Tomato seed discussion

• 2 Replies

ambodach

Tomato seed discussion
« on: September 15, 2021, 20:47 »
I thought I had posted a query earlier today on tomato seeds - but can't have hit the button properly. 

I've just read the post on Ferline tomato which ironically I grew for the first time this year, and rather than hack into that post - which in someways has answered my question anyway - I would like to know what I do to collect tomato seeds.  Is there anything special or is it just the case of taking them from a ripe fruit ?

The reason is that I have grown a number of Consuelo plants this year and one in particular has intrigued me as it has produced a really enormous criop of 30gm plum fruit rather than the not particularly exciting crop of 20+ gm round tomatoes off the other plants. 

It would seem from the 'Ferline' post that if I grow enough of the seeds next spring from this one plant, whether it is F1 or not, there is a reasonable chance I will get some that maybe as vigorous as this good one is.

Growster...

Re: Tomato seed discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 05:40 »
Interesting subject, A!

Taking seeds is a doddle, just cut a good one open, remove the seeds and spread them around on some kitchen paper, ket them dry on a window sill, then when perfectly dry, fold up, pop into an envelope and store safely. Next year, you don't even need to take them off the paper if they're stuck, just cut round them with scissors, and sow normally!

I like your idea of trying to use the seeds as you describe. My notes on dealing with Crimson Crush are the same as for an answer here, so the best of luck, as getting a 'sport' is always a bonus, and if you're growing enough, it could be a great way forward!

I didn't mention before that the leaf structure on some of the plants was very different from the others, so worth keeping a note of that as a posiible ID!

Good luck!

ambodach

Re: Tomato seed discussion
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 10:32 »
Many thanks Growster - and thanks for the tip on leaf structure.

As you say - and I had forgottent the term 'sport' - it is always worth a try.  I suspect it could be a random seed that had crept into the packet but what variety I don't know.  If it is indeed a 'sport' then it will be worth pursuing.
Rob

xx
Can we add cold frames to this discussion?

Started by Ian_P on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 13:29
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Ferline tomato seed out of circulation

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2021, 11:34
by Growster...
xx
tomato

Started by m1ckz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 10:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Tomato woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 06:56
by New shoot

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.