On not giving up too soon...

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
On not giving up too soon...
« on: August 11, 2015, 13:58 »
Having been a bit concerned about the poor and twisted growth of just about all my February-planted shallots for a few weeks now, I stripped off one of what should be a developing new bulb to have a look.

Sure enough, embedded in the base of the stem was what became an all too familiar sight last year - the brown pupa of an allium leaf miner.  :nowink:

They more or less ruined my leek crop last year, and up to now I've resisted the cost and trouble of investing in blue plastic piping and enviromesh/debris netting, but I may have to reconsider that before planting my leeks out...

I'm hoping they might grow through the attack and produce some sort of crop, but I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about it at the moment.  :(

Oh me of little faith - harvested the best crop of shallots for years yesterday - the early allium leaf miner attack is said to be less damaging than the later one, plus I was determined to do everything I could to help them grow through the attack (extra weeding and food and water rations!)

My leeks were planted out late enough to miss the first wave of attacks, but would almost certainly be ruined again by the second if I hadn't invested in enviromesh this year.

Any one else had a pleasant surprise after a near growing disaster?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

Re: On not giving up too soon...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 14:07 »
Surprisingly disasters are one of things I've very good at   :lol:

I have a pepino plant with 3 fruit on I've had it in intensive care for weeks. The spider mite infestation is so bad it looks as if it's been in a haunted house for decades.   ::)
spidermite_1.jpg
spidermite_2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 14:17 by Lardman »

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 16:02 »
The stem of one of my Courgette plants split almost fully through when I was planting it out.  I put some tape around it and hoped for the best.  That plant is out cropping all the others.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 16:36 »
Last years sprout crop first year I have grown them, most blown over even though they were staked in a sheltered area so blown sprouts everywhere, as they were out of the way I ignored them .... went to clear up I have proper sprouts so proud.

Same thing happened this year in different area so leaving well alone no OCD clearing up
:D I garden therefore I am

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 16:43 »
Nope, the stuff that has failed has fully embraced that failure.  ::)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 16:56 »
For me it was the attack of the blackfly - broad beans were smothered. I bought marigolds, pinched out the growing tips of the beans and made daily, sometimes twice-daily attempts to remove the blighters by hand using a spray concoction of water and garlic. I was at my wits end as I watched them shrivel. I was hours away from digging them in but then I thought I saw a glimmer. Now...we are eating our way through a freezer full of beautiful beans - funny old game - innit?   :D :D
Carpe Diem

madcat

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 21:15 »
I'm hoping against hope for my squashes .....  that bitterly cold week of northerly winds has convinced them that it is October.  I'm hoping that the current warmer weather will change their minds .... :unsure: :( ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 21:45 »
Thanks all for your messages of hope, wish I could 'like' all of them!

I did dig up my BB cos of black fly, with the intent if putting on late peas as peas are good this year, but still not has time with my commuting sucking away my life!!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 09:02 »
I was very late sowing winter squash seeds and by late July only one was flowering - last weekend the bed was filled with growing vines and flowers and amongst them I spied 4 decent fruits without trying to look for them, so I'm very hopeful now for a harvest.  Fingers crossed that we don't get an early frost  :)

madcat

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12 »

I did dig up my BB cos of black fly, with the intent if putting on late peas as peas are good this year, but still not has time with my commuting sucking away my life!!

Commuting does that  :( .... Its not just the ridiculous amount of  time it takes, but the way it sucks out the will to live. I have the scars .... and sympathise.   Fight back to keep your weekends special - dont let daft stuff like shopping and cleaning stop you getting outside! 

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:25 »

Commuting does that  :( .... Its not just the ridiculous amount of  time it takes, but the way it sucks out the will to live. I have the scars .... and sympathise.   Fight back to keep your weekends special - dont let daft stuff like shopping and cleaning stop you getting outside!

Wasn't commuting the reason why someone wrote a book about One Hour Gardening, or similar?

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19 »
dont let daft stuff like shopping and cleaning stop you getting outside!
Ooh...I so agree. Dust is a natural substance and should be allowed to settle, undisturbed over everything. Shopping? Well - that's what the internet was built for...and all this stolen time is captured, bottled and spent on the lotty...simples!  :blush:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:09 »
Ooh...I so agree. Dust is a natural substance and should be allowed to settle, undisturbed over everything.

:ohmy: you've been in my house!  :wub:

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 15:26 »
Ooh...I so agree. Dust is a natural substance and should be allowed to settle, undisturbed over everything.

:ohmy: you've been in my house!  :wub:

After six weeks the dust doesn't look any worse. The trick is never to disturb it!

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 15:59 »
Please stop this talk of dust you are bringing my cleaning OCD (obsessive cleaning disorder ) on :tongue2: :tongue2:

xx
giving up !!

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 07:43
by DD.
sad
Giving up!!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 22:26
by mumofstig
clip
Not giving up!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 01:13
by Subversive_plot
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.