Pak Choi
Coriander
Basil
Spinach
Spring Onions
Carrot (Early Nantes)
Garlic
Radish

All of which apart from the basil seem to be growing.  It's an experiment to see what (if anything) stands a chance of producing food at this time of year.

Is anyone else putting anything in?

TIA

Adri

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is anyone sowing anything now?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 20:36 »
We sowed this
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/MISTICANZA_MIXED_SALAD_PACK/p1834925_8313048.aspx

on the Wednesday before last in the greenhouse @ the school garden (still had a missing panel) and by this Wednesday there was a good cover of seedlings, that will need pricking out soon :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 21:18 »
I'm new to greenhouse growing, but I have sown some "little gem" lettuces in a trough to see what happens.  :unsure:

MalcW

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30 »
I put some Pak Choi into our new (old) greenhouse a week ago. I've never had a greenhouse before, and just wanted to give it a go.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:55 »
I'm new to greenhouse growing, but I have sown some "little gem" lettuces in a trough to see what happens.  :unsure:
I tried to grow over winter Lettuce some years ago ("Winter Gem" from memory) and didn't think they did very well - so little light this time of the year.

I mean to try Lambs Lettuce each year ... it grows so slowly, initially, that on the couple of times I have remembered to try I haven't got it large enough for planting in time.  I think starting it off 1st August would be the latest sowing date.

We have had the most success with Swiss Chard - but as an early greenhouse Spring crop, rather than expecting to get a harvest over winter.  But those too would have had to be sown a lot earlier than now.

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 14:26 »
I sowed a line each of Japanese greens(mizuna, mispoona), rocket, beetroot  for leaf, chard,shingiku, mustard greens, and spinach, direct in the tunnel a couple of days ago. The Jap. greens are showing already.
I also sowed some George Richardson lettuce in a 3" pot inside to germinate.They are up now and I shall prick them out and plant out in a few weeks hopefully.

I think it depends on the weather alot at this time of year. The stuff I planted a few weeks ago which I thought would overwinter well, has romped away in the mild weather we are having here. The stuff I have sown now, might not do so well if it turns cold, but I save most of my own seed so I haven't really lost anything if they don't come to much.

I am trying hard this year to make sure we are using the tunnel over winter. Hopefully we shall have at least half of it being productive.

These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 14:46 »
I sowed some radish, Winter Gem lettuce, and mixed oriental spicy salad leaves a few weeks ago in a large tray and they germinated well, but having used spent compost I gave them a good watering with Miracle Grow to give them a boost........they're dying one by one now, damping off no doubt, probably with a bit of botrytis thrown in for good measure from the last remaining toms in the greenhouse.

I might sow a few Winter Gem indoors and try growing them both indoors and in the greenhouse, but I'm not too hopeful, especially as the greenhouse suffers from low light levels in winter due to both its and my garden's location and orientation.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 15:37 »
I've got some great Pak Choi and Mizuna on the go in guttering, loads of Italian parsley now 6" sowed end Sept and lettuces from a Lidl cut and come again pack, some other winter leafy things, some coriander plants doing well (again from a supermarket pot, split into 6 as I'm never organised enough to get them going early enough) and the summer basil is just about hanging in there too.

I've found if you can get them going, they'll stall but sit through a cold snap under fleece (my bottle greenhouse is very draughty) and then perk back. 
I did chuck in some spring onion seed a few days ago, but I'm not really hopeful.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 15:52 »
they're dying one by one now, damping off no doubt, probably with a bit of botrytis thrown in for good measure from the last remaining toms in the greenhouse.

:(

Dunno if you have electric in the greenhouse? but might be worth putting a fan heater on "fan only"?

Last winter, for first time, I put a fan in the [cold] conservatory on a 15-minute segment timer 15-on and 30-off and it was like night and day for moulds compared to previous winters (and last winter was wet, and the previous one dry)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 19:45 »
Thanks for the suggestion Kristen - although I could run an extension lead to the greenhouse I'm not sure it would be worth it just to try to keep a few salad leaves alive (and the setup certainly wouldn't comply with all the relevant legislation, not that I would lose too much sleep over that!  ::))

xx
Who's sowing what now?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2014, 11:55
by Lardman
xx
Is anyone sowing?

12 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 15:57
by pigguns
xx
Cukes? Anyone sowing soon?

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 07:06
by m1ckz
xx
Greenhouse seed sowing

Started by Ghost on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2022, 22:31
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 40 queries.