Not giving up!

• 11 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Not giving up!
« on: November 07, 2021, 18:02 »
I'm determined to get my harvest of jalepeno this year, so the plant is indoors, near the radiator and under growlights.
Jalepeno.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Not giving up!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 18:15 »
That’s dedication  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 19:14 »
I haven't got grow lights but my Black Wax pepper is now on the sideboard in front of the dining room window. The fruits WILL  ripen for the seed swap  ::)  :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 19:15 »
That’s dedication  :lol:

Or I'm just a tight person ;)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:59 »
Our Thai Devil got to about 5' tall, just made a few flowers, and is now sulking, as the Cayenne, Apache and another got away reasonably well!

The Cayenne are great when used green, as they're very spicy as well as offering some heat - but not too much!

Apache usually blows your socks off, especially when threaded and hung to dry in a warm conservatory! Half of one is quite enough...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 10:08 »
P1P, do I see some peppers hanging under the leaves?  Looks like you will get them to harvest.

I've read that peppers can be grown as perennials in warm climates.  If you can keep this one as a houseplant over winter, maybe you can get a head start next growing season?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 11:34 »
Just gone out to the GH, and was about to give the Thai Dragon a few well-chosen words, when I noticed that it has loads of tiny 1" long peppers hiding amongst the leaves!

I just hadn't noticed them as they're the same shape and size of the leaf, so maybe we'll get some to dry after all!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:58 »
P1P, do I see some peppers hanging under the leaves?  Looks like you will get them to harvest.

I've read that peppers can be grown as perennials in warm climates.  If you can keep this one as a houseplant over winter, maybe you can get a head start next growing season?

Yep, there are fruits on the plant, that's why I brought it indoors so they would keep growing. I'm planning to keep it in over winter now and see if it'll hang on for a second year. The compost will need feeding up though.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 16:17 »
Does anyone doing the indoor over-wintering, use a paint brush for fertilisation?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 11:15 »
Suspect cayenne are a particularly robust chilli variety, having grown them all year round in a spare bedroom (it is double-glazed, south facing and also heated because it's also my 'office'.)

The last couple of plants I kept for 4-5 years, and they kept cropping all year round, albeit more slowly in winter of course. Despite annual pruning they were getting a bit untidy, so this year I decided to start again from saved seed in fresh compost.

I've never manually pollinated them as they seem to do quite well by themselves, although I do give them an occasional shake when flowering (if I remember!  :unsure:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:20 »
Well, I got my chillies as I hoped and the plant survived living indoors over winter! I cut it back hard and it's back in the greenhouse and just about to flower :) I might try and overwinter it again this year.
IMG_20220602_111913.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 01:13 »
That's looking quite sturdy, P1P!

xx
giving up !!

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 07:43
by DD.
sad
Giving up!!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 22:26
by mumofstig
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie
xx
On not giving up too soon...

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 08:55
by AnneB

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 49 queries.