I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?

• 39 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
The good news is that I've found an online catalog with a really good selection, www.reimerseeds.com.

The bad news is that I've found an online catalog with a really good selection: Reimer Seeds has 528 different varieties of tomatoes!   :ohmy:   :wacko:  I might have my choices down to 2 or 3 varieties by March  ???

Seriously, they do provide information on characteristics of each variety they sell to help you make your selection, and you can check lists for specific characteristics, which is really good!  They also ship internationally.  For this year's seed order, I think I will be giving Reimer Seeds a try.

I will likely try selecting a small cherry or salad tomato that matures early and tolerates a little cold to start the season, and maybe pot up to end the season.  I've read good things here about Stupice, but there is also a 42-day Tomato that sound interesting, and is determinate. 

Narrowing the list to find a good beefsteak or slicing tomato will be more of a challenge.

Gardener's Delight is on their list; for a main season cherry tomato, it is hard to go wrong with that one.

Given that I'm looking for (1) a small / early tomato, and (2) a beefsteak/slicing tomato, does anyone have any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:43 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

lettice

Re: I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 09:08 »
They certainly have a vast amount to choose from.

You are going to get many different views.
I've tried many varities of tomato and always pick a new one each year.
Generally my yearly new chosen one does not get a second chance, but this year I've grown a cherry called Bush Cherry Falls and its producing loads of tasty cherry tomatoes on very strong plants. Grew them in 9 inch pots that sit on the ground in full sun outside. Will be growing again next year.

I've tired many beefsteaks, some just ridiculously large, but prefer my many decades of growing Marmande. They grow very well outside here on the South Coast of England and each plant produces about 4 to 5 tomatoes about 8-10oz in size.
Just started picking the first few now, always one in each cluster ripens early and once picked another in the cluster ripens.
I roast mine, stuffed with their chopped insides and a few leaves of basil.

My favourite regular tomatoes are Tigrella and Golden Sunrise. Both start producing early, but do go on for many months.
Both are greenhouse tomatoes for me and very tasty. The golden Sunrise is more an Yellow Orange, but has a wonderful deep flavour.
The Golden Sunburst looks similar.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 10:05 »
Thank you lettice

Marmande is on Reimer's list, it will definitely be on my narrowed-down list!

Cherry falls is not at Reimer's but it __IS__ at kitchengardenseeds.com, where I ordered seeds from last year.  I may order some seeds from them again this year, so Cherry Falls is a contender. 

JacsH

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 11:44 »
I don't think I dare look at that site!!! Nicky's Nursery is bad enough with about 200. Realseed Company much smaller but unusual varieties.

Personally, Stupice didn't do for me a few years ago. Like Lettice I try several varieties each year - some that have done well and some new ones. All are grown in unheated poly tunnel in the soil in south west Scotland. 6 degrees C in there two nights ago!

For small cherry tomatoes that are early and prolific I go for Chadwick Cherry which I've found to be more flavourful and early than a Chocolate Cherry. Ildi, small/tiny yellow plum is delicious and, this year, producing hundreds of fruits. It failed last year but I had spare seed! Sungold a classic orange cherry. Slightly bigger but early and goes on and on, and very tasty - Blooming (change the 'ing' for 'dy' to avoid upsetting a sensitive algorithm!) Butcher early, goes on and on, very tasty (afraid I wouldn't touch Gardener's Delight for lack of taste!)

Beefsteak/large - True Black Brandywine (amazing colour and taste, rather ugly), Tomande, Moskvitch (early and hardy), Amish Paste (massive plum, tall, vigorous and tasty) and Ethel Watkins (vines shortish - 4 foot) are all doing well this year although only the two latter have ripened so far. Dívčí Prs (Czech Breast) proving good too - large yellow orange and quite sweet, good tomato flavour; the nearest I could find at the time to Orange Russian, a massive tasty orange ox-heart type. A bizarre year.

I'm sure that we will all have our own favourite that will simply make your choice harder. Sorry!

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 12:59 »
I see they have a variety called Purple Russian.  It is called Purple Ukraine over here (always known as that).  I got my seeds from Real Seeds originally.
It produces lots of red/purple very large plum shaped tomatoes.  They are excellent as a salad tomato.
For a large tomato they crop very well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 13:46 »
JacsH and AnneB, I will certainly give those varieties a look!

JacsH, regarding the Gardener's Delight, I think the taste may be related to climate, but also personal preference.  Here, with our hot summers, the fruits are juicy, with just the right level of acidity. I do prefer a tomato with a tart flavor.  My family loves them. The taste might be different if grown in a different climate though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 14:35 »
I grew Purple Ukraine (plum shaped) every year while I had the polytunnel, and loved it.. I stopped growing it when the tunnel 'died' it didn't seem to do as well outside.
Black cherry is also lovely, but the skins split easily if left too long on the plant, Black Opal is very similar and it doesn't split  :)
Peacevine Cherry is also nice if you like small tomatoes with a bit of acidity.
Nectar rose is a fantastic mid-sized slicing tomato, if you can find seeds in USA.
For the really bigguns I've had success with Reif Red Heart.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 16:08 »
MoS, I will certainly look into those varieties tonight, thank you.

Before I posted the OP, I checked Reimer seeds for Reif Red Heart, sadly, they don't have it.  Ditto kitchen garden seeds.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 17:15 »
I still haven't made final selections for tomatoes, but found yet another tomato seed supplier www.tomatofest.com that has choices that were not available elsewhere, like Reif Red Heart.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 14:37 by Subversive_plot »

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 07:31 »
Country Taste is a decent beefsteak tomato and can grow large fruit. I have had a couple this year that were over 1/2 lb. in weight. It can be grown in a greenhouse or outside.

Lizzano F1 is a good outdoor cherry tomato which is said to be blight tolerant. Its a bush tomato that gets covered in fruit. Some of mine were / are on the small side but very sweet and tasty. There have been so many fruit on them that a few of the branches snapped!

I planted both types inside the greenhouse and some outside in the garden along with some Shirley F1's. My theory being to prove if the LIzzano F1 was blight tolerant as my outdoor tomatoes always get blight. However this wasn't the case this year and all plants have done well with no blight, i guess down to the warm weather. I did limit the outdoor Country Taste and Shirley F1 plants down to the 3 trusses and they have fruited later than the indoor ones. The Lizzano F1 plants did better outside than in the greenhouse. They grew far to large in the greenhouse with less fruit on than the ones outside.

Debz

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 09:37 »
I grew Honeycombe this year as my new variety.  A yellow cherry sized fruit.  Plenty of fruit, earlier than all the other varieties I grew, sweet and tasty.  I'll be growing it again next year.

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 18:44 »
My favourite for good cropping and excellent flavour is Apero, a small plum tomato.  Problem is that hubby and grandchildren eat them like sweets so I have to be quick if I want to get any.

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 20:35 »
I tried Brandywine Pink this year and it’s really impressed me as a beefsteak. Started ripening early, good sized fruits and great flavour and texture. Will definitely grow again.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 12:49 »
We tried one this year called Sakura which is a cherry one with a really good tomato taste although it had a bit of a thick skin.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 17:35 »
We tried one this year called Sakura which is a cherry one with a really good tomato taste although it had a bit of a thick skin.
Yes, I noticed that as well....

xx
Choosing potato varieties is so difficult

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2019, 15:33
by Aidy
xx
Suggestions on varieties of raspberries

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:50
by beansticks
xx
Choosing potatoes for next year: blight

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 06:29
by arugula
xx
Anybody any suggestions as to what this Tomato is?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 17:24
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 52 queries.