Best return??

• 23 Replies
Best return??
« on: March 27, 2010, 21:24 »
Hi,

If it is not a taboo subject, could I ask your opinion?

With reference to an allotment, or two to be more precise, but owned by separate people.
If you were unable to manage more than half of the allotment for “your favourites”, what in your opinion would be the best return per given area.

I mean which plants would you consider would give you the best return for the least upkeep? In particular the least amount of watering and weeding.

Can be edible of non edible, just the best return…if you see what I mean!!!

Cheers Steve

gypsy

Re: Best return??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 21:26 »
Onions are fairly self caring.
Catherine

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 21:29 »
runner beans and courgette are big croppers and cut and come again leaf and swiss chard :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 21:44 »
Why do you ask Steve?
Cheese makes everything better.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 21:51 »
Why do you ask Steve?

Well rather than leave it unused I would prefer to try and fill it with "something". Have considered some stinging nettle for eating and for the compost heap.

Cheers

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:05 »
On our site anyone who cannot manage to upkeep all of their plot has half of it taken away and let to someone on the waiting list. 

Allotments are in such sort supply nowadays and the waiting lists so long that unproductive plots are not acceptable.

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 13:48 »
On our site anyone who cannot manage to upkeep all of their plot has half of it taken away and let to someone on the waiting list. 

Allotments are in such sort supply nowadays and the waiting lists so long that unproductive plots are not acceptable.
That is a good idea, it takes the pressure off the people who want a plot but it is just too much for them to cope with, but do the new comers not get a bad reception sometimes from people who were reluctant to give up some of their plot even though they did not cultivate it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 13:51 »
No not usually as we give them a choice - Lose all the plot or only half.  They are usually quite pleased to be allowed to keep half of it.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 13:54 »
I'd suggest Squashes/Gourds.

Lots of growth to supress weeds. Just needs water.

Don't go with the nettles. Hard to control and may annoy neighbours when they spread.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 13:56 »
We were asked if we wanted a whole or half, and as there is just us we said half as things like salad and tomatoes I will have at home. That's if the council ever get they're ****** in gear and get the site up and running! >:(

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 13:57 »
Why do you ask Steve?

Well rather than leave it unused I would prefer to try and fill it with "something". Have considered some stinging nettle for eating and for the compost heap.

Cheers

I'd cover it with cardboard [with a mulch of manure underneath if I had any]. Then plant through it with main crop spuds and beans [to be left until dry and used as dried rather than as green beans]. One or two days work and you can leave them to it until August/Sept. And the odd winter squash in the corners to roam all over the place. Plus when you dig it over, all the weeds will be weaker and the soil richer from the cardboard.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 14:08 by zazen999 »

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 14:01 »
Spuds are good, as are parsnips and leeks if you want to take up space for several months. 

Best return for the pocket is that which is easily storable, pumpkins/squashes. or if you have a large freezer, runners and french beans, mangetout, sweetcorn.

I'm guessing you're round Devizes way, so you should have a long enough season for the pumpkins if you get them going now-ish.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 22:46 »
Quote from:
I'm guessing you're round Devizes way, so you should have a long enough season for the pumpkins if you get them going now-ish.
[/quote

Just out of interest.......how can you work out where someone posts from, as I cannot remember quoting where I live when I regestered?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 02:29 »
Perennial herbs - chives always come up again.  Rhubarb.  How about flowers for cutting?  I always try and find a space for sweet peas.  And wallflowers and sweet williams which can raise from seed and use to fill spaces in the garden to flower the following spring.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51 »
Quote from:
[/quote

Just out of interest.......how can you work out where someone posts from, as I cannot remember quoting where I live when I regestered?

Where are you from?
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

xx
return of the evil ones!

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 22:25
by Elaine G
xx
Return of the courgette fairy

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 13:33
by Endymion
xx
In search of a 'better return' tomato.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 06:59
by Growster...
xx
Return of the Christmas spuds...

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:26
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.