Which breeds are interesting genetically?

• 8 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Which breeds are interesting genetically?
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:47 »
I have finally decided that I will raise and eat and suitable makes and any unrequired females.

So apart from the early days  when I am 'playing' with my Incy's I need to start thinking about the breed/breeds that will fit the bill best.

Egg frequency and size is important, as is suitability for the table, including males.

Then my passion will be a breed that has variety in colour and maybe pattern with something new to offer.

I am attracted more to the larger birds and this may make it easier to use/sell surplus eggs but there seems to be a lot of interesting stuff going on in the bantam Wyandottes eg the chocolate, red and cream genes.

So as usual, I am undecided.

All ideas and comments will be gratefully rec'd.

In my incy at the moment are Wyandottes, a couple of Lavender Araucana and some Cream Legbars which don't especially interest me other than for maybe produce hybrids for layers.

I have bought some Blue Copper Marans for the next batch, just 6, and was pondering some buff Pekin but have also seen some show quality salmon Pekin I could have.

Maybe I am keeping too many options open at the moment but I do enjoy shopping :)

Casey76

Re: Which breeds are interesting genetically?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:07 »
Me again!

Unfortuantely the larger breed which have a lot going on colour genetically speaking, tend to be poorer performes when it comes to meat and eggs - cochins and orps. 

Cochins have some really interesting things going on at the moment, but they are bred for floof, and egg production in exhibition strains is really quite poor compared to non-exhibition strains.

What about brahmas?  There are only, er, 4 I think, standardised colours (light, dark, gold and, I think... lemon pyle), but there are a few more colours floating around - however again egg production is not that great, they hens can go broody at the drop of a hat, and males take a long time to reach table readiness.

But there are faverolles... very nice dual purpose birds, 7 colours standardised, but only the salmon really readily available.  They are available in both large and bantam versions too.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:15 »
Faverolles might work.  Not many hatching eggs on eBay but an odd black and buff as well as the salmons.

They look interesting too.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:32 »
I have 3 salmons incubating at the moment, and I'm really hoping that I get at least one pullet.  The chick sare gorgeous, and the adults are so cute too with the muffing and bearding (and this should be distinct - not all one big beard)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 13:58 »
I got 3 Favs hatch out of the ones I was given, there is one pullet 2 cockerels.  They are beautiful though!  But I've never kept them before, so can't comment on what they are like. If you ever get down this way gsc, you are more than welcome to the 2 boys!!  :D

And although not a beautiful bird, the naked necks are layers of good big brown eggs and are supposed to be good for meat.  I only have one, but mine is black, unlike Casey who has the red variety!  I want to put my NN in with my Indian Game cockerel to see what their offspring are like for meat as well as eggs!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 17:15 »
as someone who had 2 salmon boy favs can i just say that although they were really good to look at, they were quite mean!

whenever i went to collect eggs in the morning they'd rush into the coop and nest box and peck at me.  i don't really know what happened - they used to be really friendly little guys but once they reached 8/9months old they morphed into the spawn of satan!

had to close off the run every morning before opening the hatch. still have a scar between two fingers on my right hand where i just wasn't quick enough. wasn't even wearing a ring or red nailvarnish....

so i wasn't too upset when they ended up in the pot....
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03 »
Well there is plenty of food for thought there.  Thanks everyone.

I quite like the sound of the Faverolles - not sure how I feel about the temprament - I like friendly but nasty is easier to eat :)

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:07 »
My Rolley is adorable!  I think its the same as anything/anyone, there are nice and nasty in all species.
Salmon_Faverolle_hen_headshot.jpg

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11 »
They look like characters  :D

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
Making the Run more interesting?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 14:01
by NooNoosdad
xx
Interesting weekend

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 13:17
by grinling
xx
How to make a run more interesting?

Started by ness on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 20:25
by ness

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 34 queries.