Crunchy iceberg lettuce.

• 4 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Crunchy iceberg lettuce.
« on: July 06, 2023, 10:16 »
Good morning everyone,  why are iceberg lettuces so hard to grow (crunchy or otherwise). ???

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Crunchy iceberg lettuce.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 23:09 »
I have had the best success with lettuce in general, including Iceberg, by starting them outdoors in the autumn and wintering them over. 

Lettuce looks fragile but is amazingly cold-tolerant.  Mine survived a -14°C freeze last December, looked rough for a while but recovered nicely.

I don't have experience trying to grow Iceberg where you are of course.  I'm curious what high and low temperatures you have experienced recently while trying to grow Iceburg? It might be too warm if I had to make a wild guess.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 17:20 »
Yes it seems to be quite tricky to grow from all of the lettuce types. An alternative you could try might be a batavian lettuce like rouge de grenoble, it's halfway between a cos and iceberg in terms of texture.

I don't grow lettuce for hearts as I always find a slug in them which is most off-putting. Instead just for leaves to pick off. Romaine/cos type lettuce are easiest for that, but you can also do it with hearting lettuces too. It also makes things easier for sowing, instead of having to sow every couple of weeks to get a steady supply of hearts, you only need to four or five times a year for a full year's supply. We'll I would normally except my last lot suffered sluggaddon just after planting them out and they got decimated , so I've had to sow again and will miss a few weeks supply of lettuce rather annoyingly.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 19:39 »
My sister always got the lettuce leaf that had the s lug on it. Or the caterpillar.  We never worked out how she did it.  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 11:01 »
I’ve grown some Webb’s Wonderful the last couple of years and they are very crunchy.  They are not as tightly headed as Iceberg you would buy, which helps with the cleaning of them.  Slugs love them, as do birds, so they need netting and pelleting.

I got mine here, but I’m sure other seed suppliers have them as well.

https://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Webbs-Wonderful-S_LET008.html#SID=47

xx
iceberg lettuce

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 07:23
by ToHellWithWeeds!
xx
Mini iceberg lettuce, a recommendation

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 00:48
by Paul Plots
xx
My onions are really hard and crunchy..

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 16:27
by New shoot
xx
when to pick iceberg.

Started by gembob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 17:27
by Salmo

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 41 queries.