drooping onion leaves

• 9 Replies

Veggie Virgin

drooping onion leaves
« on: May 22, 2015, 13:10 »
planted the onion sets (yellow and red) end March.  Everything going along swimmingly until the last couple of days when I noticed that all the leaves are starting to droop/curl/ bend and look very sad.  Anyone any idea what's happening?  Should I give up on these onions now, or wait a bit longer to see if they improve their appearance?

ptarmigan

Re: drooping onion leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 13:42 »
It's been surprisingly dry where I am - could they maybe need a water?  If not then sorry, no ideas.   

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 14:02 »
It could be that something is attacking the roots - you may find they are loose in the soil, and if you pull one out and have a look underneath the bulb you may find a white fungus (onion white rot) or possibly white 'maggots' (onion fly.)

Hope it's neither, but you need to investigate further because unfortunately it does sound a bit more serious than just wilting due to lack of water to me.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 16:41 »
It could be that something is attacking the roots - you may find they are loose in the soil, and if you pull one out and have a look underneath the bulb you may find a white fungus (onion white rot) or possibly white 'maggots' (onion fly.)

Hope it's neither, but you need to investigate further because unfortunately it does sound a bit more serious than just wilting due to lack of water to me.

I rather agree. Dig one out carefully with a trowel and have a look.

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 19:16 »
Thanks, everyone.  it's not lack of water.  Will dig one up as suggested and take a look

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 12:02 »
Onion eelworm or, if the foliage is a darker green than normal, it could be due to using fresh manure and/or too much nitrogen in the soil. If so, try feeding with a potash-rich fertilizer like tomato feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 12:39 »
I have onion eelworm in my crop this year  >:(

It's not good news; affected plants should be burnt and don't grow any onions (or beans, carrots or parsnips, as they can be affected) in that soil for at least two years.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 09:53 »
Having been a bit concerned about the poor and twisted growth of just about all my February-planted shallots for a few weeks now, I stripped off one of what should be a developing new bulb to have a look.

Sure enough, embedded in the base of the stem was what became an all too familiar sight last year - the brown pupa of an allium leaf miner.  :nowink:

They more or less ruined my leek crop last year, and up to now I've resisted the cost and trouble of investing in blue plastic piping and enviromesh/debris netting, but I may have to reconsider that before planting my leeks out...

I'm hoping they might grow through the attack and produce some sort of crop, but I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about it at the moment.  :(

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19 »
Hi JayG, could you not use a systemic insecticide on you crop. I am not a fan of chemicals in the garden but a while back we had a visit from the lily beetle and I sprayed with Provado ulitimate bug killer, these where expensive bulbs, regal and hybrids etc so I was concerned when I noticed holes in the main stems, it seems to have worked as no more sightings of these handsome bugs, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:48 »
Thanks Dave - unfortunately the fact sheet for Provado Bug killer doesn't appear to include alliums or their common pests on the list of 'can do's' (doesn't mean it wouldn't work but apart from not really wanting to go down the chemical control route, I suspect the damage is already done.)

clip
My Roma tomato plant leaves are drooping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 09:34
by meriad
clip
Onion leaves curling

Started by Frogs on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2021, 10:07
by Frogs
xx
onion leaves not standing up

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 19:52
by AnneB
xx
Onion Leaves Curling

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 20:40
by WulfrunFrank

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 34 queries.