No more visa payment at Jeffs place.

• 14 Replies

Lardman

No more visa payment at Jeffs place.
« on: November 17, 2021, 14:57 »
I've just checked and my credit card is visa one so that's going to leave me in a bit of a pickle as I use them regularly and there's no way I'm going to use a debit card online.   :mad:

GraciesGran

Re: No more visa payment at Jeffs place.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 15:42 »
Am in the same position.  Husband delighted as he thinks we will save a fortune

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 15:46 »
Maybe it'll make Visa think twice about their extortionate fees. Besides, it's perfectly safe to use your debit card on a site like Amazon.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 16:11 »
Besides, it's perfectly safe to use your debit card on a site like Amazon.
Safe is a misnomer but certain methods carry a reduced risk and better protection against fraud.  The processing security risk is the same but a credit card places an extra level of protection on the transaction itself. 

It appears to be all about transaction fees - so it will be interesting to see if it happens or if special arrangements are made.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 20:19 »
When Mrs Growster bought my electric bike five years ago (!), the chap was a bit miffed that I'd used Paypal, but as I didn't know him and he didn't know me, I felt safer that way.

Even today, I've been wondering how much money these 'midi-banks' get out of any deal and if anyone here knows the answer, please let's dicuss!

What are we paying these guys?

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 20:43 »
Even today, I've been wondering how much money these 'midi-banks' get out of any deal and if anyone here knows the answer
Last time I checked (and admittedly it's been a while since I did any eCommerce work) paypal skimmed 4% off the top of a transaction plus a fixed transaction fee, I'm sure we have more active members who can provided more accurate details.  I've had to purchase "work things" from sites that have added a paypal surcharge of 20% on top of the goods to cover the fees as a purchaser I still considered paypal good additional insurance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 20:43 by Lardman »

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 06:26 »
Even today, I've been wondering how much money these 'midi-banks' get out of any deal and if anyone here knows the answer
Last time I checked (and admittedly it's been a while since I did any eCommerce work) paypal skimmed 4% off the top of a transaction plus a fixed transaction fee, I'm sure we have more active members who can provided more accurate details.  I've had to purchase "work things" from sites that have added a paypal surcharge of 20% on top of the goods to cover the fees as a purchaser I still considered paypal good additional insurance.

I agree about using Paypal (I wouldn't ever use their credit facility), it somehow seems OK these days! Presumably 'professional' sellers automatically plonk this overhead on the cost of their goods, and cover it that way.

Listening to Steve Allen on LBC earlier, he reckoned that Jeff's losses will run into many millions by January 2022, so there must be some sort of potential shift across to smaller direct sellers pretty soon, especially just after the seasonal buying frenzy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 20:12 »
I read that the Visa fees had gone up x5 - and you can see why that would add up on a site like that.

My only credit card is Visa too, so I'm going to have to decide what to do.  With a credit card for larger purchases (>£100), you have the s.75 protection. There are similar protections with debit cards but not quite as good or reliable in outcome.

What I'm not clear about, is whether the same fees are charged by Visa to all sellers - whether a large online retailer, or a small independent shop in the high street.  If it's the same across all sellers, then I might have to rethink my card provider, as that would be a way of improving small retailers' profits if they're not having to pay large card fees.  But if it's higher for bigger retailers, then perhaps a different solution.  :unsure:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 20:14 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 23:18 »
I read that the Visa fees had gone up x5 - and you can see why that would add up on a site like that.

My only credit card is Visa too, so I'm going to have to decide what to do.  With a credit card for larger purchases (>£100), you have the s.75 protection. There are similar protections with debit cards but not quite as good or reliable in outcome.

What I'm not clear about, is whether the same fees are charged by Visa to all sellers - whether a large online retailer, or a small independent shop in the high street.  If it's the same across all sellers, then I might have to rethink my card provider, as that would be a way of improving small retailers' profits if they're not having to pay large card fees.  But if it's higher for bigger retailers, then perhaps a different solution.  :unsure:

It's been a while since I ran a business that took direct payments from customers, but the fees from credit card companies were equal regardless of business size. We refused to take Amex as they at the time were the worst by far. Might be different these days, but I doubt it.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 11:59 »
Sorry, I have missed what this is about  !!  But I only have a visa debit, and use it on-line all the time.  The bank have sent me a little gadget.  Sometimes I may have to use it when prompted, but it hasn't happened yet.
Yesterday it took a bashing because I bought a special loop system to use my TV without sub-titles.  I will actually be able to watch the screen instead of reading it  :)  The purchase also included an alarm clock it replaces mine which I cannot hear.   It sounds up to 95d, which is for me as 95 is profoundly deaf, and thats me.  It also has a small vibrating pad which goes under the pillow and will shake me awake and strobe lighting.  Bells and whistles  !!!!  An expensive day, but hopefully worth it.   Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 07:19 »
Hello I've just recently bought Victa mower parts from Australia (,could not get them in this country) I asked the banks advise how to pay ,they said put the order up on the website   click on pay postage before delivery(cant guarantee delivery customs return to sender without )the bank sent me a code for my card reader  I put it in they did a bank transfer got parts 14 days later,parcel wad tracked from leaving supplier till delivery,got an email every 4 hours showing where the parcel was
    in the world   jezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 11:38 »
Great service from your bank, jezza.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 20:39 »
Sorry, I have missed what this is about  !!  But I only have a visa debit, and use it on-line all the time. 

Amazon has announced that, from a date in mid-January 2022, it will no longer accept Visa credit cards for purchases.  You must either use a different credit card (e.g. Mastercard, Amex), or a debit card from any company.  If you only have a Visa debit card, Mrs B, then you're not affected!

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 14:58 »
Looks like Jeff has changed his mind - I wonder who blinked first  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 18:24 »
I saw that too, and am going to add my visa credit card back on as the default payment!

clip
hedgehog family (in suboptimal place)

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 15:06
by al78
xx
Storm Bella on the Way Weather Warnings in Place

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 28, 2020, 10:36
by JayG

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 50 queries.