• 12 Replies

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Couple of Homebrew Questions
« on: November 01, 2008, 23:50 »
Hi guys

some more questions for you all.....

Can you use bread yeast to make wine?

Do people out there use containers other than demi's for fermentation, such as large milk plastic bottles, or large water bottles?

Cheers all

Digi

Swing Swang

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:07 »
Sure, if you wan't it to taste like ginger beer.

Yeast has a huge effect on the final outcome, don't skimp, and select a strain that is true to type for your brewing conditions and what you are trying to achieve. In fact one of the best things that you can do with kits, for example, is to throw away the freeze dried sachet of yeast and buy a decent liquid culture.

Just my opinionated opinion,

SS

SG6

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27 »
Bread yeast would ferment but that is about all.
Bread yeast is a yeast for making bread, that why it is called bread yeast.

If you want cloudy wine that is weak and smells of bread then give it a try. Also as bread yeast will not survive the alcohol level you would have to recalculate the sugar you need at the start.

Otherwise if making wine get a wine yeast, very cheap at places like Wilkinson, probably less then bread yeast from a supermarket and it will make wine as you probably want and expect.

robertgiles

Brewing Containers
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 14:00 »
Just another little tip - if you have any friends or relations that work where they have cold drinking water machines, the empty containers are brilliant - and no cleaning apart from sterilizing you might have to find a slightly oversize bung or cork though for the airlock
Happily retired in Calvados Country!!

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 23:30 »
Unfortunately the water companies charge if you don't return the empties :-( (about £4.00 to £5.00). If you know of a company that doesn't then please let me know and I'll change my account to them because not only would the empties make great carbouys/large demijons, but by cutting off the bottoms you'd have great cloches too.

SS

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 21:24 »
I always use wine yeast (infact this is probably the only rule I stick to).  In terms of containers you can pick up demijohns from boot sales /freeads etc - but NEVER pay more than £1 each!!!!  Lots of people have 'had a go' at homebrew, bought all the kit  and given up when it didn't taste like pinot grigio - seek one of these types out and offer to offload all that equipment for a couple of quid....

Mell

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 22:14 »
Depends what you are trying to achieve with your yeast. Yeasts are captured `so the yeasts you buy such as champagne yeasts  were originally native to that area. The `same goes for real bread yeasts (also known as sourdough yeasts) In the wild the wine yeasts do best on grapes, the bread yeasts like  flour & water mix. Real bread yeasts come in an amazing variety depending on location and change the bread tastes, rise etc etc  I use small ale (a medieval brew) yeast in bread and it tastes great, but vice versa tends to not work unless you bring on the culture, I also do that with my small ale culture and pop it back in the breew, but small ale is only alcoholic enough for a day on day drink it isn't strong in the way we tend to expect alcohol to be.

I suspect mead was in the past, brewed with a do all type yeast too.

The ref to Ginger beer somebody mentioned I think means a yeasty ginger beer, REAL ginger beer is brewed using a plant a kind of blooby microbe that is far less alcoholic, again moving back to the expections from the past brews to now. So depends what you want, you will brew something with bakers (bread) yeast how strong, just like wine yeasts depends on what baking yeast you use, but it is unlikely to be as strong as the yeasts bred for high alcohol, resistance you can get in home brew shops.

If you buy oz caps you can use pop bottles to brew in, very easy to turn fruit juices into alcoholic drinks. I use them from time to time, but mostly I'm quite happy with demijohns.

Usually lots of these on your local reuse group

Mel

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Couple of Homebrew Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 20:01 »
Hi, the large 5 gallon fermenters are great for larger batches ( there is enough room in them for another gallon ) boots used to sell them.

SkipRat

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 14:40 »
Using bread yeast to ferment wine, = No, it will ferment but wine will taste awfull.
use any vessel as long as its food grade,its big enough, its sterile and you can incorporate an air lock of some sort.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37 »
Using bread yeast to ferment wine, = No, it will ferment but wine will taste awfull.
use any vessel as long as its food grade,its big enough, its sterile and you can incorporate an air lock of some sort.
Sanitise not sterile :) like I know what I am talking about.

I would never use bread yeast. Why? Just smell it is smells of bread, now go smell a wine/beer yeast :)

littlepete

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 18:30 »
no always use a good quality wine yeast i tend to buy the kind in the silver sachet expensive but very good.
i have got a couple of them water bottles they are great but you can only brew 4 gallon in them, if you do happen to get hold of a couple your home brew shop should have the bung but the hole in the top is a little bit bigger than your fermentation lock so you have to improvise to make it air tight.
cor blimey is that the time

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 18:09 »
Bakers yeast is ok to use but you cant beat a good wine yeast . A few years back did ten gallon of gooseberry wine using 10 different wine yeast riesling hock .liebfraumilch ,chardonay in some cases it was hard to tell it was gooseberry . another thing you can do is experiment with different suger this also effects the taste .In our wine making heyday we used to do maybe 70 gallon a year .still have the equipment so maybe time to blow off the dust and try again . I think the worse thing about wine making was when you had friends around and you heard the dreaded words "oh this tastes like fruit juice ". You knew before 2 hrs where up youd be dragging them out by there ankles into the back garden to sober them up  ::) Try experimenting with honey as well different yeasts  sugers and a dollop of honey can make some really good wines maybe better than you buy in the shop . :D

tiny50

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 20:15 »
Brewers wine yeast is cheap enough so dont scimp and risk ruined wine after all its all about patients and enjoying the bevy when its cooked proper.
WIFE SAYS i AM THE BOSS IN MY OWN SHED

xx
Homebrew Here I Go!!!

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 18:13
by Yabba
xx
Homebrew Website

Started by Knight Family on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 19:52
by Knight Family
xx
Homebrew seems too flat

Started by SWhite6124 on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 15:32
by calumscott
xx
Wilkinsons 50% off Homebrew

Started by DaveJNeal on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 15:09
by DaveJNeal

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.