Autumn fruiting raspberries

• 22 Replies

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
Re: Autumn fruiting raspberries
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 21:53 »
Hi
I'm not sure how old my raspberries are as I acquired them with the plot in Oct.
I'm pretty sure they are Autumn fruiting rasps as when I took The plot on there were still one or two fruits left.
Mine have literally come up in. The last 10 days. Lovely small leaves poking out from the soil surrounding the sticks. I almost pulled some up thinking they were weeds at first! There are still a few plants without any leaves so will be pulling those up if they don't show any signs in the next month.
Manda

JohnB47

Re: No sign of life on my raspberries....
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 23:15 »
I bought some autumn fruiting raspberries (polka) in Feb from Blackmoor Nurseries and planted them out with plenty of compost etc. I still can't see any shoots anywhere and now I am starting to worry that perhaps they are dead - the rest of the plot is springing to life so I know the soil etc is fine.

Have other people's started to shoot up yet and how long should I leave it before I say they are dead? Is there a way of checking if they are alive/dead?

There are only 2 crops I was desperate to be successful this year - raspberries being one of them so I will be gutted if they are all dead somehow..

Nothing showing on my polka yet, planted spring 2012. They're young plants and it's been cold so im still hopefull.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 18:16 »
I'd wait another week or two before worrying overmuch. I've got 4 autumn raspberry plants - one had noticeable growth now at the base (maybe one inch), one has a hint of green (maybe 1 cm) and two have nothing. All 4 plants cropped approx. the same last year and have had approx. the same care and attention (i.e. not a great deal other than a few scoops of chicken manure). I think this is down to the weather we've had - and I'm in Devon.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 18:20 »
Ok, you have all cheered me up a bit :) I said I would give it to the end of the month and that is mid-week. There had better be some green in Fri afternoon when I go to inspect haha!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 18:28 »
I bought some Polka from Blackmoor last month and so far nothing.  I'm hoping that they're just taking their time and concentrating on putting out roots.... :(

I have been reading several old raspberry threads as well (useful the related threads at the bottom!) and Blackmoor Nurseries crops up a lot when there are problems....

I am beginning to think I might as well have gone to pound land rather than invest in what I thought were quality plants!

Let me know if yours start shooting..
I don't think you can blame the Blackmoor, I got some apple trees which are budding nicely.  I got my polka from T&M and they were very nice looking plants then.  I have a suspicion that they are a variety which don't do well in the cold and wet
Anne

willp

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15 »
I wouldn`t panic just yet. Mine have literally only started showing anything in the last couple of days and they are well established plants (3yrs).

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 20:02 »
Yay - half of mine have a tiny green shoot each when I went to look at them tonight. Guess I need to learn to be more patient :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

clip

Started by EssexPete on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 19:57
by greenjay
xx
Autumn Fruiting Raspberries

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 11:59
by LilacSandy
xx

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 17:48
by londongardener
xx

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 14:33
by Yorkshire Lass

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.