What's all this hard work for?????

• 24 Replies

allotmentann

Re: What's all this hard work for?????
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 06:38 »
I am with Compostqueen and New shoot and love weeding - I think it is the instant satisfaction! To be honest, I really don't get that many as I have been really, thorough. My big problem is the border (on both sides) and that I do get really fed up with. I have nasty weeds constantly coming through from my plot neighbours, neither of whom ever weed. The weeds are taller than me! I can't get the roots out as they are on their plots.
It will get easier, and at least you know if the weeds are lush the soil must be good! :)

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 07:06 »
A young couple with the young lady due to give birth were working their new plot on our allotmwent, they disappeared for a few weeks when the baby came and so did their plot and they received a notice from the council - they are now thinking that is going to be too much work we have offered to help them get back on top of it but looks like they just didn't realise how much work was involved.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08 »
A young couple with the young lady due to give birth were working their new plot on our allotmwent, they disappeared for a few weeks when the baby came and so did their plot and they received a notice from the council - they are now thinking that is going to be too much work we have offered to help them get back on top of it but looks like they just didn't realise how much work was involved.

I think this is so true, weeds dont grow in my garden so you dont expect it to be such a daily job, but saying that it is worth it even when its hard work.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31 »
There is a lovely old man on our site and his plot has gone mad,he has not been able to do much this year,so a couple of us have cleared some beds for him,usually when he is not there, we go in and clear and he is delighted when he comes up and potters about with the general work.
He is so nice we would hate to see him leave.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:32 by Rosehip »

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40 »
Well, that's their problem. You keep focussed on your bit and ne'er mind them  :D

Remember.  It's all about the veg  :)

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 12:05 »
Mine gets a bit out of hand every now and then so i blitz the worst of it ,then give it a more thorough weeding when i have time.I still get some good crops out of it,my mate on the next plot is recently retired and his plot is superb,weed free and good stuff,but he will admit he has the time now and gets up there twice a day.

Totty

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 15:56 »
Get busy with the hoe, all the time. Regularly hoed ground is easy to keep going over and you can cover a lot of ground in ten mins if your on top of it.
Out allotment site is a total mess and a terrible waste. There are only 15 plots, and only five have been cultivated to any degree this season. The rest are chest high in flowering weeds. I only plant things up there that need little management, potatoes, onions garlic etc and I could not see my plot until I was on it, that's how overgrown it is.
This will be the last year for us, it's too much hassle to be fighting grasses and weeds, simply because other people can't be bothered.

Totty

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 16:13 »
I've let about 25% of my plot stay properly weedy Wendy - I share your pain! Am biting hte bullet and spraying it with weedkiller, just to give myself a bit of a break.

Once the ground's broken and knocked into beds it's much easier to stay on top of. The beds I have got look pretty darn good - as long as you ignore the paddock at the bottom!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 16:37 »
There is a lovely old man on our site and his plot has gone mad,he has not been able to do much this year,so a couple of us have cleared some beds for him,usually when he is not there, we go in and clear and he is delighted when he comes up and potters about with the general work.
He is so nice we would hate to see him leave.

LOL he must think you're the allotment fairies!  That's a nice thing to do for him!

seaside

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 19:49 »
Like most others I have problems with neighbouring roots creeping in, but there's no future in blaming others, and I do have a sharp spade.
As some have said, sometimes weeding is a pleasure. One only has to weed a crop properly twice in it's growing, not much to ask, and a good dig over when harvesting ... that's the answer I have found.

Small potatoes compared with starting up a plot from scratch. The loosened and conditioned soil makes most weeding pretty straight forward and one can zip through it in small regular doses. Two or three hour long sessions a week will see a good sized plot under control. Only the netted brassicas are bit of a nuisance to weed and feed, and strawberries do irritate me. :)

xx
Hard Work Paying Off

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 10:55
by SalB
xx
phew - hard work!

Started by MuddyDoris on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 20:30
by operabunny
xx
Hard frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 02, 2023, 11:11
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Hard soil

Started by annieanne49 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:12
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 28 queries.