how to introduce new cats to an old one?

• 9 Replies

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
how to introduce new cats to an old one?
« on: April 19, 2014, 16:41 »
Hi
I have a male tabby called Mac who has been with us for 16 years. He's pretty much ruled the roost the whole of that time.  Now a friend is emigrating and is looking to rehome his two male cats who are 7 years old and brothers. They are a very loving pair but my own tabby is infamous for being grumpy and only friendly on his terms.  I've said we'll do a trial run and see how it goes. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?  How do I make sure that my 16 year old buddy doesn't pack his bowls and move out?
Any advice please?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: how to introduce new cats to an old one?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 18:12 »
No previous experience but you could try something like feliway plug in to relax him a little.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 21:26 »
Could you introduce him to their house first, perhaps with them not in it so he is acquainted with their smells?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 21:48 »
in the past we have followed all the advice, to no avail, we have since just let the new cat / cats in with the rest, you may have a couple of spats until they sort out the pecking order, just be ready to allow one or other parties a bolt hole that is just theirs for a bit - we have 4 boys now aged from a few years to 20, do they all get on - not all the time, but any fights are fights amongst a peer group, rather than all out war, and to be honest the two that fight most often are the two brothers from the same litter. (we also have two girls aged about 18 months and 14, they too occasionally have a grump with one of the boys, but nothing serious)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 21:51 »
A long time ago, we had a male cat which we'd got as a kitten.

When he was about four, we got another cat [a female kitten].
He hated her. His behaviour changed and he wouldn't be in the same room with her.
She was more intelligent than him, and she kept out of his way.

Then, one Halloween, she just disappeared. We never saw her again. But the male cat's behaviour changed instantly for the better, and we reckoned that he knew where her body was.

He eventually passed on aged 17.

Then we ended up adopting three feral kittens that had been born in next door's garden shed.
We had them neutered, and at that point found that we had two males and a female.

That was about six years ago, and we still have them.

However, the female is the smallest and nicest, but she is bullied by her brothers.
In turn, the larger male bullies his brother, and sometimes they have fur flying.

So, our conclusion?

One cat is fine.
Two cats may be OK.
More than two cats - No!

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 21:58 »
I tried the Feliway diffuser when introducing a new 3 month old kitten to my two 8 month old brother and sister kittens. I would like to think it worked to a degree but it took about 2 weeks of 'this is my territory' spats to get the pecking order sorted. Ben the boy was perfectly happy with a play mate, it was Gerri the girl who took an immediate dislike to Haagen the kitten and would stalk her around the house hissing at every opportunity. The kittens bolthole was behind the sofa. They still have the occasional fight but now eat and drink from the same bowl and sleep on the same sofa and will stay longer than 2 minutes in the same room together. At one point I had bathroom cat, bedroom cat and lounge cat where they were each trying to stay out of the others way!  :lol:

markyspark

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:02 »
We always rub a clean cloth on the new cat then rub doors, skirting boards etc and then put the new cat in one of the bedrooms for a couple of days

After the two days we allow the other cats near the bedroom with the new cat in it

Theres normally a few odd noises and a hisses but once this settles down we let the new cat out to mingle with the others

We have done this everytime and with a little patience its always worked

We had 14 cats at one point, now we are down to 9 and they get on fine, even with the dog

Just take it steady and separate the cats if it gets too much

I hope it all goes well

Mark

grendel

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 14:25 »
well ours are pretty relaxed around each other now, here are the two oldest with one of the younger boys.
Grendel
IMG00115-20140420-1136.jpg

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 16:30 »
Thanks for all your replies.  I've got some herbal "happy juice" which the vet gave me last time Mac got stressed.  Just squirt on his food. Seemed to space him out but he loved it, especially when I put it on half a satchet of wet food ( normally forbidden ).  I've also read that a cat enclosure of some sort is useful just for a few hours at a time.  My sister has a spare large dog cage which could do the trick whilst introductions are taking place.  Fortunately I can shut Mac in the utility room overnight so he has access to the garden as normal,  whilst keeping the new boys in the kitchen. I also think swopping "smelly" blankets a week in advance could be a good idea.
Please keep the tips and advice coming. I'll let you know how it goes.  Paws crossed!

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 13:54 »
I've introduced a kitten to  two young adult cats in the past.

I now have two boys and a girl, with one of the boys being the youngest.  At the time you couldn't get Feliway in France, so I tried just about everything else, including dropping vanilla food flavouring onto all of them.

In the end I just let them get on with it, and although the brother and sister were really mean to the younger on at first, they do all get on (for the most part) now.

We haven't had any significant fights, but they do growl and hiss at one another constantly (before all sleeping in the same space  ::) )

It has taken 2 years before they will all occupy the same space though!

xx
I would like to introduce to you:

Started by boosmummy on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 10:16
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.