potato masher and give the mixture a light mashing - you don't want to puree this, but mashing it up a little released more flavour.

Taste and season to your preference.

The above quantities filled about six freezer containers - two remained out, the other four were allowed to cool and got put in the freezer.

This works well as a simple 'mix with pasta' sauce, or brilliantly as a base for adding tinned fish (say tuna or sardines).
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 20:59 »
Courgette Muffins (got the recipe from another site, but delicious)

2 medium courgettes (about 6" each) grated
8oz self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp mustard (optional)
2oz butter
3oz cheese grated
2 med eggs
6fl oz milk
6 rashers bacon finely chopped and cooked (optional)

Seive dry ingrediants, rub in butter, add courgettes, cheese (and bacon if using).
Beat eggs and milk together then stir into dry mix.
Spoon into 12 deep muffin tins (I use the silicone ones as they don't stick), or upto 48 mini ones.
Sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
Bake for about 25 mins at 200'C (400F, gas 6)

Enjoy.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 21:08 »
Courgette and cumin soup (serves 4 ish)

12oz courgettes, sliced
2 med onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5oz potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 oz butter
cumin (1/4 -1tsp depends how you like it)
3/4 pint stock (flavour up to you)
1/2 pint milk

Soften onions and garlic in the butter, adding the cumin.
Add potatoes and courgettes, and lightly fry.
Stir in stock and simmer until cooked
Blitz in food processor until smooth
Stir in milk, reheat until just coming back to the boil and serve with thick fresh crusty bread.

Use more or less potatoes as needed to thicken to creamy consistency.

It can be frozen if you wish, just leave out the milk. Add in once defrosted.

muntjac

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 22:45 »
slice em thin 1/4 inch / dry well dip in egg then in breadcrumbs or maize flour n deep fry .sprinkle paprika and add some salad cream  :wink:

eilidh

Re: Courgette recipes, please post here...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 00:21 »
Thanks for the many lovely recipes - am keen to try some of them; just hoping my courgettes will actually produce this year. They're usually very good, even in Scotland!
This recipe is straight from Google, and I had just hunted it out when I came to this site and found all these others. I used to buy the oil preserved courgettes in Lidls, and thought that it would be a great way of preserving my excess courgettes - my friends are usually not interested after the second or third gift of a few extras...

Courgettes Preserved in Olive Oil

* One kg courgettes
    * One liter white wine vinegar
    * Garlic
    * Rosemary
    * Salt
    * Black pepper
    * Extra-virgin olive oil.

Cut the courgettes into sticks about five centimeters long. Bring the water and vinegar to the boil and plunge in the chopped courgettes. Cook for fifteen minutes, drain and leave in the colander for twelve hours.
(I'd probably place them on a clean tea towel and reduce the drying time a bit)
 Put into a glass preserving bottle, interspersed with cloves of garlic, fresh rosemary leaves and a little salt. Cover with olive oil and close the bottle firmly.

I'd also keep the vinegar and use it with a top-up for another batch. It didn't specify how much water. Does anyone have a suggestion?
It is a dark and cold world indeed
If we do not open the inner eye of the spirit
To the inner flame of nature

KarooPaul

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 18:15 »
We tried them young and raw sliced very thinly with a honey and lemon dressing. For 4-5 young courgettes use two squeezed lemons (yup 2, ideally with the grated zest of one of them - unwaxed), a teaspoon or so of light honey, salt, pepper and fresh herbage (parsley or basil, maybe oragano). An important element is toasted pinenuts or walnuts and you could also add blue cheese. Utterly delicious. I think the recipe comes from a site called Joanna's Kitchen but I've seen it before in other places. Highly recommended dish!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 14:35 »
i like to add them to salads: just slice them with a potato peeler into thin strips and toss them in with your lettuce etc.

LilyAnne

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 18:46 »
Ratatouille is good. Can us up quite a lot if you do it in bulk and freeze it.  I do mine with red peppers, onion, garlic, aubergine and fresh toms, tomato puree.

Stuffed are quite good.  I've no specific quantities for this but it consists of courgettes, tomatoes, onion, prawns or shrimps.

It's best with medium sized courgettes, cut in half and one per person.  They need to be partially cooked. I do them in the microwave until they just begin to soften.  Cool, cut in half and scrape out the seed so you have a boat. Turn unsite down over kitchen paper to drain water.

Filling :  Finely chop onion and garlic and fry in a little oil or butter for acouple of minutes.  Add another raw courgette also finely chopped.  Fry until it begins to soften and then add skinned, deseeded tomatoes. Season to taste.  You can also add chilli powder or fresh chillies (at the onion stage).  Cook until almost dry.  If using raw prawns add just toward the end, otherwise stir in cook prawns just as you fill the courgettes. Along with some parsley or corriander.

Spoon filling into courgettes and place in a shallow oven proof dish.  Sprinkle on grated cheese and bake in moderate oven until cheese has melted and courgettes have heated through.

If you want it to be more substantial you could use a cheese sauce and pour that over the top and bake until bubbling and golden brown.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 18:07 »
Courgette Frittata

Serves two - or me!

Ideally you should use a metal handled frying pan for this, so you can take it from hob to grill

1. Thinly slice a medium size courgette
2. Heat a tbsp of mild olive oil (don't waste your extra virgin on this) in the pan
3. Add the sliced courgettes and soften for a few minutes over a medium heat
4. Meanwhile whisk four eggs and season the egg mix with some black pepper
5. Chop a large handful each of fresh basil and fresh mint and stir this into the egg mix
6. Returning to the pan, when the courgette slices are softened, pour off any excess oil
7. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, on top of the courgettes
8. Turn your grill on to medium heat
9. Continue to heat the mix on the hob for about five minutes, then transfer to under the grill
10. Leave for about five minutes to cook through on top - or until the top is starting to turn golden
11. Serve hot with a mixed salad or some new potatoes, or cold with crusty bread and chutney

Depending on your taste, you can add other vegetables - I like to par-boil and skin a few broad beans and throw them in with the cougettes just before I pour the egg mixture over. But you could add sliced runner beans, fresh garden peas, sweetcorn, and, subject to your taste you could add a little 'zazz' with freshly chopped chilli or garlic - it's your frittata, run with it!

Another nice touch is to crumble some feta cheese on the top of the mix just before it goes under the grill.

Don't forget to use an oven glove when removing your metal-handled pan from under the grill - otherwise you'll be on the floor fighting the dog for it!

Enjoy.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 21:34 »
I had a similar posting recently - Topic: "6 million courgettes from my plot" lots of ideas - amazing what you can do with a courgette...and why are they sooooo expensive in the supermarket?
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 16:42 »
Courgette & potato rostis.

Grate both the courgettes & potatoes & mix together well with salt & pepper.
Squeeze the excess water out with your hands.
Form into flat rostis (cakes).
Fry until crispy on both sides & soft in the middle.

Yum, Yum.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 22:48 »
Found one in a recent Sainsbury's magazine (credit where it's due) that I didn't think would work, but it does.

If you're doing skewers (for grill or barbeque), use a potato peeler to scrape off long lengths of courgette, then roll the lengths into a tube and thread on to the skewers. The outsides get nicely charred, but the insides stay moist.

The skewers I made comprised: prawns (marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and dried chilli flakes), cubes of chorizo, eighths of red onion and the aforementioned courgette 'rolls'.

They only took about two to three minutes on each side and were deelish!

xx
Courgette glut recipes

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 14:18
by Deano27
xx
Christmas recipes, post yours

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 18:14
by wighty
xx
Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

Started by mellowmick on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

56 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 00:44
by mashauk
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 32 queries.