beans beans and more beans

• 27 Replies

rowlandwells

beans beans and more beans
« on: November 20, 2021, 11:48 »
depending on what beans you've been growing this year so what is your preference for a good eating bean maybe its runner beans French beans flat podded beans dwarf beans perhaps an Italian variety do you go for a stringless variety the varieties are plenty

I guess like us you grow your beans more for taste than quantity unlike the commercial growers who grow for supermarkets and other outlets  more I guess for  quantity

so what bean varieties do grow grow and consider is the best for you do you think runner beans are better than French or vice versa we tend to freeze our beans to use in the winter months when pickings of the allotments are  a bit sparse

the variety we hope to grow next year will be Armstrong as runner and Cobra as a climbing French bean we also intend to grow Dwarf French Stanley never grew the Italian or red bean because not sure how to cook it  or what it complements we have grew flat  podded in the past and they cropped well and had a good taste

i know it seems early to talk about growing beans but as you flit through those seed catalogues trying to decide what variety to grow decisions decisions you mite even end up buying the same variety as you did last year  :D so any comments what varieties you grew and how they turned out for you is always of interest  I'm sure to most of our members including me

and on the subject of Beans broad beans come to mind I know some of you have already set your broad beans to overwinter so again what do you think in your opinion is the best broad bean to grow for both overwintering and spring sowings we don't sow broad beans to overwinter so our spring sowings are a green bean variety Masterpiece green longpod and all our beans are started of in the greenhouse or poly tunnel

so any replies to this topic  will be most welcome

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: beans beans and more beans
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 13:42 »
I just lurve runner beans, White Lady is my favourite, but over the last few years, it has been ( :lol:) increasingly difficult to get them to germinate, with loads rotting before they do  :( I went through 3 packets of seed last year, to just get a short row. So this year I'm trying Moonlight, one of the new-style self-pollinating varieties. See how that grows for me...
I also grow Mennonite Purple Stripe, which is a heritage climbing variety and I save the seeds for these and Cosse Violet (a purple podded French bean) every year.

I also grow Gigandes, climbing, for winter dried beans, and/or Spagna Bianco a similar white bean but they are a bit smaller size.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 14:16 »
I love climbing French beans as they don't take up a lot of ground space so don't grow runners or broads. This year my Cobra were also difficult to germinate. Next year I might try Blue Lake for a change. I grow just one and plant it in my greenhouse as I don't have the room outside plus it can get a bit windy here. I also find they don't turn up at the bottom.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 15:30 »
My runner beans were amazing this year they kept coming.
I can only assume I was being rewarded for having dug a trench in the winter and filling it with compost and chicken manure pellets. My climbing french beans failed though that might have just been the pesky rabbits!
Keep digging

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 16:34 »
I’ve spent years trying to find a French bean I like and have now settled on
Kinghorn Wax which seems easy to grow, tasty and I particularly like the way the beans turn yellow as they mature so they stand out when picking them.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 17:32 »
I was the other way round with 'Moonlight' and 'White Lady', Mum, but this year we had a decent crop eventually! They are superb croppers when they eventually get going though!

Next year, it'll be some more 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' beans, which our lovely friend Sunshine Band gave me ages ago!

I don't know what sort of germination I'll get, but we have quite a few still here, and they'll have a decent bed to grow in hopefully!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 20:12 »
Honestly, I cannot see the point of dwarf beans.  Why grow a plant with a reduces 'surface area' when you can grow a 'BIGGIE'  using about the same ground space...

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 20:25 »
Honestly, I cannot see the point of dwarf beans.  Why grow a plant with a reduces 'surface area' when you can grow a 'BIGGIE'  using about the same ground space...

Cheers,  Tony.

I grow them in a 3ft x 3ft coldframe which lets me start them early and I take the top off once the risk of frost is past.  It generally provides enough beans for two of us for a few months.  I'll grow tall beans elsewhere which mostly end up in the freezer.  The other reason dwarf is useful for me is space is tight and they can go on the south side of a taller crop

After trying lots of varieties I'm sticking with purple and yellow wax ones as they are so much easier to find.

Omega

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 22:44 »
I just lurve runner beans, White Lady is my favourite, but over the last few years, it has been ( :lol:) increasingly difficult to get them to germinate, with loads rotting before they do  :( I went through 3 packets of seed last year, to just get a short row.

I find starting runner beans in the ground can be hit and miss so I changed to starting them in pots with compost, usually 4 in an 8” pot. As soon as they are through (next day) I plant them in the ground, add some slug pellets and cover to keep the pigeons etc away.

In pots I nearly always get 100% germination. They don't seem to suffer from being planted in the ground so quickly after germinating, you just need to be careful as there will only be 1 or 2 roots and the compost can easily fall off. I don't wait too long before transplanting as otherwise the roots from the different beans would be intertwined and likely inseparable. If you wanted to wait longer before planting out you could do one bean per pot, but I think (without any scientific evidence) that it’s better for the roots to grow out in the ground rather than round and round in a pot.

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 00:12 »
I just love beans and always grow quite a few.  My preference is for climbing ones as generally a better yield, but 1 or 2 dwarf beans make the grade.  This is my list:
Cobra
Cosse Violette
Kentucky Wonder Wax
Gigantes
Celebration
Red and White
Hutterite Soup
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Lazy Housewife
Snowcap
Black Knight
Sonesta
Veitch's Climbing Bean
Uplands
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 00:33 by AnneB »

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 06:56 »
Here, it's usually seven or eight beans per six-inch pot, in the GH, and when they're about eight inches high, they're ready to go out!

They do need a little teasing as the roots are quite long, but as long as they've germinated and grown quickly, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last year, a local chum had lost all his beans to slugs, so I just chucked a load of our own old seed in a pot, and gave him the plants a month later, and we were both well-pleased!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 09:48 »
I find starting runner beans in the ground can be hit and miss so I changed to starting them in pots with compost, usually 4 in an 8” pot. As soon as they are through (next day) I plant them in the ground, add some slug pellets and cover to keep the pigeons etc away.

In pots I nearly always get 100% germination.
They were sown in pots in the greenhouse. I even tried a different compost- in case I had a duff bag, but most still rotted. No success until I finally tried a different variety .

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 20:21 »
My favorite is Kentucky Wonder, a pole bean (I think you would call it a climbing French bean). It needs a tall trellis or fence to grow on, but produces well.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Bm1

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 16:36 »
Hi all, I am new to this site and have been struggling to find how to start a new post if anyone can help please?
While I’m on here, I bought a packet of sliced runner beans from Marks and Spencer's one time and they were so tasty that I have been trying to grow every variety I can find to replicate that un explainable moreish taste, with no avail. They all seem to taste the same. I'm thinking it must be what they feed their runners on or their soil that makes them taste so moreish, do you know what I mean ? Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 17:17 »

Go to the top of the forum you want to start a topic in and click on the New Topic button.
FBA36ECC-5757-4EF0-9DF5-0E678D68801B.jpeg

xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 52 queries.